Author Topic: What did you watch last night?  (Read 70375 times)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: What did you watch last night?
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
Suspicion is great indeed.

I have some friends currently spending the weekend with me at my place in Connecticut who had never seen The Night of the Hunter, a favorite of mine.  The only film directed by the great actor Charles Laughton, it was a commercial failure upon its release in 1955 but has subsequently been re-appraised as a masterpiece.  I hadn't seen it in several years, so I was more than happy to watch it again for my friend's benefit last night, especially since I recently read the book by Davis Grubb that the movie is based on.  The film didn't disappoint, it's still a wonderful story with a great turn by Robert Mitchum and fantastic set design and expressionist cinematography.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »
The Night of the Hunter is incredible.

Robert Mitchum is terrifying, especially as he hums that spiritual song, at different times throughout the film., or when he's closing in the children at different points.

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2018, 10:53:21 PM »
I watched Becoming Cary Grant.

It was a trip...Depressing much of it.

He is one of my favorite actors. Hard to see him as a mortal man.

You need to see it to know wtf Im talking about.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2018, 09:08:11 PM »
4.5 stars
Don't miss it.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
Awesome flick another 4.5

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2018, 12:21:39 AM »
Awesome flick another 4.5

Thanks, Crazy Vick.  I'll check it out.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
A movie I hadnt seen before... and perfect for the month and season.

THE VAMPIRE BAT (1933), with Fay Wray, Lionel Atwill, Melvyn Douglas and Dwight Frye. In addition, Lionel Belmore, who played the Burgomeister in Frankenstein, is also in the cast.

Frye, in typical fashion, is a trip to watch and even though a lower budget flick distributed by Majestic Pictures, the photography, sets, and overall look are all good, considering. And the cast is excellent, too.

Wray was also seen in this movie before either KING KONG or MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM, tho all 3 were released in 1933.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
The Vampire Bat sounds like a good spooky flick, and featuring Ms. Wray in her prime, eh?  Cool.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
Frye's look in VAMPIRE BAT. He certainly has that crazed look, a la Dracula's Renfield.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »
Decided to give the flick, JEEPERS CREEPERS (2001) a try last night. Not too horrible, with the acting by the 2 leads (Gina Philips and Justin Long), really pretty good.

The Creeper's makeup and costume... excellent. Tho the story had some truly dumb scenes, as most horror movies like this usually do.

Was worth the watch, imho.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 05:17:59 AM »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »
^ That's just a funny, in case you didn't know. 😹

Fake or Fortune season 1 episode 1, originally on BBC, now on Netflix.  Interesting stories, research, etc., with wise folks in the fine art biz.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »

Hi Neo, I saw a one star review of Russel's Netflix Santa Claus flick, and then this photo you posted.  I wanted to watch it after your post!  Okie

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2018, 01:41:50 PM »
I wanted to watch it after your post!  Okie

Now I want to watch it after hearing about the 1 star review.  8)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2018, 10:06:04 PM »
Now I want to watch it after hearing about the 1 star review.  8)

Me too!

LOL!

Good stuff!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2018, 12:09:27 AM »
Dressed to Kill 1946.  Holmes and Watson still great in their last of the Rathbone/Bruce team.  What more could you want: music box code, Holmes calling card, auctions, prison, violin, femme fatale, Watson's accidental insight, cat-mouse-cat, poison gas, and that famous Universal quick ending?  Great to watch!   Okie
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:22:09 AM by okiehawker »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2018, 08:10:55 PM »
The Man Who Would be King (1975).  I thought it was still a great movie. The film showed colonialism at its worst wrapped in a Kipling greedy buddy adventure.  Hard to beat Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Christopher Plummer, Saeed Jaffrey, and I was surprised to see the incredibly beautiful Shakira Caine (Michael Caine is her husband in real life). If you've read Talbot Mundy's King of the Khyber Rifles, I'll just say there is a lack of respect for the human head in both stories.

Okie

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »
Decent original sci-fi flick I believe first played on Netflix.  Creepy ending, good acting overall and yes T, Natalie Portman is in it... so is Oscar Isaac (you will know him as Poe from SW).  He's from Guatemala City originally actually... always thought he was Italian for some reason...   dontknow.gif

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2019, 05:14:32 PM »
Decent original sci-fi flick I believe first played on Netflix.  Creepy ending, good acting overall and yes T, Natalie Portman is in it... so is Oscar Isaac (you will know him as Poe from SW).  He's from Guatemala City originally actually... always thought he was Italian for some reason...   dontknow.gif

Annihilation?
-Jay-

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2019, 12:07:28 AM »
Saturn 3 (1980) starring Farrah Fawcett, Kirk Douglas, and Harvey Keitel.  I think it is better than the 18% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Kirk (63 years old at the time and still in Kirk Douglas tough guy shape with a few more wrinkles) was Farrah's (33 years old on release date and, well, all good things Farrah) love interest. It was interesting in that this SF movie for its time was pretty upfront about the age difference between Kirk and Farrah and included Keitel espousing youth should replace old.  The movie tries to be a mean robot movie, though I think during the nearly 39 years since it's release, the age discussion in the movie holds up as well as the robot theme.  The robot with actual brain material is kinda wildly weird, too.  The cool Thai movie poster made me want to watch this movie.  I'm a sucker for Farrah as well: she's lovely of course, though honestly, I've always found her voice uniquely soothing.  Okie