Author Topic: 1979 Article "Big Boom in Movie Posters” by Mark Del Costello & His MPs  (Read 8363 times)

guest4955

http://americanfilm.afi.com/issue/2013/2/archives#.WTfA3cm1s6s

In the age of eBay and ANTIQUES ROADSHOW, it’s fun to look back at Mark del Costello’s prescient pictorial piece, “Big Boom in Movie Posters,” that appeared in the July/August issue of American Film™ in 1979. Readers who began to collect film art when that story ran 34 years ago have done very well indeed. Del Costello refers to “rare” posters fetching up to $6,500; today, there’s an eBay listing of $50,000 for FLASH GORDON’S TRIP TO MARS. Even a relatively inexpensive ATTACK OF THE 50 FT. WOMAN lists for $18,000 – that’s $360 a foot! Of course, there are many more posters available for under $5.00 of the 284,071 current eBay movie poster listings, but those are reproductions. Debi Jacobson, owner of L’Imagerie Gallery in North Hollywood, began selling movie posters in 1977. “For anything really important, the boom is still there,” she told us. Her 6,200 square-foot building is packed with original film art and, while many collectors use eBay rather than visiting poster galleries or websites like hers, Jacobson advises that “people have to educate themselves to make intelligent decisions about film posters,” warning of the potential for fraud. Of course, monetary value is one thing, but the gorgeous images accompanying del Costello’s article remain impressive simply as works of art that preserve and amplify our deepest movie memories.

Follow link above for rest of article....

guest4955

I phoned/emailed Del Costello in 2014. He sent me pics of his incredible MP donations to MOMA:

He also sent me MP research:

guest4955

Needless to say, those posters were worth a fortune!

guest4955

I've forgotten the details but he eventually sued (unsuccessfully) MOMA to get his donations back.

I guess all his posters are buried deep in MOMA's archives.

guest4531

I phoned/emailed Del Costello in 2014. He sent me pics of his incredible MP donations to MOMA:

Well, if even Escobar moved to poster markets, I guess there is money :)

Really, he donated to MOMA and then sued them ?    As article said, pretty sure he did well and still doing well as, just like MOMA, he presumably has posters under the bed.

Thanks for the story, def. a 100th post story !

guest4955

Well, if even Escobar moved to poster markets, I guess there is money :)

Really, he donated to MOMA and then sued them ?    As article said, pretty sure he did well and still doing well as, just like MOMA, he presumably has posters under the bed.

Thanks for the story, def. a 100th post story !

No, he gave away all his best stuff in the 1980s.

Not sure why he sued. Either for $$ or unhappy w/ MOMA's treatment of his posters.