Author Topic: Want to mount posters but be able to swap them out occasionally. Suggestions?  (Read 7914 times)

Offline motsm

• Beginner
I have US one sheet frames and have recently been getting more into international posters, many of which are smaller than my frames. So I purchased mats of the various sizes I needed, but the further in from the frame the edge of the poster is, the less pressure it has on it, so some of the posters aren't properly secured. I have looked into low tack double sided archival tape, but I like to swap posters out somewhat regularly, so I'm not sure how reusable it is, as it would be a hassle having to buy and re-tape frequently. Does anyone have experience with it?

I also looked into the clear plastic mounting strips / corners, but I chose a very small mat overlap, so there is no real room to hide them.

My one idea would simply be a small strip of thin rubber like tape attached to the backing board, as I think it would have enough grip to keep the poster in place under the pressure in the frame. That said, I haven't seen any product like that.

Would love some suggestions.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
I have US one sheet frames and have recently been getting more into international posters, many of which are smaller than my frames. So I purchased mats of the various sizes I needed, but the further in from the frame the edge of the poster is, the less pressure it has on it, so some of the posters aren't properly secured. I have looked into low tack double sided archival tape, but I like to swap posters out somewhat regularly, so I'm not sure how reusable it is, as it would be a hassle having to buy and re-tape frequently. Does anyone have experience with it?

I also looked into the clear plastic mounting strips / corners, but I chose a very small mat overlap, so there is no real room to hide them.

My one idea would simply be a small strip of thin rubber like tape attached to the backing board, as I think it would have enough grip to keep the poster in place under the pressure in the frame. That said, I haven't seen any product like that.

Would love some suggestions.

I really don't like the idea of adding tape or glue against a poster.  Just look at a large number of older posters with permanent stains from tape marks, either direct or bleeding through.  Cellophane tape marks are the worst, but I'm not sure if we have data on safety of the removable 3M strips long term effects

Go with the spotlight front opening frames.  Pick an acid free matt board to replace the rear pet-g layer.  Create the sandwich and then snap it together as a unit.  Use a non-glossy mat tboard that has a bit of roughness to the surface.

Alternately, go with the conventional metal frame, but assemble it facing up and hanging slightly over the edge so you can tighten the rail.  Use the foamcore for the backing, but insert a layer of acid free construction paper as a backing matte.  if you carefully add the clips while still facing up, it shouldn't slip.  This is an exceptional case where a large number of clips should be used.
-Jay-

Offline motsm

• Beginner
I would only use archival tape, if tape is the route I ended up going, as I've certainly seen those ugly stains as well. I do agree to an extent though, I don't love the idea of tape directly on the poster without reading a bit more about them.

I already have frames I like, and the backing does have a matte finish like you are describing, but it's not quite enough to keep everything in place with the small overlap of the mat.

Use the foamcore for the backing, but insert a layer of acid free construction paper as a backing matte.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying the paper layer will do here?

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
How about just adding mat board behind the poster so it isnt as likely to slip? One or possibly two pieces will add pressure.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:01:51 PM by jedgerley »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Or perhaps get archival, acid-free mats for the poster sizes you have. Between the backing board (foam core) and the front mat, this should be enough to hold any poster of that size in place, without the need for tape, archival or otherwise.  :)

I'm assuming, tho, that you don't really want to "mount" (adhere) the posters to any kind of backing board?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:54:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline motsm

• Beginner
I'm assuming, tho, that you don't really want to "mount" (adhere) the posters to any kind of backing board?
Not in any permanent way, no.

How about just adding mat board behind the poster so it isnt as likely to slip? One or possibly two pieces will add pressure.
I have actually done something similar before, but with a couple pieces of thick acid free paper and I remember it wasn't too bad. I never tried it with mat board, but it might do the trick if I don't come up with something else.

Thanks for the ideas.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Yes, earlier I was suggesting that you place the posters in front of uncut matte board.
Matte board does not do well, even if properly sized unless the poster has been backed to provide stiffness.  That's why Michaels always wants to dry mount them.
-Jay-