Author Topic: What do you have ?!?  (Read 121637 times)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: What do you have ?!?
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »
Is there no space at the back of the room Steve, I put all my Kit at the back out of the way.
Yes you need longer cables, but its so much tidier especially with the speakers at the front.

Hmmm, that's an idea worth thinking about, thanks

guest4669

« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
Hi everyone - since I'm new here I thought I would bump this thread and share my screening room:

The gear: Speakers: B&W, Cables: Transparent; Screen: Stewart Studiotek 130, Projector: JVC.
Marantz AV7005, Marantz MM705; PS3; Oppo DV-983; Panasonic BD60 Region Free; Panels: ATS Acoustics.

Currently:

Here is how it started out:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »
Nice set up, Racer!

What are the (what looks like) tan-colored fabric covered panels on either wall? Window coverings? Or to help with acoustics?

-Jeff

guest4669

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »
Hi Jeff -

Those are acoustic panels, called absorption panels. The left side covers one window and the second window is covered by the screen. Their purpose, without sounding too much like a geek, is strictly for audio. They absorb mid and hi frequency waves at whats called reflection points. Above the couch I have some diffusion and they serve to scatter those frequencies over the listening position dispersing the sound and making the room feel much larger.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
Thanks, Racer.

cheers

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
I've been a bit bummed lately.  The bulb blew on the projector about a month ago.  With winter coming on, I need to find a spare $300 to replace it.  No posters for me!
Still, can't complain.  I got 4 full years out of that bulb.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »
Now that's a set up I could watch a movie in!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »
Welcome to APF, Racer.
That is a great home theater.
Kudos.
cheers

Mirosae

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2014, 04:23:51 AM »
Love the orange chair. Will bring the cocktail!  thumbsup.gif

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »
Nice B&Ws Racer!  Which JVC projector do you have?   

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »
I've been a bit bummed lately.  The bulb blew on the projector about a month ago.  With winter coming on, I need to find a spare $300 to replace it.  No posters for me!

So sorry to hear that Jay!   :(

Which projector do you have?  The last time I got a low bulb warning I was surprised to find some 3rd party companies finally making replacement bulbs.  You could also just get a new bulb instead of replacing the whole several-hundred-dollar lamp housing+bulb.  Might be worth a look.  In the end, though I just bought a new projector and retired mine to my in-laws house.  We only use it a couple times a year there so the dim bulb isn't too big of a deal. 

Flash forward 6+ years and my current projector is now flashing a low bulb warning every time I turn it on.  Might be time to junk the one at my in-laws, retire mine to their house, and then get a new one for me :)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2014, 10:26:26 AM »
 welcome1 aboard, Racer.

Excellent setup. cool1

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
Yes nice job.  I should start thinking about upgrading my set-up as well.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »
So sorry to hear that Jay!   :(

Which projector do you have?  The last time I got a low bulb warning I was surprised to find some 3rd party companies finally making replacement bulbs.  You could also just get a new bulb instead of replacing the whole several-hundred-dollar lamp housing+bulb.  Might be worth a look.  In the end, though I just bought a new projector and retired mine to my in-laws house.  We only use it a couple times a year there so the dim bulb isn't too big of a deal. 

Flash forward 6+ years and my current projector is now flashing a low bulb warning every time I turn it on.  Might be time to junk the one at my in-laws, retire mine to their house, and then get a new one for me :)

I have an Epson 8100 which is the one just before the current 8350.  Yeah, I've been looking at bulbs and reviews on same.  The bare bulbs can be had as cheap as $60, but they appear to be cheap Chinese bulbs that have reported short lifetimes of just a couple hundred hours.  A number of places have reported that the Epson bulb is made by OSRAM, and you can find places that sell the bulb in a "compatible" housing for $130-150.  The reviews for these on Amazon are quite mixed, so I am a bit wary of quality control.

Basically, I am looking to get a genuine Epson replacement from a reputable source  like projector people or visual apex.  Will probably cost me $250ish, but I figure I will likely go another 4 years, at which time I will probably replace the projector.  Oh yeah, will also buy a new filter at the same time.
-Jay-

guest4669

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »
Nice B&Ws Racer!  Which JVC projector do you have?   

Thanks. Its an HD250. Great projector. I'm really happy with it.

On a side note, if you are the same Harry Caul on emovieposter, then you have great taste - If so, you beat me out on the "Monsieur Verdoux" last week. I'm sure it will be far from the last time I get outbid by someone on here!

guest4669

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »

Sorry to hear it. I hope you can find a replacement bulb pretty easily.

You just reminded me to make sure I get a replacement as well for safekeeping. I'm nearing 1000 hours on my bulb but its still going strong and I have not had to put it on High yet.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Thanks, Harry.  You gave me the kick I needed, and I went and ordered the replacement bulb from projectorpeople for $245.  They didn't stock the filter, so I will now order that from Amazon.

Back in business.
-Jay-

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »
Thanks. Its an HD250. Great projector. I'm really happy with it.

I'm up for a new projector soon and I've been eyeing the switch from LCD to DILA/SXRD.  I've heard nothing but great things about the JVC.  Although I'm still tempted by the Panasonic LCDs with motorized zoom and lenshift.  I'm also dying for a 2.35 scope screen :)

On a side note, if you are the same Harry Caul on emovieposter, then you have great taste - If so, you beat me out on the "Monsieur Verdoux" last week. I'm sure it will be far from the last time I get outbid by someone on here!

Yes, that was me  8)

I have a pretty sizable Eastern European collection and Hungarians are notoriously difficult to track down.  Sorry, but I wasn't about to let that one slip through my grasp!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
Thanks, Harry.  You gave me the kick I needed, and I went and ordered the replacement bulb from projectorpeople for $245.  They didn't stock the filter, so I will now order that from Amazon.

Back in business.

thumbup

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2014, 01:14:24 PM »
Nice set up Racer, I put up posters to absorb sound in my Film Room... ;)  I did have pics of my set-up on here, but they were lost when I had Bucket problems, I should re-post them somewhere...

Glad you got your bulb Jay, I'd be lost without my projector, when I get to the bulb going, I'm upgrading to 4K. Which may not be long as I've 1800+ hours on it so far...   :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
I'm up for a new projector soon and I've been eyeing the switch from LCD to DILA/SXRD.  I've heard nothing but great things about the JVC.  Although I'm still tempted by the Panasonic LCDs with motorized zoom and lenshift.  I'm also dying for a 2.35 scope screen :)

Yes, that was me  8)

I have a pretty sizable Eastern European collection and Hungarians are notoriously difficult to track down.  Sorry, but I wasn't about to let that one slip through my grasp!

So greedy Matt!  ;D
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »

That actually looks like my home theater when I was a young'un.   8)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:06:36 AM by NeoLoco »

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2014, 01:52:03 AM »
Colour T.V.    you were a lucky fellow Neo...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2014, 02:27:19 AM »
We didn't have a TV until I was 6 years old and then it was B/W.
Actually when I was younger still we didn't have electricity.

I do not own a TV at the moment, sad, for a while I had 6 of them,

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Mirosae

« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
Nor did I Ari.  Actually we did but we weren't allowed to watch it..only TV allowed on saturday mid afternoon films. Always a BW John Ford/ Wayne followed by the Tarzan cartoon in glorious colour.