Author Topic: Current releases chat...  (Read 84446 times)

guest4955

Re: Current releases chat...
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
Saw The Shape of Water today, terrific dark fantasy, funny, intriguing, KINKY, etc. (And I just closed my eyes during several inevitable gory gratuitous scenes.)

What did you all think of it?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »
I think I’ve watched almost everything by now.  It’s super cold where we’re at, so there is nothing better than putting the kids to bed and watching movies.  Last night was I, Tonya (Great!) and The Post for the 2nd time (also Great!!!)  Shape of Water was okay, aesthetically pleasing but a little empty, story wise.  Really liked Battle of the Sexes too.

Tonight, we’ll probably watch All the Money in the World.

T
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:32:21 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
Posters in Spielberg's The Post.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2017, 07:03:52 PM »
Good catch Thierry....

Lowly Charlotte won't get it until 1/12 but in the meantime here's a somewhat uncommon article about a lowly 31yo writer who "won the lottery" with her very first script for the Post - her draft focused on Katherine Graham, later revisions added more Ben Bradlee, etc.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-the-post-spielberg-liz-hannah-20171221-story.html

guest4955

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2018, 05:27:03 PM »

A from me, RT 84, MTC 75. Can wait for Netflix but I like historical dramas. Oldman is the frontrunner for Best Actor and, according to Churchill's family, is the first film to accurately portray his iighter side, ex. takes subway and jokes with passengers and - hilariously - lies about their conversations to stave off "peace" (really surrender) talks.

Anybody else seen it?

guest4955

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2018, 05:14:32 PM »
My bro-in-law said Gary Oldman was "tiny" and in real life looked nothing like Churchill, so I researched it.

Oldman (5'9") is 59, 6 years younger than Churchill (5'6") in 1940.

He spent ONE FULL YEAR preparing for the role, and he had twice turned down the Churchill role in prior movies.

Yep, quite a transformation, spent 200 hrs in the makeup chair during filming:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2018, 05:24:27 PM »
Anybody else seen it?

I've seen it twice already.  Really good.  Oldman is fantastic.  I only wished they had stuck to the truth and not created ridiculous moments like the subway scene.  I love history, and it really bothered me, even if I understand such moments may have happened elsewhere later on.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
T, do you use MoviePass yet?
You seem like one of the ones who could save $100+ a month with it
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2018, 10:45:22 PM »
No, I've pretty much seen everything at home (save for Star Wars) and the Arclight by me doesn't take movie pass.

:(

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2018, 02:30:39 AM »
The Sunday Today show yesterday interviewed the MoviePass CEO, who claimed that they could make money by "selling" miscellenea like "restaurant recommendations" to app users but admitted they were currently losing money at $10-a-month and would eventually raise prices.

AMC has "taken a pass":

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »
I talk shit about PTA but I've always got time for him. I can't wait until Feb to finally see;

guest4955

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2018, 01:39:11 AM »
It's getting more attention over here bc Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring...

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2018, 04:16:00 PM »
The Sunday Today show yesterday interviewed the MoviePass CEO, who claimed that they could make money by "selling" miscellenea like "restaurant recommendations" to app users but admitted they were currently losing money at $10-a-month and would eventually raise prices.

AMC has "taken a pass":

It's like gas - gas stations make their money on the beer, soda and snacks.  Price the tickets cheap so they spend $40 on snacks.  I think it would work.

guest4955

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2018, 02:50:48 AM »
It's like gas - gas stations make their money on the beer, soda and snacks.  Price the tickets cheap so they spend $40 on snacks.  I think it would work.

Yep, eons ago I read a long article about the biz of movie theaters, they are really just concession stands, which explains the absurdly high prices for popcorn and the unenforceable "bans" on bringing food into theaters (Mom used to sneak candy bars in her purse). Also explains why there are so many movies (Harry Potter, Jumanji) "catering" to teenagers, who eat tons of junk food.

That's why AMC clarified that it was not opposed to movie subscription services, just money-losing MoviePass, which pays local theaters 100% of 2D ticket prices (no 3D/Imax).

BTW

guest4955

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »

A from me, RT 87, MTC 83, basically "The Big Three" delivered, my theater crowd applauded at the end.

99% positive scene in poster is not in movie....

Nowadays even superstars have to play "games" on talk shows as the "price of free promotion" and Streep and Hanks have been good sports:

Streep can't name many of her Oscar nominations in 60 seconds!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RxhuBwCwMs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0RxhuBwCwMs</a>

Streep does a great Forrest Gump impression:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pl9oc13p534" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Pl9oc13p534</a>

guest4955

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:15 AM »

guest4955

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2018, 12:44:07 AM »

Mixed opinion on Molly's Game, maybe a B. Jessica Chastain was excellent and, er, comely. Her lawyer gave a "jury closing argument" during face-to-face settlement negotiations, which never happens. Kevin Costner was very good also, a jerk/adoring father. But I don't understand or appreciate poker and "Molly Bloom" was morally ambiguous, which no doubt is what director Aaron Sorkin wanted.

What did you think of it?

Also do you know any women who run in poker circles? My galpal ("galpal" = long story) in Savannah GA five years ago started playing online poker five (!) hours a day and recently won $2K in a tournament, small-time to most but pretty impressive to me.

guest4955

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »
John Fogerty complaining ‘bout movie and movie poster!

Rightly or wrongly, he’s been fighting with former CCR band mates and his record label for 45 years about song rights issues, even refused to play with them during Rock Hallinduction.

guest4955

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »
Ha, I really enjoyed "disrespected" movies like The Last Jedi, Justice League, and Ghostbusters all-girls reboot!

How about you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/movies/greatest-showman-jumanji-box-office-results.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2018, 02:10:34 AM »
Last Jedi has a 96% Rotten Tomatoes score amongt top critics.  I wouldn't call that disrespected.  At 74%, Jumanji was not trashed either.

Justice League and Ghostbusters were just awful.  And Greatest Showman is, like La La Land, the kind of movie people need right now, if only to let us forget about politics for a brief moment.  It is not good (La La Land was much, much better), but it is fun enough.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
Last Jedi has a 96% Rotten Tomatoes score amongt top critics.  I wouldn't call that disrespected.  At 74%, Jumanji was not trashed either.

Justice League and Ghostbusters were just awful.  And Greatest Showman is, like La La Land, the kind of movie people need right now, if only to let us forget about politics for a brief moment.  It is not good (La La Land was much, much better), but it is fun enough.

T

Alright, French Fry, I am enraged that you have "disrespected" my "movie critic aptitude!"

But it does give me an excuse to blather on about a related topic: the unmatched accuracy of CinemaScore(.com).

I had not heard of it until recently, but supposedly it's been the "gold standard" of audience grading since 1978.

WikiPedia cites the CScore in virtually all articles devoted to particular films:

WikiP naturally has an excellent article about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaScore

Most importantly, the CScore is calculated from only 400 scorecards collected from 25 large US cities. The average score is B+. CScore claims that more scorecards would not be statistically significant and the studios, which buy its data, apparently agree.

I checked the CScore for movies I've seen recently:

Pretty much agree with ALL those grades....

guest4955

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
A-list movie stars flocking to TV limited series and movies: Streep, DeNiro, Clooney, Pitt, Kidman, Witherspoon etc.

Why?
- big paydays plus “backend” bucks financed by Apple, Facebook, Netflix etc.
- TV is a “writers medium” that offers high-quality roles, movies are action and special-effects-oriented catering to teenagers/foreign audiences
- TV audiences often dwarf movie audiences, and stars want to be seen, not just getting awards for unseen movies

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2018, 08:27:40 AM »
Saw Three Billboards a couple of nights ago.  Really quite stunning.

Thoroughly recommended.  ...Even if this recommendation Does come from a Bond fan!

guest4955

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2018, 06:13:58 PM »
Um, itsa “casting call/movie” poster, the real deal....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »
^ This is one of those that should NOT be remade, imo, no matter who the director will be.

-Jeff