Author Topic: Current releases chat...  (Read 84450 times)

guest4955

Re: Current releases chat...
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
^ This is one of those that should NOT be remade, imo, no matter who the director will be.

Reboots/remakes are taking OVER the entire entertainment world!

Just announced that TV series Murphy Brown is coming back, a la Twin Peaks, Dallas, Roseanne etc.

Jumanji reboot unexpectedly made a gazillion dollars, so there will be a tidal wave of more reboot movies.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-movie-projector-jumanji-20180124-story.html

Guns n' Roses partially reformed and made $400 mill+ on tour so expect more reunions (even if the members still disdain each other.)

guest4955

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »

Saw this with sis' family today, super-fun, funny, instantly forgettable. Critics were lukewarm but I agree with the A- Cinemascore.

Actually checked the official website, which has an old-school game (like this 49yo remembers!):

http://www.jumanjimovie.com/rhinorun/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »
The fact that this remake stars Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson could be a huge red flag of sorts as to the caliber of this flicker, too.   pcorn
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:01:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2018, 01:50:45 AM »

Saw 7/25, only Dunkirk nominated for best, which mostly explains:

Yeah, Oscar voters should vote for the best movies regardless of box office but why not throw in a couple of blockbusters?

guest4955

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2018, 12:59:37 PM »
Saw Three Billboards a couple of nights ago.  Really quite stunning.

Thoroughly recommended.  ...Even if this recommendation Does come from a Bond fan!

Do you get bombarded by TV commercials touting nominations over there?

I almost feel guilty NOT trotting down to the theater to see these movies after seeing the US commercials!

Can't find US Oscar nomination commercials but here's UK:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lWV5pFCriUI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lWV5pFCriUI</a>

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2018, 07:31:32 PM »
Do you get bombarded by TV commercials touting nominations over there?

Nope.

guest4955

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2018, 04:58:31 PM »
Lucas, whose involvement destroyed Crystal Skull (aliens, anyone?), is out of this one...  thumbsup.gif 

Now I'm excited.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2018, 02:42:00 AM »
I wonder if this was by choice or by force?

guest4955

« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2018, 03:12:15 AM »
I wonder if this was by choice or by force?

You don’t even realize you’re being too clever!

GL sold all his rights to Indy in 2012 to Disney, so his involvement is up to them.

HarrisonFord looks and acts15+years younger than his age but this is likely his last, so they have to transition the role to some one else. The actor who played the son in IJ4 publicly trashed IJ4, so he’s out forever....

guest4955

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »

Looking forward to seeing this next week, really cool Eastwood hired the "real" heroes instead of actors.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-1517-to-paris-real-people-20180202-story.html

guest4955

« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/opinion/sunday/this-is-why-uma-thurman-is-angry.html

The "rape" was by an anonymous man when she was 20, Weinstein aggressively hit on her, Tarantino recklessly caused a car crash, derailed her career.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »
Tarantino recklessly caused a car crash, derailed her career.

Would she even have a career without Tarantino?
Pretty bland and forgettable outside his films.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

guest4955

« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »

She does credit the “power of Pulp” in the article:

An ensemble cast but....

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »

Agreed!

guest4955

« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »
Agreed!

Watch the car crash in the article link, it’s quite bad.And Tarantino is going to get PUMMELED for being a dick about it for 15 years. Should have profusely apologized immediately and paid her med bills. Like my old boss said, “SETTLE THE LOSERS!” aka don’t even try to defend the indefensible. QT did not return NYT’s requests for comment but now that it’s been the #1 NYT article since it was published and picked up by many others, his PR firm is in damage control crisis mode.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
Tarantino is a real jerk..And always has been. So this story isnt surprising in the least.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2018, 11:57:43 PM »
Variety throws a punch:

http://variety.com/2018/film/columns/uma-thurman-kill-bill-quentin-tarantino-1202686604/

Quentin Tarantino needs to come clean about what happened on the set of “Kill Bill.” He needs to speak out, to fess up and tell us what, exactly, he was thinking. Because that could be one small yet meaningful step toward repairing what’s sick and broken in our entertainment culture — and our culture, period.

In a bombshell interview with Maureen Dowd of The New York Times, Uma Thurman, who for 10 years, beginning with “Pulp Fiction” (1994), was Tarantino’s movie-star muse, details what she went through at the hands of the predatory Miramax mogul Harvey Weinstein: the sexual coercion (hotel rooms, bathrobe, compliant publicists — the whole gruesome Harvey bit) intertwined with threats of career derailment, all of which she bravely resisted. But, of course, we have now heard these skin-crawling Weinstein stories many times. Thurman’s testimony, courageous and important as it is, adds up to one more horrific chapter in the saga of Harvey the unspeakable.

The every bit as jarring news in Thurman’s account is what transpired between her and Tarantino. In Mexico, nine months into the shooting of “Kill Bill” (the film had yet to be sliced into two volumes), just four days before the picture was set to wrap, Tarantino, filming a crucial sequence — the heroine’s ride to vengeance — asked Thurman to step into a rickety blue Karmann Ghia and cruise down a sandy rural road at 40 miles per hour. She didn’t want to do it, and said so. A technician on the set had informed her that the car was faulty; the sequence, from every indication, needed a stunt driver. But Tarantino wanted Thurman in the car — he craved the cathartic cinematic realness of it. And once he insisted, she gave in.

She drove and drove, and wound up losing control of the vehicle, which slid off the road and crashed into a palm tree, seriously injuring Thurman’s back and her knees (injuries she suffers from to this day). She considered suing Miramax, but wasn’t able to get hold of the accident footage captured by the camera mounted on the back of the car. Weinstein, the lawyers at Miramax, and — yes — Tarantino knew the footage was actionable, and kept it from her. (They’d relinquish it only if she signed a waiver releasing them from liability.) She has the footage now, though, and has made it public. Watch the video, and you’ll see that every bit as disturbing as the car crash is the casual, all-in-a-day’s-work way that Thurman is hoisted out of the car (with Tarantino hovering), as if to deny the damage of what just happened.

So how could it have happened? The answer — or much of it, anyway — resides in Quentin Tarantino’s head. That’s why we need to hear it. And reflect on it. And judge it.

In the four months since the #MeToo revolution was launched on the wave of the original accusations against Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, James Toback, and others, there hasn’t been a lot of call for men to speak out. The accused, of course, have had nothing to offer beyond limp pro forma apologies and barely contrite silence. Other men have voiced impassioned support and belief in the movement — and, on occasion, they have struggled to reframe the argument, only to learn (as Matt Damon did) that this is a time for listening rather than parsing.

But Tarantino presents a different situation. He’s not accused of sexual harassment — but he was, of course, very close to Harvey Weinstein, so the question of what he knew and when he knew it, and what responsibility (if any) he holds for enabling Weinstein’s behavior, remains relevant. Tarantino has already spoken out on these matters, in an October interview with The New York Times that seemed, at the time, to keep the world at bay. He may now have to say more.

He certainly needs to address the “Kill Bill” car scandal in a far more detailed and confessional manner — because he’s in the murky middle of it, obviously, but also because Tarantino is in a position to shed light on how the vertiginous power dynamics of Hollywood operate, and how they might now change.

An honest question: Is the revelation of Thurman’s “Kill Bill” story a #MeToo moment? There’s no denying that the car incident didn’t just happen out of “negligence.” It was the result of a recklessness, an arrogance, a so-ingrained-it’s-taken-for-granted pattern of unchecked aggressive male dominion in the film business. Seen against the backdrop of #MeToo, against the pileup of accusations and a landscape that’s shifted, overnight, to a policy of zero tolerance, the “Kill Bill” incident looks, perhaps, like a second cousin to harassment: the cold exploitation of talent by those who surely knew better.

Some are calling it an act of misogyny, and are quick to lump it in with what they view as the misogynistic undercurrents of Tarantino’s films. But I would afix a not-so-fast! warning to that assessment. The cinema of Quentin Tarantino is a pop dreamscape in which the imagination — and, yes, the anger — of women has been portrayed with an audacious hellfire exhibitionism. “Death Proof,” the one-half of “Grindhouse” that he made after “Kill Bill Vol. 2,” is a parable of vengeance that, in fact, features a horrific female car crash, with bodies smashing through windshields and limbs flying. Yet taken as a whole, “Death Proof” is a virtual parallel of #MeToo: It’s all about women rising up to say that they’ve had enough, giving the men who’ve abused them a toxic taste of their own medicine. In both halves of “Kill Bill,” Uma Thurman’s The Bride is beaten down, bedraggled, and left for dead, but she’s also a slashing samurai-hellion with a whiplash gleam of empowered elegance. She’s a victim-turned-crusader, and nobody’s fool. The film is masochistic, and sadistic, and misogynistic, and feministic. That’s the Tarantino brew. More to the point, that brew is a heightened version of everything the movies have been for 100 years.

It’s telling that the Karmann Ghia sequence that Tarantino was shooting, if you watch it at the beginning of “Kill Bill Vol. 2,” is a deliberate echo of Janet Leigh’s night-drive-through-the-rain in “Psycho.” Leigh’s Marion Crane was, of course, on her way to the slaughter, and Thurman’s Bride faces terrors nearly as extreme, though she, unlike Marion, turns the tables and triumphs over them. But the parallel brings out the underlying Old Hollywood side of Tarantino. Thurman’s interview with Dowd includes accounts of how, during filming, it was Tarantino, off camera, who was actually spitting on her (instead of the Michael Madsen character) or pretending to choke her, just as it was Hitchcock who held the knife during certain set-ups in the “Psycho” shower scene. With that in mind, the “Kill Bill” car incident raises the question: Did Tarantino, like Hitchcock, feel as if he somehow had the right to subject his actors to the torments — or, in this case, the risks — that he chose, all in service to the gods of cinema?

That’s a question that only Tarantino can answer, and I truly hope he does. The fact that Thurman felt like she couldn’t say no to Tarantino is the most painful aspect of this story. You can see how refusing to get into that car would have meant, for her, upending the whole looming power structure. And that starts to sound very familiar. Yet what took place on the set of “Kill Bill” raises issues that extend beyond the parameters of #MeToo: How often, in the shooting of a movie, does this kind of risk take place? And how much does it happen to women vs. men? These questions will start to be answered in the days to come. For now, though, one can’t escape the feeling that the “Kill Bill” incident represents an assertion, and a circling of the wagons, by a testosterone-driven culture of scandalous entitlement. Even — or especially — if it doesn’t think of itself that way.

guest4955

« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »
Megyn Kelly and 3 female analysts ripped into QT, 3 mill watchers....

Book just came out and I bought. Leonardo DiCaprio will star in movie based on it. Great author, very readable.

guest4955

« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »

I prefer the jokey Joker from earlier films and the TV series. But his take was preferred by most I guess.

guest4955

« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:57 AM »
Funny....

Not funny, 32K tweets ... 400 followers, I tried to find this on Twitter but gave after scrolling through endless posts ... from the same day (yep, like me today):

So DC wanted Affleck to be the "Robert Downey Jr" of the DC world....

www.comicbook.com

So current release MPs are INSANELY popular on the 'Net. 35K comments in two days:

But an eBay dealer tells me only the Top 20 current release MPs sell well, everything else struggles, much less than prior years, not good news for the hobby.

Just about the last MP blog on the Net:

http://www.slashfilm.com/category/movie-marketing/poster/

guest4955

« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »

Got an A+ Cinemascore, 98% RT.

I saw it ... and figured out that I am WAY TOO OLD for Marvel movies, except maybe Spider Man. I stopped watching Dr. Strange on Netflix halfway through and wanted to leave 1/3 of the way through BP. They're clearly made for teenagers, despite the older audience for BP (largely African-Am no doubt). How 'bout you?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »
Loved Black Panther. FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Affleck rivaled that pos george Clooney as worst Batman ever in Justice League. WTF WAS THAT?

guest4955

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2018, 06:27:18 PM »
Once again, I'm in the minority, fell asleep during Black Panther, REALLY liked Justice League AND Affleck:

Fantastic news! 2001 will be re-released in 70mm!

One of MANY failed posts I tried on Reddit  crying

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2018, 08:07:27 PM »
The "rarity" rankings really help  thumbsup.gif