Author Topic: Favorite film composer  (Read 16625 times)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
Re: Favorite film composer
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »
Bumping this back from the dead. A sublime score is everything.

Victor Young destroys me. Can never listen to him with company around, I always end up in floods of tears crying

Phillip Glass. Although the films attached may be pish. Glass always delivers.

Goblin. Can you imagine those Argento films without Goblin? If the Suspiria score isn't the greatest idk whats wrong with you.

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis. Favourite working composers hands down. I've gone to see films that they've scored when I've not been interested in the film itself. There isn't another I can say that about.

Oh, big up to Angelo Badalamenti too! thumbsup.gif

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 08:36:27 PM »
Henry Mancini:

Here are some:
-THE PINK PANTHER (1964) /
-THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER (1975)
-BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY S (1961) /
-CHARADE (1963)
-HATARI! (1962) /
-OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973)
-WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY? (1966) /
-HIGH TIME (1960)
-EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962) /
-DARLING LILI (1970)
-GUNN (1967) /
-WHO IS KILLING THE GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE? (1978)
-TWO FOR THE ROAD (1967) /
-ARABESQUE (1966)
-THE GREAT RACE (1965) /
-ME, NATALIE (1969)
THE PARTY (1968) /
VISIONS OF EIGHT (1973)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »
A handful whose music I do enjoy:

Alex North (his unused score for 2001, A Space Odyssey is awesome)
Jerry Goldsmith (his unused score for Legend (1985) is outstanding, imo)
James Newton Howard
Carter Burwell
John Barry (love his score for Dances With Wolves)

And as ladeda mentioned -  Angelo Badalamenti (his Twin Peaks, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive scores are all worth a listen to, on their own).

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 01:26:44 AM »
Plenty of great names there.... 

Ennio Morricone, clearly, but I prefer his Italian horror composition, especially  A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN, which is great.  He got an award for that Tarantino movie recently which is very similar to what he used to do in the Italian Giallo. He said it himself in an interview, the western-spaghetti music is mainstream music and not his best, he prefers himself the composition work done on Giallo. 

Wendy Carlos, because of the gender change and that deep sound in Clockwork Orange which stick you to the wall and Shining. What an odd story! thumbsup.gif

Let's go global !!
You can't ignore dad and son, S. D. Burman and R D Burman, the most famous Bollywood composers.
Jewel Thief by S.D. Burman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4S1zs4KPxY&list=PL82570BF6C2F8F6EB&index=9
The song was sung by Asha Bhosle and R.D. Burman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcwNTdrJFMI&list=PL82570BF6C2F8F6EB&index=20

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
Wendy Carlos, because of the gender change and that deep sound in Clockwork Orange which stick you to the wall and Shining. What an odd story! thumbsup.gif

Wendy Carlos is a great call! The Clockwork Orange score was the catalyst for the whole synth/electronic movement.