Author Topic: Display or conceal the "history" of your posters?  (Read 14932 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Display or conceal the "history" of your posters?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
Yep, there have been a lot of words on the topic.  In the end it seems to come down to whether you personally value the artwork or the historical aspect of posters more highly.
-Jay-

guest4955

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
Ain't the cheapest but arguably the best....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 04:19:35 PM »
Yep, there have been a lot of words on the topic.  In the end it seems to come down to whether you personally value the artwork or the historical aspect of posters more highly.

Very true... It all comes down to how much (or little) people want to keep a poster looking original, vs it looking like a brand new modern repro print, in some cases, when all is said and done.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:23:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 05:19:48 PM »
Very true... It all comes down to how much (or little) people want to keep a poster looking original, vs it looking like a brand new modern repro print, in some cases, when all is said and done.

True, but maybe more than that.  There is the whole aspect of censor stamps and snipes.  They are part of the history, but they definitely hurt the value of the poster.  Personally, I like them, and like the fact that they keep the price down.  Sometimes though, a snipe may actually take away from the history of a poster.  For example, I have an insert for Kiss Me Kate.  It had a snipe touting popular prices.  When I removed the snipe, it turned out that the poster was for the original 3-D roadshow release.  I kept the snipe, but removed it from the poster.
-Jay-

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »
Sometimes snipes can even improve a poster :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »
Remember too, that many collectors collect, not for the value of a poster, but for the aesthetics of the poster and the film history it represents. Those types will not be as concerned about snipes or stamps (unless they were placed over some key art, a face important credit etc).

And many will keep the snipes in place, to allow the history of that (used & displayed) poster to shine thru. Much like snipes attached to to the tops of Belgian posters or Belgian tax stamps. Again, unless intrusive in some way, I would choose to keep both in place, every single time.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 07:08:50 PM »
Sometimes snipes can even improve a poster :)

The image of Godzilla actually looks pretty cool on this one, Matt.

I like it.  thumbup

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:14 PM »
Mel re your invoice, restoration costs all add up. Maybe you can do it yourself (if you aren't colour blind and are able to use a pencil accurately) Get a watercolour pencil set. I do it and looks awesome (in my opinion) and is satisfying saving the money and probably doing it better as I have the time.

guest4955

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 12:22:34 AM »
Mel re your invoice, restoration costs all add up. Maybe you can do it yourself (if you aren't colour blind and are able to use a pencil accurately) Get a watercolour pencil set. I do it and looks awesome (in my opinion) and is satisfying saving the money and probably doing it better as I have the time.

Good plan for cheaper posters but these were quite expensive and merited expensive restoration. Also, they needed linenbacking....

guest4531

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 01:14:37 AM »
Ain't the cheapest but arguably the best....

What's the difference between the two in regards of linenbacking - Why is one "Trim to" while the other one speaks of "Trim of Masa", isn't Masa paper used and trimmed in both linenbacking?

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 01:31:55 AM »
Good plan for cheaper posters but these were quite expensive and merited expensive restoration. Also, they needed linenbacking....

I've restored with pencil, on linen, expensive posters with great results. If you stuff it up you can simply wipe it off with a wet cotton bud and do it again since the watercolour pencils are water soluble... fully reversible!

guest4955

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
What's the difference between the two in regards of linenbacking - Why is one "Trim to" while the other one speaks of "Trim of Masa", isn't Masa paper used and trimmed in both linenbacking?

I wanted all extra linen trimmed off Killers, hopefully will still fit in 27x41 frame so I can cover tape stains on edges.

Wanted 28x42 LFIL with extra linen.

guest4955

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
I bought this in "honor" of ... Stormy Daniels  blowingkiss.gif

I definitely prefer this lowly MP a little worse for wear....