Author Topic: September 2017  (Read 21332 times)

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
Re: September 2017
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »
Oh, sorry Rich, the La Legge I posted is 25.5cm x 72cm

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
Really nice pieces there, Devin. 

I really like this Osaka Festival poster, too.   cool1

-Jeff

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »
Thanks Jeff :D  The poster has quite a shine to it!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
Oh, sorry Rich, the La Legge I posted is 25.5cm x 72cm

oh by golly it was you. I thought that was Mel's post. Cool Hand Luke also, Speed poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »
Lol Hicks posted the speed posters.

Awesome pick-ups!

MEL now that is a badass She Monster! Now I want that size instead of a one sheet. Time for me to change my save searches. But wow. Love it.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 06:47:45 PM »
MEL now that is a badass She Monster! Now I want that size instead of a one sheet. Time for me to change my save searches. But wow. Love it.

it does look better, because it has a better color scheme

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »
My mistake... I thought that if there was writing on the back about the story / cast / production it was still designated a press sheet.

Yes, if it's got cast/crew/movie info on the back it's a press poster. If not it's a speed. Either way they typically come in two sizes -- B4 (half a B2 vertically) or B3 (half or less of a B2 horizontally).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
Im really liking the Cool Hand Luke piece, too, Devin. clap clap clap

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
Yes, if it's got cast/crew/movie info on the back it's a press poster. If not it's a speed. Either way they typically come in two sizes -- B4 (half a B2 vertically) or B3 (half or less of a B2 horizontally).

Sean says they are both Speed posters

-------

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »
Superb. Must have set you back bit. Looks great condition too. Congrats on that one.

I am no fan of linenbacked posters unless I have it done myself, so it has taken me 17 years (since I started collecting) to locate one of these.  It could be the only folded one in existence and it is mint.

Still pondering over whether I will put it up or shove it in a drawer.  It might scare my kids.  We'll see.

T

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 12:07:15 AM »

The B paper sizes are very precise, with each being half the size of the next higher number.
B4 would be half of a B3 poster (and about 10" x 14" in size), not half a B2 and is definitely not the size a vertical speed or press poster would be.
Horizontal B3 posters (which are 36.4 x 51.5cm or about 14" x 20") are most typically used in train cars (and called nakazuri posters). Up through the late 40s, vertical B3 posters were also a standard size for regular film posters (like the Japanese Casablanca Heritage sold in their last auction).

Pretty sure every speed poster I've seen has been that half of a B2 vertical size (about 14.3" x 28.6") Harry mentioned, but press posters can vary widely, from that size to smaller (as small as 10" x 20"). Can't think of a horizontal press poster that was as big as a B3 (though many are that length), but I have seen vertical ones that size.

It's important to remember that up until the 60s, many times the press sheet poster was the speed poster - as in there was no separate speed poster printed for the film like there might have been in the later 60s or 70s

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 12:26:18 AM »
Superb. Must have set you back bit. Looks great condition too. Congrats on that one.

Yes, it was a bit on the expensive side, but a little less than the $13k the last linenbacked one sold at HA a month or so ago.  I so wanted a folded version that I would have actually paid more, but don't tell my source ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »
Yes, it was a bit on the expensive side, but a little less than the $13k the last linenbacked one sold at HA a month or so ago.  I so wanted a folded version that I would have actually paid more, but don't tell my source ;)

T

I'm kind of lucky on that title.
while I am a major Cocteau fan and have been since I was 11 years old when I saw his films on PBS in NYC, B&B is actually not one of my favorites, so whether I get the one panel or not isn't important. Orpheus is my fave Cocteau film (and one of my favorite all-around films), and that title I actively look for material.

B&B is a great poster, but at that price level, I'd rather own a stack of gambling or Chandler pieces

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
B&B is a great poster, but at that price level, I'd rather own a stack of gambling or Chandler pieces

And that's why we're all different.  I couldn't care less about Chandler or gambling so I leave it all to you.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »
And that's why we're all different.  I couldn't care less about Chandler or gambling so I leave it all to you.

thumbsup.gif

T

Likey.jpg

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »
Been really slow lately.  Can't find anything I really like, or if I do, it's linenbacked, so I pass.  Also, I drowned my computer in the hot tub and I hate bidding from my phone (except on Bruce's stuff when I jog).

Here are a few little things I got in the past couple of weeks.

And by far my fav, just because I love the movie so much, a "harder to find" German A0 for Lolita (I hate using the word "rare" because really not that many posters are rare).

Goes well with my other Lolita A0.  Wolfgang said he had never seen it before, even in Germany.  Score! ;)

T
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:41:24 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »
nice Lolitas

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 05:50:41 PM »

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 06:34:12 PM »
I'm with you Thierry, it seems that every poster I come across that I might be interested in buying is linen-backed these days.  Hence my decision a couple of years ago to relax my strict rule about it so as to occasionally acquire a backed poster (provided that it's larger than a one-sheet).  It's getting really frustrating though.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2017, 08:15:37 PM »
Well, I'm not there yet. 

Like I said, I waited 17 years to find a folded La Belle et la Bête, I almost bought a linenbacked version twice, once years ago and then a few months ago at Heritage.  I'm glad I didn't, because it eventually turned up.  The good news is, there are so many posters I want, I don't have to wait for a specific folded one because there is always another one to buy.  So I wasn't specifically looking for B&B, but when I found it, I jumped in.

I think I own 40 or so LB posters, half I had linenbacked because of condition and because I knew I wouldn't find them folded, half I bought linenbacked for the same reasons.  Like these...  Never saw them again.  Had to have them.

If I know there is at least one folded copy out there, I'll wait.  It is a limitation, you're right, but we all have some :)

T
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:22:44 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »
Those French 1ps get so brittle you can barely unfold them to potential buyers without aggravating them (the poster, not the buyer!) Not surprised they will turn up linenbacked.  The paper has a very different texture/composition than american paper of the same period. 

On the other hand the colors are extremely well preserved as they melt into the paper beautifully. 

The more important question for T is how much did you pay for shipping?!   ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:45 PM »
The more important question for T is how much did you pay for shipping?!   ;D

I hate paying for shipping, so I always want the cheapest.  I don't care for insurance, I don't care for speed, everything gets to me one way or the other.  B&B was $15.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »
you folks need to stop monkeying around

I don't think I can 'bear it'

nice kitty kats...

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »
Nice trio there, Rich.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff