Author Topic: Current releases chat...  (Read 85270 times)

guest4955

Current releases chat...
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:45:04 AM »
So I'll start a general chat thread to discuss current releases....

guest4955

Re: Current releases chat...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »
Only a total moron could have green-lighted this ....

guest4955

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:58:05 AM »
I've seen five of 'em....

guest4955

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »

guest4955

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »
Saw Spiderman Homecoming today and it's an easy "A" - probably the most entertaining movie of the summer.

The posters are nothin' special:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »
I've seen five of 'em....

I've seen 19.  9 in theaters, the rest at home.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4531

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:31:48 AM »
Saw Spiderman Homecoming today and it's an easy "A" - probably the most entertaining movie of the summer.

The posters are nothin' special:

I really enjoyed HomeComing, especially the goofy and funny Spiderman I used to watch in the 60s animated serie.  I am a big fan of Ralph Bakshi, the guy behind Fritz the Cat, Lords of the Ring and Coonskin.  Bakshi was a master !!

Very few people know this but Ralph Bakshi actually did all season 2 & 3 of animated serie Spiderman (1967).    Bakshi was hired to produce because his team was familiar with producing stuff on the very cheap (rotoscoping) :)  Many dislikes the Spiderman produce by Bakshi for its bad quality, especially cheap background.

BUT something very important happened, Bakshi suggested to get rid of the super Spiderman fighting super villains and have instead a friendly Spiderman fighting everyday thieves.  He left all the big villains from comics books, focusing on early life of Peter Parker and his beginning as the "Friendly Neighborhood Hero"...  Bakshi turned Peter Parker into a clumsy character: Peter failed to enter into the football team and became the star pitcher for the school baseball team and most of his girlfriends ended up waiting angrily for Peter to arrive. Bakshi also created the character Susan Shaw. Actually, Stan Lee decided to use Bakshi's idea as the origin of Spiderman.

From Wikipedia - "Bakshi provided the first origin story for Spider-Man presented on television, "The Origin of Spider-Man," which actually used chunks of Stan Lee's dialogue from Spectacular Spider-Man #1--specifically, "In the Beginning," published in July 1968, a few months before the episode aired." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(1967_TV_series)

Thanks Bakshi !!

The animated serie is also famous for its theme song, the Spiderman theme song...  I enjoyed hearing the Ramones (Blitzkrieg Bop) in the HomeComing movie but I wonder why they didn't pick the Spiderman theme played by the Ramones ???

guest4955

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »

BUT something very important happened, Bakshi suggested to get rid of the super Spiderman fighting super villains and have instead a friendly Spiderman fighting everyday thieves.  He left all the big villains from comics books, focusing on early life of Peter Parker and his beginning as the "Friendly Neighborhood Hero"...  Bakshi turned Peter Parker into a clumsy character: Peter failed to enter into the football team and became the star pitcher for the school baseball team and most of his girlfriends ended up waiting angrily for Peter to arrive. Bakshi also created the character Susan Shaw. Actually, Stan Lee decided to use Bakshi's idea as the origin of Spiderman.

Yep, the villain was not so overwhelming and that made all the difference:

guest4955

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
The news is mostly bad for the US 2017 summer box office, overall down 16% from 2016.

The winners were Wonder Woman, Spiderman, and Dunkirk.

The losers/underachievers were The Mummy, Pirates, and Valerian.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
What's always interesting, to me at least, is to figure out which movies will stand the test of time and be remembered 30 years from now like Lethal Weapon, Raising Arizona, The Untouchables, Predator, Full Metal Jacket, Robocop, The Lost Boys or Dirty Dancing are today from 30 years ago.

My vote goes to Beauty and the Beast, Wonder Woman, Dunkirk and Baby Driver.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 02:14:06 PM »
Finally got round to watching Get Out last night, thought it was really good fun, I'm glad it made a big profit.

guest4955

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 12:01:23 PM »
Two Batman movies have featured Joker. Enough is enough!

guest4955

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 05:13:32 PM »
"“Marshall,” in which Howard University graduate Chadwick Boseman portrays Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall...."

Could be good for a former lawyer such as moi...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 08:13:18 PM »
I know nothing about the flicker, but that poster is about as blah and boring as anything.

I wonder if posters that actually entice and attract crowds will ever make a comeback.

sad.gif binoc.gif whistle.gif

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 08:45:19 PM »
The credits at the bottom also take up a bit of real estate

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 11:14:54 PM »
If you just told me that there was a movie coming out about a young Thurgood Marshall, I'd be intrigued and want to see it. But this poster is seriously weak. If I just glanced at it, I would not have deduced what the movie was about. More importantly, I would've forgotten the poster and the movie five minutes later...
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

guest4955

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
This is the "Movie Talk" area, so the Q is how EFFECTIVE the poster, not its creativity/originality.

Marketing Marshall is a delicate dance.

First, serious docudrama films nowadays are primarily made for TV/streaming nowadays (like the Wizard of Liea, with De Niro starring as Madoff).

Second, marketing a black lead character for a white audience is very dicey. They went with a picture of a serious scowling Boseman but showed him dressed immaculately, so potential white viewers aren't overly threatened.

I do think they did better with this one:

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 09:16:48 PM »
This is the "Movie Talk" area, so the Q is how EFFECTIVE the poster, not its creativity/originality.

There wasn't a "Q". This is a Current release chat. We were chatting....
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:07 PM »
I think there is a movie poster discussion section elsewhere on this forum  :P

The above poster looks largely like a pubic bush... no good...

blowingkiss.gif

guest4955

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 03:26:48 PM »
I did employment law for 20 years, including endless "harassment" cases.

Most harassment plaintiffs are total nut jobs and lose their cases.

But in this case the defendant is kinda a nut job. You CANNOT get away with this BS nowadays....

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »
Expect way more stories on Harvey.  I’d love to know what is going on behind closed doors between him and his brother.  He doesn’t want to leave TWC but he may have to if the « masturbating in a planter » story is true.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 11:04:40 PM »
I have friends that have worked at Weinstein Co. They've all said he's a letch and scumbag.   :-X
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:49:30 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »
Im sure we know what wife Georgina saw in Harvey.  ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)  ;D

And he's on a leave of absence from his own company, too:

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/accusations-hollywood-asks-harvey-weinstein-done-070147825.html?.tsrc=bell-brknews

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:09:52 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff