Author Topic: R2-D2 Unit Sold by Profiles in History for $2.3 MIL  (Read 10036 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
R2-D2 Unit Sold by Profiles in History for $2.3 MIL
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
As posted by MOPO owner Scott Burns a little while ago. And what an iconic piece of movie history to be able to own  faint2.gif:

"A complete R2D2 just sold for $2.3 million at the Profiles in History movie memorabilia auction.

Not being a prop collector, I wonder is this price record setting?

From the catalog:
1298. Complete “R2-D2” unit assembled from original components spanning the original Star Wars trilogy and Episodes I & II. (TCF, 1977 - 2002) A complete film used R2 unit is not known to be in the public domain – this R2-D2 offering represents the pinnacle of the Star Wars collecting universe. For the productions following Star Wars: A New Hope, to save time in meeting production deadlines, R2 components were reused from the previous Star Wars films.

As filming progressed, R2 units were upgraded and refurbished, with outdated components being retired. This process has been confirmed by numerous crew members who worked on the Star Wars film franchise. This R2-D2, constructed of aluminum, steel and fiberglass elements, measuring 43 in. tall x 29.5 in. wide x 20 in. deep (in current pose), was put together over many years by sourcing original components and assembling them as a complete R2-D2. The dome was one of the few hero aluminum domes made for R2 actor Kenny Baker in the first film (A New Hope, 1977) and is the only one known in the public domain.

It was used throughout the original trilogy as well as Episode I and can be screen matched by the fiber optic array to scenes in Return of the Jedi and Episode I. It features a handle to articulate the front eye from inside the unit by Kenny Baker. The metal “greeblies” (fine details added to make the device appear more complex) inserted into the front and rear of the body, and those on the feet, were made for A New Hope and used on R2 units throughout the original trilogy. The left and right legs were made for Empire Strikes Back and were acquired as complete items. One leg retains the Empire paint scheme and the other from Jedi. The middle and left foot were used on an original trilogy R2 and were used as the master pattern for the feet created for Episode I. The right foot is production made for Episode I but not used. The small opening hatch on the back of the body was used in Episode II. The barrel of the body was made for Episode I and it was subsequently painted and detailed for this R2 unit. Given the ad hoc nature of production practices, any “complete” existing R2-D2 units from the first trilogy (in studio hands) would be a compilation very similar to this R2-D2 unit offered here. No internal mechanics or workings are present.

Not merely a prop, costume piece or filming miniature, R2-D2 is a major, beloved character in the Star Wars universe. Without question, this is the finest piece ever offered from this incredible franchise.

One of the most instantly recognizable pieces of pop culture in existence."

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:42:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: R2D2 Unit Sold by Profiles in History for $2.3 MIL
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »
Don't forget the 28% BP!

I guess a lightsaber went for $375k hammer and the Saturday Night Fever dance floor went for $1.2M hammer.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »
Marilyn's Seven Year Itch Dress sold for over $5.5 million.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:44:34 PM »
Don't forget the 28% BP!

I guess a lightsaber went for $375k hammer and the Saturday Night Fever dance floor went for $1.2M hammer.

With the added BP, it brought the grand total up to $2.76 MIL.   jawdrop

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
Don't forget the 28% BP!

It was Luke Skywalker's screen used lightsaber in both A New Hope and ESB.. Here's a closeup shot of the actual prop.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:02:42 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:20 PM »
As a camera guy, I get great enjoyment from the fact that lightsabers are essentially blinged out battery holders for the flash on an old 4x5 press camera!

https://www.wired.com/2011/07/star-wars-lightsaber-is-a-hacked-flashgun-battery-pack/

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 08:34:14 PM »
What/who made r2d2 move forward and back (no internal mechanics)?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: R2-D2 Unit Sold by Profiles in History for $2.3 MIL
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 09:42:37 PM »
What/who made r2d2 move forward and back (no internal mechanics)?

From the R2-D2 wikipedia page, Steve:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R2-D2

"In the original Star Wars films, there were two R2-D2 models, one that was remote controlled and rolled on three wheeled legs, and another which was worn by English actor Kenny Baker and walked on two legs. Deep Roy (who also doubled Yoda in several scenes), served as Baker's double, in both Episodes V and VI; providing stunts and filling in when Baker was unavailable. The radio controlled R2 was operated by John Stears in A New Hope, Brian Johnson in The Empire Strikes Back and by Kit West in Return of the Jedi.

Kenny Baker, who portrayed R2-D2 in costume, was not involved in the Star Wars Holiday Special. R2 was portrayed entirely by a radio controlled unit, operated by Mick Garris[15] (Lucas' receptionist at the time). In the credits, R2-D2 is credited as playing himself. Garris later went on to operate the radio controlled R2 at various events, including the Oscars.

There were a total of 15 R2-D2s on the set of Attack of the Clones. Eight were radio-controlled; two were worn by Baker; the remainder were stunt models that could be moved by puppet strings or towed by wires. The robotic R2s were prone to failure, particularly while shooting the Tatooine scenes in Tunisia.

Radio controlled units were extensively utilised for the Prequel trilogy, due to advances in technology, though Baker was still used in some scenes. R2-D2 had three principal operators: Don Bies, Jolyon Bambridge and Grant Imahara."

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 09:46:23 PM »
Don't forget the 28% BP!

20% - phone bidder. 28% is for ebay & Invaluable online bidders who use credit cards or Paypal to pay

also, the SNF was $1m hammer, $1.2 w/bp

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4955

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »
Star Wars is like crack cocaine for Gen X especially:

guest4955

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 05:21:40 AM »
We all should praise George Lucas! He's spending $1.4 BILLION of his Star Wars haul to 100% pay for (including 100% of future expenses) for his insanely-cool LA MUSEUM OF NARRATIVE ART. GL you are finally forgiven for plaguing us with Jar-Jar Binks, ha-ha....

The Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday gave its unanimous approval to George Lucas' Museum of Narrative Art, which may break ground this year at Exposition Park.

The "Star Wars" creator addressed the council before its 14-0 vote to OK an environmental impact report and other details.

"For a very brief time I actually grew up here," said Lucas, who has a film degree from USC, which is just north of the park. "That's where I learned movies. That's where I learned my craft. Basically where I started my career was in school here."

Lucas and his wife, Mellody Hobson, the business executive who is a driving force behind the project, had also considered building the museum in his hometown, San Francisco, or hers, Chicago. Finally it came down to the two California locations, with L.A. announced as the site in January. Ma Yansong of MAD Architects will design the museum, which is expected to open in 2021.

The cost of the project, estimated at $1 billion, will be footed by the Lucas family. There also will be a $400-million Lucas endowment.

“It is the largest private gift in our city, in our state or in our nation's history,” said Councilman Curren D. Price Jr., whose district includes Exposition Park.

Per the Los Angeles Times' art critic Christopher Knight (who's not a fan of the idea), the museum will include illustrations for magazines, posters and children’s books by artists including Maxfield Parrish, Arthur Rackham, Beatrix Potter, Frank Adams and Norman Rockwell; a small group of paintings by Edgar Degas, Winslow Homer, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Everett Shinn and others; and lots of movie set designs, costumes and storyboards.

Lucas' personal collection of art and cinematic memorabilia is the foundation of the new museum's offerings, and yes, "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" will be represented.

"With unanimous support from our City Council, the Lucas Museum is officially coming home to L.A.!" Mayor Eric Garcetti said on social media Tuesday, posting a picture of himself with the council members.

guest4955

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 05:46:08 AM »
Well worth your time to check out the 1,000+ items (only 1% MP-related) offered in terrific Flipboard view:

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/flipbooks/Hollywood89/mobile/index.html#p=1

Some of my faves:

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
I couldn't make it to Calabassas for this auction or preview, but last 2 auctions, I previewed stuff for 3 days each time & was there for 2 days of bidding both times.
It's lots of fun

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------