Author Topic: Photobucket SUCKS ASS! Any other photo hosting site suggestions?  (Read 56707 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Photobucket SUCKS ASS! Any other photo hosting site suggestions?
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 06:39:12 PM »
Mel, I searched for you on Flickr and found your photostream and could see the follies photo in your photostream. The Share arrow is greyed out though...I think because the 'Viewing Privacy' set to 'Private'? Try changing to public perhaps?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2017, 10:56:09 PM »
As long as we never lose the nice images HA gets to post for free every day on APF  :-\

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »
This makes no sense, you can go to a hosting company for 80-100 a year and get unlimited disk space and bandwidth. Nothing like the good ol, make it cheap, build up the user base then jack up the price trick.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »
^ That's what I do. All my photos on APF are all still be up since my first photo post in Jan 2010. No interruptions, no stress, no playing whack a mole with pop-ups! Plus I use the space to host my collection website.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 12:09:13 AM »
Well what do you use, Steve?
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:28 AM »
Just a hosting company as mentioned, there are thousands to choose from, depending on ones requirements: eg software applications, Disk space . Just sounds a pain to be beholden to free services that can chop you off. I think Mel is onto at least his 3rd free site as I recall Mel was on some Apple site early on that did similar plug pulling.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
I'm NOT tech savvy at all...just give me the name of the hosting site you use or tell me how to find a directory. I'm CLUELESS (which is obvious by mny photobucket blackmail grid image in place of the Monster A GoGo gif). THANKS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 02:45:21 AM »
I use HostGo.com Not sure if they are still competitive a decade or more on since I joined them

Use Google to find others, search something like this cheap "web hosting"

You don't need to build a website, just use the Disk space for storage. Unless the hosting company gives you a domain name, you'll need one at about $15 per year. A domain name gives you web address to your files

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:49:24 AM by 50s »

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2017, 02:47:25 AM »
Super. THANK YOU!

guest4955

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
[quote author=50s link=topic=12212.msg222977#msg222977 date=1499833348}
 I think Mel is onto at least his 3rd free site as I recall Mel was on some Apple site early on that did similar plug pulling.
[/quote]

Incorrect. Maybe I used a freebie site way back but I used GoDaddy ($10 month) for PosterNirvana.com and MoviePosterCollectors.com and now use Register.com ($10 month) for MoviePosterCollectors.guide. Both hosting services are fine.

"Free" sites suck ass for sure, pop-up ads from hell, etc.

For designing I still use iWeb, which Apple discontinued years ago, probably because social media sites like FB took over the Net and nobody wanted to build sites anymore. It's pretty primitive but great for static, visually-rich sites like MPC.guide.

Way back in 2003 I "enjoyed" unemployment for a spell and mastered Dreamweaver but it's way too complicated and unnecessary for a typical MP site.

guest4955

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »
This makes no sense, you can go to a hosting company for 80-100 a year and get unlimited disk space and bandwidth. Nothing like the good ol, make it cheap, build up the user base then jack up the price trick.

Basically right but Pbucket offers compelling photo album display options you don't get on your own sites. Plus, if you stop paying the hosting fees, your images drop down a black hole:

PB Slideshow:

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/HereComesMongo1968/slideshow/Dewey%20Law%20Firm%20Posters

PB Story:

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/HereComesMongo1968/Dewey%20Law%20Firm%20Posters/story

guest4955

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »
As I've said before, you really should create a FB page to pimp your MP collection.

- It's free, although FB will constantly beg you to pay to promote it.
- It's 100% independent from your personal real-life FB.
- Can create flexible unlimited photo albums.
- Can create cool banners just like on an independent site.
- Can easily interact with your Page followers via posts, FB messaging, comments on your MP images, etc.

Here's mine, 15% personal, 85% adjunct to MPC.guide:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MoviePosterCollectors/photos/?tab=albums

Easy-peasey to get started:

Bazillion photo albums:

HQ images, easy to move to next photo:

Typical post:

guest4531

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »
HQ images ???    The reason I dislike FB is that images are resized and there is no way to get the full large size once you uploaded yours.     

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 08:53:58 PM »
Basically right but Pbucket offers compelling photo album display options you don't get on your own sites. Plus, if you stop paying the hosting fees, your images drop down a black hole:

You can copy your files to another hosting company, setup same folder structure, repoint your domain, all in plenty of time of end of contract. Much better flexibility than free host that springs any new terms on you without warning

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 10:52:40 PM »
Shawn, give Flickr a try. It's easy, straight forward and has been around quite a while.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »
Test...

Chris

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »
Test from Flickr

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2017, 12:20:29 AM »
Lookin' good there, Mike.

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2017, 12:38:12 AM »
Lookin' good there, Mike.

Yep flickr seems to work great for me! Bummer all the old post pictures are gone but oh well.

guest4955

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »
Am I the only one whose PB act is still working? I always get "please upgrade to $400 option for 3P access" warnings but it keeps working.

I guess I'm pretty foolish for risking it. I've got 1500+ images on PB distributed over four forums, so it would suck mightily if it failed.

Actually, I ran out of storage so I upgraded to the 50GB plan, which does not permit 3P either. I'm hoping I'm effectively bribing them not to block 3P:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
They probably just haven't starting purging all the accounts where someone is actually paying a fee - tackling all the free accounts first?
Chris

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »
Saw this on Facebook. Hope it helps:

Quick tip for everyone who still likes to frequent the collector forums, earlier this year photobucket in their infinite wisdom decided to disable 3rd party links and extort their users meaning years of work and millions of photos on forums across the web lost their pics. Someone has delivered the big middle finger to photobucket and made an extension for Chrome and Firefox which allows you to view the linked photos again. I just installed it and it works a treat. Of course if the photobucket account has since been deleted it won't work but many left theirs intact in case such a thing was sorted. Look up photobucket embed fix on the google store.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
I would count on that loop-hole lasting

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2017, 11:37:44 PM »
I can confirm as per above  ;D

Happy days are back (at least temporarily).  Google "photobucket embed fix" for either Firefox or Chrome & add the extension to your browser add-ons.  Very easy and quick!

I can see all the photobucket images again...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
I also downloaded and added the hotlink fix extension for Chrome and ALL the old photobucket-hosted images are showing up again (for now).

YAY!!  woohoo

-Jeff