Author Topic: What do you have ?!?  (Read 121628 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: What do you have ?!?
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:10 PM »
Colour T.V.    you were a lucky fellow Neo...

Yeah, looking back on it, I didn't realize how lucky I was.

I had a lot of channels, including the movie channels, via a cable box.  I saw a lot of good films, but my favorite stuff to watch, for several years, I would wake up an hour or two early before leaving for school during the week, and on Saturdays, to watch Looney Tune reruns - Chilly Willy the Penguin, Woody the Woodpecker, Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner, Yosemite Sam, etc.  Those were the real good ole days.  8)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:54:34 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »
Yeah, looking back on it, I didn't realize how lucky I was.

I had a lot of channels, including the movie channels, via a cable box.  I saw a lot of good films, but my favorite stuff to watch, for several years, I would wake up an hour or two early before leaving for school during the week, and on Saturdays, to watch Looney Tune reruns - Chilly Willy the Penguin, Woody the Woodpecker, Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner, Yosemite Sam, etc.  Those were the real good ole days.  8)

For sure, Brandon. To this day, the WB Looney Tunes are some of the best cartoons STILL around.

And Mel Blanc was a vocal genius.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »
Just show how things have changed, we had 3 TV channels as kids, and had to go to the Saturday morning matinee to see those kind of Cartoons...  I still have a good selection on disc now-a-days, though I mostly run Tom and Jerry, the Fred Quimby ones of course..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »
So true, Paul. The original 1940's Tom & Jerry 'toons were SO well animated, too, under Quimby's direction. Top notch. And Tom actually looked like a fierce feline back then, too!

But like so many others, boy, did they go down hill, animation-wise, by the 1960's. Cheaply produced and drawn... done on shoe tring budgets.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
So true, Paul. The original 1940's Tom & Jerry 'toons were SO well animated, too, under Quimby's direction. Top notch. And Tom actually looked like a fierce feline back then, too!

But like so many others, boy, did they go down hill, animation-wise, by the 1960's. Cheaply produced and drawn... done on shoe tring budgets.  :-\

Tom and jerry were always a bit too violent for my taste, even as a kid.  However, I could never get enough of Chuck Jones and Tex Avery.
-Jay-

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2014, 08:36:48 PM »
We had two channels until I was 18 an moved to the city then I had 5.
The good thing about 2 channels was one was commercial and basically crap. The other ABC which is the public owned station here and played mainly British television (or local) the other beings mainly American.
So I grew up on British kids shows and thy really were the best.
I loved the sci fi stuff and spooky stuff. SKY used to freak me out. Plus blakes 7 and dr who of course.
Sit coms like Robyn's nest. The good life. George and Mildred. Only fools and horses. All the good shit. And thankfully they also screened good American stuff like HILL STREET BLUES.
You can tell a
Country kid from a city kid by how well they know old British tv.
Famous five FUCK YEAH!

Oh and metal mickey!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2014, 11:36:17 PM »
Thanks, Harry.  You gave me the kick I needed, and I went and ordered the replacement bulb from projectorpeople for $245.  They didn't stock the filter, so I will now order that from Amazon.

Back in business.

I received the bulb and did the replacement.  I looked when I reset the lamp hours.  The original bulb gave me 4148 hours of service.  That's why I spent the extra and bought the factory replacement.  Hopefully I get another 4000 hours.
-Jay-

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2014, 11:48:02 PM »
I bet you are wow'd again by the brightness!  The fall off in intensity of the bulb is very subtle such that you probably don't notice it over the last several years.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
I bet you are wow'd again by the brightness!  The fall off in intensity of the bulb is very subtle such that you probably don't notice it over the last several years.

Actually I did.  I go through calibration discs about once every three months.  I had bumped brightness up several times.  I also start with the bulb in the lower power eco mode and I went to full brightness about 18 months ago.

Probably should have replaced it then, but I am cheap in a lot of ways.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2014, 11:45:24 PM »

Same thing happens with my rear projection LCD Sony
Chris

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »
Just got myself a new 140" screen and SVS PB-13 Ultra sub.  Will be wiring everything up at my new place on Monday.  Next up is a platform build for the second row and some tactile transducers.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »
What Projector do you have Schan?

I've been perusing the 4k ones on offer at the moment, but are still thinking it maybe too soon to up grade, as my full HD one gives a great picture..

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
No 4k for me Paul.  I have an LG CF181D.  The simple fact is that there is just not enough content for it yet to justify replacing what I have.  If there is by the time I wear out my other bulb on that machine, then I might consider it.  One thing I have not even checked into is the proper seating distance for 4k.  I plan on putting my first row at 168 inched for a 140" (1.2x the diagonal size).  Any closer than that and it becomes too overwhelming in terms of field of view to even watch.  With 4k, you want to take advantage of the additional detail it offers, but getting much closer to a screen that size and your scan area is just too large.....
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
I'm happy myself with mine, but Yvonne keeps on saying we can't watch 3D films in the film room, only on the T.V. in the living room which is 50" so a bit small for the full effect. If I'm going to up grade at some point may as well go the whole hog... ;)

That said, money is a bit tight at the moment as the girls have both just bought houses, so we're helping them out with stuff for those, however when looking for TV's for them I tend to wander on to Projectors....  eyeroll

Do take some pics when your up and running Schan.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:36:52 PM by paul waines »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »
I will Paul.  I wouldn't go for a 3D setup if I were you Paul.  It is on its way out now, to be revived in another 25 years, I am sure.  Every time it resurges, the industry claims, "this time it is different."  Well, as with every other time before, they were wrong this time.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

guest4669

« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »
Just got myself a new 140" screen and SVS PB-13 Ultra sub.  Will be wiring everything up at my new place on Monday.  Next up is a platform build for the second row and some tactile transducers.

Nice!  140" is huge. Can't wait to see pictures once it's all up and running.

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »
I use to be in the home theater scene, I miss those days.
#AVSforums hahaha.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »
Nice!  140" is huge. Can't wait to see pictures once it's all up and running.

Its a step up from the 120" I left when I moved.  I will start a thread once I have some pics of it complete.  Or mostly complete, anyway.  I am lazy and it is cold, so it might take me a while to actually build the platform.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:15 AM »
#AVSforums hahaha.

Me too!  After buying my second projector I kind of petered out over there.  I popped back in for a few weeks to pick out my third PJ, and I've been poking around recently again looking for my 4th.  I was surprised though as lot of manufacturers aren't refreshing their line as often these days... every 2-3 years instead of annually.  I guess I don't blame them, the market probably isn't all that big and your turn over is likely the same as the bulb life (3-4 years on the early side). 

For my next setup I was thinking of going bigger as well, but I don't really have room based on my seating distance.  Instead I'm thinking of getting a projector with zoom, lens shift and focus memory so I can switch to a scope screen.  I want to keep the same height so my 16:9 and 4:3 viewing won't change -- scope stuff will just get REALLY WIDE  :o

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »

While I still write for a major online AV journal, I kinda burned out a few years ago when I finally acquired what I consider the pinnacle of audio gear and source components.  I desperately need a larger screen but am limited but the actual floor space available more than anything else.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
Floor space was also an issue with me, there's never enough. I wish I had one of those houses one sees in the US, they are huge, mind there is a lot of space over there. Still you have to make the best of it, and I'm very happy with how mine turned out....That said, I'm going to change two of the seats for two fancy recliner types just for me and Yvonne.. ;)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2019, 09:06:59 AM »
Swapping out the front soundstage.  Goldenear Triton 2+ and XL center.  As the hearing degrades, hoping these bring more dialog clarity and wanted the powered subs in the towers.  Not much time to get things setup right now though, hopefully in the next week or so.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2019, 08:15:42 PM »
You'll be happy with those Tritons.......I love mine!
Schan
My Poster Gallery