Author Topic: 1912 Mecca Cigarettes Advertising Poster  (Read 138 times)

Online erik1925

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
1912 Mecca Cigarettes Advertising Poster
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
My family and I were in western NY state last week, and we happened to wander into an antique shop, many of which dot that part of the state.

I had just walked in, and this poster was hanging on the wall & caught my eye. It's an advertisement for Mecca Cigarettes. It's in its original, 1912, embossed MECCA CIGARETTES oak frame with glass. On the bottom, lower right border is printed: Copyright 1912 The American Tobacco Co.

It measures 39x22 inches, and the art is by famed artist F. Earl Christy. 

https://www.thespruce.com/collecting-f-earl-christys-illustration-art-148633

I did a little research on this and 99% of others I found online were a smaller size, measuring approx. 11x20.

Needless to say, the classic Christy artwork, the beautiful image and intense red MECCA logo, all grabbed my eye, so I snagged it.

And it's in beautiful condition, especially for being 105 years old.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:46:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: 1912 Mecca Cigarettes Advertising Poster
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »
Wow, looks amazing. I hope it is real for you. Interesting it has its own tailored frame. Does the frame seem that old too?

Online erik1925

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
Wow, looks amazing. I hope it is real for you. Interesting it has its own tailored frame. Does the frame seem that old too?

Hey Steve,

Thanks.

Ive no doubt it's real. Like I had mentioned, I found a couple others in this same, larger size, (auctioned over the years) also with the same, hand hewn, oak frame that also had the Mecca name embossed into the wood at the top. And the paper, light paper toning and print style is not modern or a repro. The majority of others I found online were the smaller, 11x20 format.

Likely, these were framed by the Mecca Cigarette Co. and then sent out to drug- and tobacco stores to be hung up to display. There is an old wire hanger on the back, and the backboard is held in place with multiple small nails around the entire frame edge.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:18:13 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 09:29:42 PM »
Good catch! Very cool poster. I don't smoke, but I would hang that on my wall. Very nice.
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...