Author Topic: How K. Haggard fooled/swindled several top collectors in 2007-09 with fake MPs  (Read 16532 times)

guest4955

I never really understood in Round 1 how the notorious swindler Kerry Haggard fooled top collectors like Jim Gresham with numerous expensive fake MPs and LCs. I also never understood why Gresham dropped his claims against the restorer Jamie Mendez.

Perhaps the technical details were unveiled on MOPO but I missed them.

Anyways, it occurred to me recently to locate/download the court records to see what they revealed. Here's what the 12/2009 Amended Complaint reveals:

Later court records revealed that Haggard stopped defending the case after he was jailed and declared bankruptcy.

In 2012 the court issued its legal findings and  $2.6 million judgment against Haggard:

I don't know whether Gresham  subsequently recovered either dollars or his MP trades to Haggard.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
And as Jim Gresham said in this post to MOPO, back in July 2011, when his 2nd book, They're Here Already, was published and ready for sale, about what he had to deal with, with regard to the Haggards:

The full post is here: http://www.mail-archive.com/mopo-l@listserv.american.edu/msg46891.html

Ive only included the portion below, where he speaks about the runaround he got from the Haggard twosome:

"Many people ask how they can help with the legal battles against Kerry Haggard. This is actually one way you can assist in holding this guy accountable. 

I have spent nearly $100,000 in legal fees thus far.  I have no regrets as Haggard sits in prison this very moment.  But, if you want to help, book sales will go towards legal fees.  While that may seem like a lot of money, Haggard has done just about everything he could to avoid persecution. He transferred assets to his wife. When we sued them, they filed for divorce, making it so they have to be pursued in two separate states. 

As I got close on Haggard, he filed for Bankruptcy.  We knew that was a fraud and we went to GA to fight his bankruptcy.  We were successful in getting that set aside.  This allowed anyone who sued Haggard to once again go after him.  Then Tiffany his former wife filed for bankruptcy.  Now we have to fight that in Arizona. 

They are both nasty evil people and they have played every legal game possible.  But I believe in our legal system.

The FBI have been incredible.

Concerning Haggard, we hope to have positive news for our hobby soon.

Thanks so much, Jim Gresham"

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:59:48 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
all I can say.. is that this story is not yet over.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
all I can say.. is that this story is not yet over.

Indeed not. ;)

And in the mean time,  I can say that Mr Gresham has received a number of his items back; and more are to be returned, as well. clap clap  woohoo cheers

-Jeff

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Indeed not. ;)

And in the mean time,  I can say that Mr Gresham has received a number of his items back; and more are to be returned, as well. clap clap  woohoo cheers

Many more are still missing and may well never be recovered, and of course Gresham will be out the money forever.
The confiscated parts of the Haggard collection will be coming to auction soon and the money that they bring will be used to (partially) compensate the many victims of his scheme. It is estimated that Haggard received nearly $2 million in cash and an equal amount in posters over the years he was doing this. That's not only money that is permanently out of the hobby, but a lot of it is material that is still missing and may be permanently out also.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Many more are still missing and may well never be recovered, and of course Gresham will be out the money forever.
The confiscated parts of the Haggard collection will be coming to auction soon and the money that they bring will be used to (partially) compensate the many victims of his scheme. It is estimated that Haggard received nearly $2 million in cash and an equal amount in posters over the years he was doing this. That's not only money that is permanently out of the hobby, but a lot of it is material that is still missing and may be permanently out also.

Here's hoping that the auction does VERY well, so that Jim and all the others can get some of their swndled cash back.  prayer.gif

And it will be interesting, too, to see what items appear in this auction.

-Jeff

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
And who was giving me shit on this forum for not liking Todd Feiertag?

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve

Move along, bozo

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
And it will be interesting, too, to see what items appear in this auction.

i know. :)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster

Has Todd's involvement ever been discussed?  I didn't realize he was mixed up in this...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder

Has Todd's involvement ever been discussed?  I didn't realize he was mixed up in this...

Who can discuss it when others try to shut you down?

guest4955

I'll take a second shot at the legal papers to find out and dig up pics of the fakes. There's a lot of papers I skipped.

guest4955

Ok, I did a deeper dive into the court records.

In their Answer to the First Complaint (not the later one I posted earlier), Haggard and his wife vaguely denied the fraud accusations, claiming they lacked sufficient knowledge.

I skimmed the 230 page deposition of Haggard's wife. She denies knowing about the fraud, says she "doesn't care about" the posters, doesn't know what Haggard did with his own originals and Gresham's trades, and never got any straight answers from Haggard about what happened. She declared bankruptcy and was apparently dropped as a target.

Haggard was never deposed, presumably b/c he was imprisoned.

Jaime Mendez filed the following affidavit, which Gresham used to redraft and submit his second Complaint, which I included above, which drops Mendez as a defendant.

In the Motion for Summary Judgment, which the judge fully accepted b/c it was unopposed, Gresham describes Fiertag's involvement:

The records include 20+ authentications by Poster Mountain. Here are three that interested me:

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
I heard that the Mendez chap does restoration for Heritage. Is that true?

If that's the case I'm shocked Heritage use him when he knowingly was involved in this high profile scam.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Cant believe Jamie came out of this with no fine, no jail time. Ridiculous to claim no knowledge of what the hell Haggard was up to. Aging the front to make stuff look authentic for display I can buy, aging the back to pass off... who the hell is going to spend the money he charges to make up a fake of that quality just for their own display.

Haggard's facebook into..

Intro
Mastermind of the greatest movie poster scandal in american history.

faint2.gif unreal, thats something to brag about.

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
Fascinating reading...this and the links below.  I was on one of my breaks from this hobby then so hadn't known about this.  I do think I've learned about a few restorers who I would never do business with in the future though. 
-Brian

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Cant believe Jamie came out of this with no fine, no jail time. Ridiculous to claim no knowledge of what the hell Haggard was up to. Aging the front to make stuff look authentic for display I can buy, aging the back to pass off... who the hell is going to spend the money he charges to make up a fake of that quality just for their own display.

he may not have known in the beginning, but you can't be that stupid for all that very long.

as to the why no jail..

this is the scene in Blue Bloods where Bridget Moynihan tells the thug "whoever turns first has a get out of jail free card."

the other side, was that Jim knew that without Jaime, there was a poor case against Haggard for conspiracy and Jaime wasn't giving a deposition unless he came out clean. So, no lawsuit either.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Ooooooh, that Todd Feiertag...................such an upstanding guy.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
I emailed and asked Jim Gresham about what he knew or his thoughts about Todd Feiertag's part (if any) in the Haggard scandal.

Jim wrote me back this afternoon, stating that Todd was the person who first took Haggard to the printer who then made the beautiful hi res copies, BUT Gresham also said that he didnt believe that Feiertag ever knew that Haggard would take things any further, let alone him knowing anything about Haggard having the fakes created & made.

It sounds like Haggard asked Todd F if he knew of a good quality printer where he could have repro images done, since Todd comes from that background.

But no other involvement by Todd F in the scandal. And again, this is per Jim Gresham directly, so Ive no reason to doubt that Gresham would state other than what he truly believed.

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
Wow! All of that is just crazy......and sad.
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
I emailed and asked Jim Gresham about what he knew or his thoughts about Todd Feiertag's part (if any) in the Haggard scandal.

Jim wrote me back this afternoon, stating that Todd was the person who first took Haggard to the printer who then made the beautiful hi res copies, BUT Gresham also said that he didnt believe that Feiertag ever knew that Haggard would take things any further, let alone him knowing anything about Haggard having the fakes created & made.

It sounds like Haggard asked Todd F if he knew of a good quality printer where he could have repro images done, since Todd comes from that background.

But no other involvement by Todd F in the scandal. And again, this is per Jim Gresham directly, so Ive no reason to doubt that Gresham would state other than what he truly believed.

Then why would the court find otherwise?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
I only relayed what thoughts Jim Gresham expressed to me.

-Jeff