Author Topic: Star Wars VIII: THE LAST JEDI - 2017-12-15  (Read 41669 times)

guest4955

Star Wars VIII: THE LAST JEDI - 2017-12-15
« on: September 08, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »

guest4955

Re: Star Wars VIII: THE LAST JEDI - 2017-12-15
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:11:27 PM »
The hype is starting to build for this one.

5 of the inflation-adjusted movie grosses have been for SW films and SW8 is likely to join them.

guest4955

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-rian-johnson.html

In this article the director Ran Johnson reveals that he did not immediately say "yes" when he was tapped to direct!

He was essentially given a tabula rasa to write SW8.

guest4955

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »

The EW article reveals that Luke Skywalker does not give Rey a friendly welcome, unlike Ben Kenobi's reception of him.

It also discusses the death of Carrie Fisher after filming had concluded. The studio pledges not to use CGI to recreate her in SW9.

(As it happens the studio recently fired the director of SW9.)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:01:24 PM »
(As it happens the studio recently fired the director of SW9.)

As well as the director of the Han Solo origins movie??

(Wasn't even aware SW9 directorial duties had been assigned as yet?)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »

Luke looks like a little old man, in search of his next Guinness (on tap).   :'(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:41:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »
BIG NEWS in Star Wars world: JJ Abrams, direct]or/writer of SW7, will also write and direct SW9!

The "knock" on JJA is that he "rehashes" old SW plot lines:

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-criticism-jj-abrams-rip-off/

Indeed, when we finally got to experience The Force Awakens, we discovered that Abrams and co-writer Lawrence Kasdan used the story template of the original Star Wars, effectively building their film on top of the skeletal foundation of A New Hope. There’s a lonely reluctant hero awaiting “something bigger” who gets roped into a big adventure to vanquish evil; there’s a cavalier, dashing pilot; there’s a finale that involves said pilot driving into one very specific weakness in the enemy’s big weapon, which is essentially another Death Star.

As it turns out, these aren’t just coincidences, this was all part of Abrams and Kasdan’s plan. Speaking with THR, Abrams addressed complaints that The Force Awakens is simply a rehash of a Star Wars story fans know already:

“It was obviously a wildly intentional thing that we go backwards, in some ways, to go forwards in the important ways, given that this is a genre — that Star Wars is a kind of specific gorgeous concoction of George [Lucas]’s — that combines all sorts of things. Ultimately the structure of Star Wars itself is as classic and tried and true as you can get. It was itself derivative of all of these things that George loved so much, from the most obvious, Flash Gordon and Joseph Campbell, to the [Akira] Kurosawa references, to Westerns — I mean, all of these elements were part of what made Star Wars.”

guest4955

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
Some random Star Wars trivia today.

Before GL sold LucasFilm to Disney I read a long article about SW and learned a few tidbits:

-   During the making of SW4, Lucas was openly despondent. The initial special effects were very late and of poor quality. It was over-budget and Fox had no faith in the movie. The unionized camera crew and staff refused to work after 5pm. So the actors did everything they could to cheer him up.
-   Harrison Ford aggressively lobbied Lucas to kill off his Han Solo character in ROTJ or even ESB but Lucas refused.
-   In later years Ford didn’t want to answer interview questions about Solo. He disdained the character and its importance to his career.

Disney required GL to convince Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford to reprise their roles in SW7.

When news of the sale of LucasFilm broke, I remembered the earlier article and thought that maybe Ford only agreed to participate in SW7 if they killed off Solo.

I didn’t think they would agree to that but I was wrong. (I was one of the few who anticipated Solo's possible death in SW7.)

Ford recently confirmed that he was the driving force:

guest4955

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 08:13:40 AM »
No comments! 53K in less than 24 hrs. on YT! 40 million views....    8)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
I thought the new trailer was pretty dramatic.
Raised my interest level a few more notches.

guest4955

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »
Must read article in today's NYT about Mark Hamill.
- MH planned to decline to be in the new movies ... until Harrison Ford agreed to.  “Can you imagine if I was the only one to say no? I’d be the most hated man in nerd-dom.”
- MH was not happy about his tiny role in TFA.
- More remorsefully, Mr. Hamill spoke of his frustration that Ms. Fisher would not get to complete this trilogy of films. “She deserved that second act,” he said. “Harrison was more prominent in VII, I’m more prominent in this one, and she was meant to be more prominent in the last one. Her timing was perfect, except in this case.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
Good read.  Thanks Mel.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
Every time I see the trailer I'm thinking of the Karate Kid with Hillary Swank, with Luke as Mr Miyagi telling Rey to wax on wax off. I Hope Im wrong but this film is looking like a stinker
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:02:08 PM by mahmudf »

guest4955

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »

Internet is obsessed with the new plan. Consensus is that TLJ must be really good if they're handing the franchise to him:

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 09:50:26 PM »
I bailed out when I saw ads showing Jabba the Hut. So I think I saw the first two movies only

Is this saying there will be 3 more films beyond the 9 in the original vision? not sure I care or why I opened this thread

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 10:18:21 PM »
My 3 year old son is so obsessed with Star Wars (he dressed up as Darth Vader for Halloween and I was a Storm Trooper!) I'm glad he will get to grow up with it the same way I did (as if it was ever in question since Disney acquired Lucas).  Disney will milk the franchise, but with someone as talented as Kennedy at the helm, I'm hopeful.  If it was in the hands of Lucas, I'd have serious doubts.

Check out my little Darth Vader!!!  Yes, the Galaxy is still young!!!

T
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:19:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 10:33:53 PM »
I bailed out when I saw ads showing Jabba the Hut. So I think I saw the first two movies only

Is this saying there will be 3 more films beyond the 9 in the original vision? not sure I care or why I opened this thread

Please read and summarize all 3K comments in the last 3 hrs for the benefit of APF  8)

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/7bwnbi/rian_johnson_is_making_a_new_star_wars_trilogy/

guest4955

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 10:37:42 PM »

Check out my little Darth Vader!!!  Yes, the Galaxy is still young!!!

T

Super-cute  :D

guest4955

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 06:41:05 AM »
22 days but who's counting?x :o

guest4955

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 03:15:37 AM »
To prepare for TLJ, I rented SW7:TFA to watch on my newish 4K TV.

In Dec 2015 when it came out, I had zero interest in MPs, so paid no attention to them. Checking them out now on IMPawards, they're nothing special. This one is somehow official and it's pretty funny:

Anyways I didn't like Rogue One in theaters but liked it much better when I saw it again recently.

I'm hoping for a similar experience with TFA. IMO JJ Abrams "blew it" like he did with Star Trek 2 (reboot). A THIRD Death Star? So so lame.

Did you all like it?

Star Wars: The Force Awakens received overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics.[364] On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 93% approval rating based on 376 reviews, with a rating average of 8.2/10. The website's critical consensus reads "Packed with action and populated by both familiar faces and fresh blood, The Force Awakens successfully recalls the series' former glory while injecting it with renewed energy."[365] On Metacritic, the film has a score of 81 out of 100, based on 54 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".[366] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale; women, under-25s and under-18s gave it an "A+", while 98% of audiences gave it either an "A" or a "B".

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »
Abrams had the hardest job... Lure in Baby Boomers, Gen X, Y and Z back in theaters and please everyone.  Please the original trilogy fans, the Episode 1-3 fans, and create a new generation of fans.  Not an easy task.  Lots of parameters to respect.  I think he succeeded admirably.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 03:49:12 PM »
I understand the criticism that Force Awakens is derivative, but I really liked it a lot. Mainly because I thing the cast is pretty charismatic and likeable (Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo Renn), but also because I thought JJ also did really well at capturing some 'magic moments', a good balance of nostalgia and new. I'm looking forward to Last Jedi...if they've given Rian Johnson a whole new trilogy, it must be pretty decent?

guest4955

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:01 PM »
Abrams had the hardest job... Lure in Baby Boomers, Gen X, Y and Z back in theaters and please everyone.  Please the original trilogy fans, the Episode 1-3 fans, and create a new generation of fans.  Not an easy task.  Lots of parameters to respect.  I think he succeeded admirably.

T

I understand the criticism that Force Awakens is derivative, but I really liked it a lot. Mainly because I thing the cast is pretty charismatic and likeable (Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo Renn), but also because I thought JJ also did really well at capturing some 'magic moments', a good balance of nostalgia and new. I'm looking forward to Last Jedi...if they've given Rian Johnson a whole new trilogy, it must be pretty decent?

Oh, if y'all were near me....