Author Topic: Building my own poster storage boxes  (Read 10663 times)

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
Building my own poster storage boxes
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:18 PM »
I don't have room for a plan chest so was looking at making some simple boxes to store my rolled posters flat in.

I wondered if it mattered what wood I used for this? I intend to put the posters in sleeves so they won't be in direct contact with the wood.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Building my own poster storage boxes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »
I'm no expert, but perhaps avoid MDF or plywood because of the glues used and potential for fumes? Although it's probably negligible because of the sleeves.

This thread on EB might be useful, there is some general information and some links to plan chest restorations (although the majority are US ones so are metal)
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130405

My flat file is full, so whilst I work on persuading my wife to get another one, I made a poster coffin from a LCD TV removal box from Argos. It's crude, but fits under my daughter's bed and does the job for now (posters/prints are sleeved too).

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
Not really cheap, but Bags Unlimited does sell archival boxes which can be stacked and have a drop front:
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/6951/museum-font-colorredposterfont-storage-boxes-drop-front-font-color778899blue-grayfont

Trade $$ for effort.  As was mentioned, plywood contains corrosive glues and those would be difficult to block.
-Jay-

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I was considering using Spruce furniture board rather than MDF or Ply. I never considered the glue issue though and I was going to glue and screw the box together so maybe keep away from the glue now.

The cardboard box idea is interesting. I like the look of those from bags unlimited but fear the shipping would be crippling. Maybe I just need to convince the wife we need a new TV. Just wish I had space to store them like you pros.

Offline motsm

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 12:29:25 AM »
I would never be worried about fumes from plywood or wood glue in general, especially so with everything in sleeves. You could always buy plywood that uses soy based adhesives if that puts your mind more at ease. That said, the cardboard used for a TV box is going to be full of who knows what kind of glue anyway, so that should freak you out more than plywood.

I built a cedar chest out of solid lumber, on casters so it can slide under a bed, and it's worked out great for my needs. Not the cheapest or simplest way to do it though. So perhaps it's not what you're after.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
That's a really nice job and pretty much what I was wanting to do. I'm very impressed with what you've built. I'm not sure mine would look as good though, due to my DIY skills.

Offline motsm

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »
That's a really nice job and pretty much what I was wanting to do. I'm very impressed with what you've built. I'm not sure mine would look as good though, due to my DIY skills.
Thanks, the pictures cover up some my shortcuts and mistakes heh.

What kind of tools do you have for the project?

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 01:42:05 AM »
I only have the basics so that could also be an obstacle.

I've been trying to work out what kind of wood plan chests were originally made of. Some do look like they have plywood used for the bottom of the drawers although I could be wrong.

Offline motsm

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
I only have the basics so that could also be an obstacle.

I've been trying to work out what kind of wood plan chests were originally made of. Some do look like they have plywood used for the bottom of the drawers although I could be wrong.
Plywood will be common, since solid wood will shrink and expand with humidity changes. This can be an issue with drawers and chests, since the bottom is boxed in on all sides, it may push and pull joints apart, or start sticking when you try and open and close it, unless you work around it. Plywood makes things a lot simpler.

Is a table saw part of your basics?

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
I have access to one, but was considering getting my timber cut at the merchants. I'm finding it difficult to find a DIY store that offers solid wood of a sufficient size for the bottom. That is unless I use Ply, or veneered MDF.

That comes back to the question of glue etc, which is why I was keen to see what materials were used in an original drawer from a plan chest. If many were using Ply, I figured that would be ok for me to use it too.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
Just wondered about using Plywood to create the box and the concerns mentioned. If the posters were in plastic sleeves would this stop any issues with the use of ply?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 04:50:13 PM »
quit being a tightwad and go buy a plan chest.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »
I would love to buy a plan chest, I've been looking at them lovingly on eBay for years and if I had the space I'd buy one in a heart beat. The whole point is though that I don't have the space, hence trying to build these 'boxes' that I'm looking at making to fit under a bed.

In terms of cost they will be about double that of a decent secondhand chest. I've decided to get a carpenter to make them professionally, hence why I want to choose the right materials.

In terms of wood, from looking at various websites, the best choice of wood for storing posters in is unfortunately metal.  :P

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »
I would never be worried about fumes from plywood or wood glue in general, especially so with everything in sleeves. You could always buy plywood that uses soy based adhesives if that puts your mind more at ease. That said, the cardboard used for a TV box is going to be full of who knows what kind of glue anyway, so that should freak you out more than plywood.

I built a cedar chest out of solid lumber, on casters so it can slide under a bed, and it's worked out great for my needs. Not the cheapest or simplest way to do it though. So perhaps it's not what you're after.

Looks nice and very well constructed.  thumbup

And since it's made of cedar, your posters will have that wonderful aroma, too. (Or maybe just the mylar storage bags).  ;D

-Jeff

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »
Not sure if you are bolding Cedar as a subtle hint but apparently it's one of the woods that has the highest naturally occurring acid content.

As I said in my last post, it seems metal is the best choice to prevent these naturally occurring acids that are released from wood.

I agree though, very nice craftsmanship!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »
I was simply commenting on the type of wood used and the nice smell of cedar.  :)

-Jeff