Author Topic: Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?  (Read 5631 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
No condition report in your latest auction, Rich???  Do you actually expect people to examine the pictures to see if the posters are mint?  Not for me, unfortunately.

T
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:55:45 PM by erik1925 »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Re: Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »
No condition report???  Do you actually expect people to examine the pictures to see if the posters are mint?  Not for me, unfortunately.

T

Unfortunately, I had to set this list up from Cinevent and I didn't have the posters with me. There are no back-of-poster defects and with my great photos, anyone should be able to tell what condition any poster is in and the large majority are all C-8 or better

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »
Maybe you should have waited a week and do a proper condition report.  It is extremely important to some.  "...the large majority are all C-8 or better" is not enough.  Not very professional there, Richie.  Good luck anyway.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
Maybe you should have waited a week and do a proper condition report.  It is extremely important to some.  "...the large majority are all C-8 or better" is not enough.  Not very professional there, Richie.  Good luck anyway.

T

golly T, nice way to spoil my post

:P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 01:20:09 PM »
golly T, nice way to spoil my post

:P

Dude, you've done it to others when you think they're wrong.  And in this case, I disagree with the way you do things and I say it.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
Re: Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »
Dude, you've done it to others when you think they're wrong.  And in this case, I disagree with the way you do things and I say it.

T

find any time on this forum when I posted any negative comments in anyone's FA/FS/FT posting.

all my critiques about anyone at anytime are posted in discussion forums.

Period.

NOTE: all posts before this point were originally posted in my FA thread. In case you don't quite get the conversation so far.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:43:37 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »
Rich should just list everything as being "Very Good to Fine", that should satisfy T.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
find any time on this forum when I posted any negative comments in anyone's FA/FS/FT posting.

Period.

NOTE: all posts before this point were originally posted in my FA thread. In case you don't quite get the conversation so far.

He's nitpicking you the same way you nitpick Bruce. It's hilarious.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
Grading is very subjective in my opinion. I consider the seller's assessment, but review the pictures for accuracy.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
He's nitpicking you the same way you nitpick Bruce. It's hilarious.

Incorrect JC.
He was nitpicking me in the wrong place. Read my quoted post below and understand what it says. IE: he was posting his ragging in my FA thread, which is against the rules of the board. This commentary was moved by the moderators into this separate thread when T realized my FA thread, was the incorrect place for his discussion. Nowhere do my comments say he was wrong to comment, he was just wrong to comment where he commented. Of course, context may not be the strong suit of everyone who reads my quote below

Period.

as to his remark, he has a valid complaint that I don't have grades listed, but there is an explanation and there is the photo. Everyone knows I have among the best photos posted online for auctions and you can easily see any defects, I explained that there are no unseen defects and most are C-8 or better and as Chris says
Grading is very subjective in my opinion. I consider the seller's assessment, but review the pictures for accuracy.

so I don't mind T's question or his query. He has a preference for grading, and clearly I do as well as this is only the second time in 40 auctions I wasn't able to provide them. I do have an explanation and he can choose to bid or not as is his pleasure (myself, if I was interested in JP posters, I'd be bidding, because you can pick up lots of posters for $5 each! But that's just me.)

However, T does make one mistake here when he titled this thread "Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?"

well yes, they should accurately describe what they are selling, and you will not find posters in my listings that are inaccurately described.
The issue is whether the additional grade information is a 'requirement', but to most, the photo would answer the questions people have on grading

Do I think "Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?" is a good question regarding sellers in general?
Oh Yeah. Yeah I do.
That's why when a major seller offers a potentially 1962R Belgian Casablanca poster and posts it as 1947R, because clearly a 1947R would garner 3-4x the price, I do comment about it. So yes I do believe the question of "Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?" is the correct discussion

When a major dealer offers a supposed "teaser style" for National Lampoon's Vacation that appears to be a commercial poster, I do believe the question of "Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?"  is the correct discussion

When a major dealer sells some Bruce Lee cards as 'Hong Kong' one time 'Swedish' another time, 'Danish' another time and then inexplicably goes back to 'Hong Kong" the next time, I do believe the question of "Should sellers accurately describe what they are selling?"  is the correct discussion

Of course, it seems every time such issues were discussed, nobody liked it. Unless it's Posterfix.. Everyone likes to gripe about Posterfix

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:27:41 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »
The issue is whether the additional grade information is a 'requirement', but to most, the photo would answer the questions people have on grading

I disagree, Rich, a photo doesn't show everything.  I like my posters mint, as you may know.  I have trashed hundreds of modern posters for not being in the utmost condition.  I do not want imperfections, no matter how small, and sometimes a picture does not show them, especially little creases.  If you tell me it's C9, I can probably live with that, especially for a poster pre 1990,  30 years is enough time for little imperfections to arise.  But C8 does not work, at least for me.  C8 could mean little tears, creases, tiny folds, things that I do not want.  I might be the only one who likes his modern posters in mint condition, but this is what works for me.  Others are free to disagree.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »
Also, why couldn't you wait a week and make an accurate description of the posters you're selling?  I don't remember you ever doing that before.  Did they have to go up while you were at that fair (can't remember its name now)?

I personally won't be bidding but I'm sure others will as there are good items there and not everybody is as crazy as I am.  Now back to the Orange Fascist :)

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 07:53:47 PM »
I disagree, Rich, a photo doesn't show everything.  I like my posters mint, as you may know.  I have trashed hundreds of modern posters for not being in the utmost condition.  I do not want imperfections, no matter how small, and sometimes a picture does not show them, especially little creases.  If you tell me it's C9, I can probably live with that, especially for a poster pre 1990,  30 years is enough time for little imperfections to arise.  But C8 does not work, at least for me.  C8 could mean little tears, creases, tiny folds, things that I do not want.  I might be the only one who likes his modern posters in mint condition, but this is what works for me.  Others are free to disagree.

I never said I particularly agreed nor disagreed with your position. I understand that for you. Of course, you know my C-8 is a darned good poster, but how about this, if you decide to bid (there is enough time) and buy something just a tad less than you were hoping, you know you can always send it back. I'll pay both ways shipping so you have no cost other than your time. Aside from that 2 wave curl JP posters have, most of these posters probably are what you want anyway. You have nothing to lose!

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
Also, why couldn't you wait a week and make an accurate description of the posters you're selling?  I don't remember you ever doing that before.  Did they have to go up while you were at that fair (can't remember its name now)?

I personally won't be bidding but I'm sure others will as there are good items there and not everybody is as crazy as I am.  Now back to the Orange Fascist :)

I need to keep something more regular going to maintain traffic.
This is a ton crapload of work and I do other stuff too, like go someplace or trying to list stuff set sale etc, I missed 2 weeks and had an auction, I didn't want to skip another week and yes, there was a rolled poster week I had neither actors etc nor grades listed, but everything was C-9 that week anyway (again, I was out of town)

But hey look, bidders get a benefit! The weeks that I can't really do the listings data or several day promos, the stuff sells for less! Bidders make out like bandits and I don't mind! I'm giving something up and that is the bidder's gain.. Good for you. I'm still happy!

:D

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »
Okay, I bid...  Won 10 or 11.

I'm trusting you, Ritchie!!!
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
Okay, I bid...  Won 10 or 11.

I'm trusting you, Ritchie!!!

you only bid because you know you can!

sm1

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 09:26:24 PM »
It’s a MPB/APF miracle!
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,