Author Topic: Best 2017 Movie Posters....  (Read 23351 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Best 2017 Movie Posters....
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »
Thanks Tob.
I follow HCG, and just checked Fandango (Thanks Mardukas) but 18x24s and 11x17s are still too small for me.
I guess I'm still just old fashioned.
 cheers

guest4955

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
Nowadays visit impawards.com daily, usually Sucksville, not today:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »
Seems the "floating head" design will never die after being used for decades

If I was going for the "floating/severed head" look poster, I'd personally take the Dracula '31 OS, currently in HA's upcoming Sig auction.  notworthy.gif

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:23:24 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 03:41:14 PM »
Nowadays visit impawards.com daily, usually Sucksville, not today:

That's pretty well done.  It's always good when designers try a little harder.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2017, 04:01:27 AM »
Y'all don't like; I don't care  :P

Notice the subtle change?

'Bout time the #1 actor, #1 actress, #1 director combined forces:

guest4955

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 05:11:45 PM »
Both excellent IMO:

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »
man there are so many butt fork ugly posters in this thread. They insult the truly nice posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2017, 09:41:45 PM »
^ haha

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2017, 01:03:23 AM »
Many, imho, look like they were "phoned in" by graphics interns, who are also a wiz with photoshop.

The Justice League poster is a perfect example. With just a few clicks, the Superman character image was able to be quickly added.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2017, 01:15:13 AM »
there's not a lot of originality shown here. The poster for Lure is definitely cool, but even the posters chosen my IMPA.. half of those are boring. the second Baby Driver poster is another cliche style image (reflected in Suburbia) and even the Skull Island poster I think is a bore, because there is nothing original in it. To those who like it, I ask "do you like it because it's a swipe of a Bob Peak?". The artist could have done something showing some creativity and instead chose to waste his obvious talent.

I think 1 in 5 posters shown in this thread is cool.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

guest4955

« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2017, 06:18:18 AM »
Such a joy hanging out with so many APF "commentards"/non-contributors!  ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2017, 10:36:55 AM »
Keep them coming, Mel.  I, for one, enjoy seeing them, but only if they are actually printed.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »
I enjoy seeing your choices too, but maybe your thread should have been had a 'My' at the start of it.  :P

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
I enjoy seeing your choices too, but maybe your thread should have been had a 'My' at the start of it.  :P

whether the list is subjective or not is part of this thread and I agree it should be titled "my favorite posters of 2017" or something like that, there are really many posters that just suck for design and artistic quality. The second poster for Suburbia is so ugly, but the first one is cliche, as that design of red/white or red/white/black etc is an overused nothing of a design. The worst thing about some of these posters is that they show how lacking the designers are in original concepts, but it also shows how the promotional team involved lacks any artistic understanding themselves and could not possibly bring out the best in the artists and therefore, original and attractive promotional campaigns. As a result, real artists are stifled by the lack of values, which is of course why the best poster designs (by percentage of material produced) are not actual movie posters, but the art print versions of posters that the Mondo variety produce, in which the artists are clearly given free reign to let their creativity flow

(note, I do not think that all such prints are without critique. Too often, while the art itself is of high quality, the designs are boring, the scenes are not truly representative of the film or valued promotional techniques)

Of course, I actually come from the art world and look at all of these pieces from a particular viewpoint that I don't expect everyone to understand. So I'm looking to art values and I don't see art values in more of the posters shown in this thread than I do see art value. Part of it is the audience of course, because advertising today is frequently done with a focus towards a dumbed-down film goer, as well as the fact that posters in general are a dying art in the professional field, driven by photographic head shots rather than innovative narrative techniques, something that has been spoken about numerous times on this board, in dozens of threads since the forum was started.

and to be sure, I like seeing the posters regardless. It's the titling that fakes the content

and by the way Mel, your comment reply is just stupid.

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
None of these posters aspire to have an artistic value.  They are not meant to be studied or collected.  They are meant to sell a product, an actor, a concept, a movie.  They are a marketing tool.  Whether we think they are nice or not has absolutely zero relevance.
T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2017, 04:05:18 PM »
None of these posters aspire to have an artistic value.  They are not meant to be studied or collected.  They are meant to sell a product, an actor, a concept, a movie.  They are a marketing tool.  Whether we think they are nice or not has absolutely zero relevance.
T

not exactly true T.
factually, if we don't think something of the posters, we aren't going to see the movies. So it is imperative that the posters are eye catching (we call this 'irritating the eye') and generally, narrative, meaning that they say something about the film. Among the problems with these posters shown: 1) too busy, with the hope that a kaleidoscope of color will hypnotize the viewer 2) too spare hoping the viewer thinks that spareness=interesting.. and 3) a general lack of originality

To me, the Skull Island poster is a particular cheat. The artist could have done so much more, but he chose 'safe' rather than 'spectacularly different.

but hey, to be honest, these posters also reflect a particular lack of creativity in film today - that the movies are hoping the action of the film and the special effects will take your mind off the fact that the stories are dull and repetitive and as a result, the posters are repetitive as well, because most of the executives are boring stuffed shirts and films are too beholding to financial backers, rather than the artists. Factually, there isn't even a division of process anymore from the financial to the creative (the Universal Dark Universe being a particular example)

then you add the difference in education, where everything is done in computers and the main push is towards using the same elements over & over, ad nauseam

again, this is why the prints are better today, because in their case, the only things they are trying to sell is the poster itself, not the film from which the idea has hatched.

-------

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
Didn't see the film. Have no intention of seeing the film, but this is neat!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 05:43:12 PM »
^ She is giving away her heart, what a sweet girl