Author Topic: Mel: Collecting Round 2.0 begins!  (Read 50592 times)

guest4955

Re: Mel: Collecting Round 2.0 begins!
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2017, 04:53:26 AM »
So a couple of anecdotes to entertain all the poster nerds enthusiasts hereabouts.

First, my personal assistants' boss visited me today.I'm an atypical client. 98% of their clients are both elderly and suffer moderate to severe dementia. Anyway she's a 24yo grad student. Upon entering my apt., for two minutes she "sang the praises" over my framed MP collection, "wonderful" etc. Of course,I pay her salary but she sounded sincere. She's quite frank about the abysmally low salaries they pay her and my assistants and she's moving into my apartment complex to save money. So I don't think she was BSing me about the MPs. (No there's no romantic interplay here T!)

Second, a non-MP ditty. As I mentioned earlier I was forced to leave my beloved city of D.C. to move to the red-state purgatory of Charlotte NC to be closer to my family. That's the bad news. The really good news is that I randomly picked an apt. just a few feet from the middle of the apt. pool. It was the middle of the winter when I moved and I just picked a random 1st floor apt., didn't care about its proximity to the pool.

As it turns out, on summer weekdays 5-10 hottie bikini-clad coeds hang out by the pool for several hours. Zero cheeseball dudes in sight. On weekends 20-25 babes descend on the pool along with 10-15 hombres. Needless to say, I often find myself gazing at the amazing bounty of beauty just feet away from my couch. No doubt I'm a perv especially since these lasses are half my age but can you blame me?

The average age at my DC apt. was 65yo, by stark contrast. It was perfectly normal to rent all your life and not own a car, totally bizarre scenario in 98% of the USA of course.

Anyways today I ventured out to my porch today to ... er ... admire the view and clumsily dropped my new $1000 iPad Pro two feet onto the concrete floor. No biggie I thought since I had bought a plastic protector for it and Apple vaunts its Gorilla glass. But to my horror the screen was badly cracked and several cracks spidered throughout most of the screen:

After my initial panic subsided, I again thought no biggie , it's probably cheap just to replace the glass. To my dismay I learned that Apple charges $550 to fix the screens of iPad Pros. A local shop quoted me $450. Oh sh*t, I thought. Being a horny bastard cost me $500 today!

Out of desperation I consulted the Google God again and learned that I could buy AppleCare+ for 60 days after purchase for "only" $100, which covers screen repairs for $50. Cool I thought I'll just take a couple of minutes online and sign up. It took me more than THREE HOURS to complete the process. Making a long story short, the total incompetents at Apple required me to run a diagnostic test on my iPad. But the tool button was non-functional in emails sent to FIVE different email addresses. Each time I had to fill out endless forms to get the email sent to a new address.

I finally called Apple. The first person wasted 20 minutes and didn't believe the diag buttons were non-functional in my emails. Finally he elevated my call up the chain until somebody competetent solved the situation. 'Awesome' he said at the end, I guess hipster dialogue is the norm nowadays in customer service.

In sum being a creepster looky-loo "only" cost me $150 and three hours. 'Nuff said. Can you believe you just wasted five minutes of your life trudging through this endless post, ha-ha....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2017, 12:41:07 PM »
Some good storytelling skills there, Melvin boy.  A fun read.  Post a "real" picture of the view when you get a chance.  Hopefully it was all worth it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »
Post a "real" picture of the view when you get a chance.  Hopefully it was all worth it.

Er, my 32yo degenerate personal assistant snapped this one:

I really should fire the bugger....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
OMG, what's your address?  On my way!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
Nice view. That should help your recovery. Are the bars to keep you away from them?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »
This is quickly moving towards an unsettling Rear Window vibe...
Chris

guest4955

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »

maybe but where the hell is Grace Kelly?

guest4955

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2017, 11:25:13 PM »
OMG, what's your address?  On my way!!!
First, I'm coming to L.A. The "Rear Window" view there:

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »

more likely this

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2017, 12:55:42 AM »
Nice personal assistant to take photos of young nubile women for you

guest4955

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2017, 08:27:32 AM »
Nice personal assistant to take photos of young nubile women for you

Of course I took it, ha-ha.

more likely this

And really Rich, don't be so f-ing nasty. It's all in good fun around here. And I recall when you asked me about your legal options against Andrew Rawls (I think that was him), who was crazily-hounding you for months all over the Internet, including YouTube, as I recall. Now you're almost indistinguishable from him.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »
I'd take a photo too, no one would believe otherwise. I wonder why they are there as the apartment complex seems for older people?

guest4955

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2017, 09:27:36 AM »
I'd take a photo too, no one would believe otherwise. I wonder why they are there as the apartment complex seems for older people?

My D.C. Apt. was forolder people.My immediate neighbor was 94yo and had lived there for 40 years. She lamely told me she had NEVER visited the apt. pool in all those years! But she did hilariously tell me she had had three heart attacks and was to cheap to take an ambulance to the hospital so she just ordered a taxi when they occurred!!

The complex in Charlotte - typical for US - attracts mostly college kids and 30somethings. Most peeps here smartly buy a house as soon as possible and escape the treadmill of perpetually renting as common in DC & NYC.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »
And really Rich, don't be so f-ing nasty. It's all in good fun around here. And I recall when you asked me about your legal options against Andrew Rawls (I think that was him), who was crazily-hounding you for months all over the Internet, including YouTube, as I recall. Now you're almost indistinguishable from him.

good lord Mel, you are such a dope

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4955

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
Alright the joke's run its course but I can't resist posting one more pic for your "enjoyment":

guest4531

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2017, 04:51:56 AM »
Girls at the pool with Birkenstock sandals, dude that's hot !!!

guest4955

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »
Girls at the pool with Birkenstock sandals, dude that's hot !!!

You noticed the shoes? 😳

I can only say me and my assists think the view is either hilarious, frightening, or awe-inducing depending on who plants their @ss outside my porch. It was super-chunky femmes and hombres yesterday. 😬

Well I guess I'ma 5 Star perv nowadays. I snapped this pic from my TV this morning. The local NBC traffic reporter is a friggin supermodel-in-the-wings fer sure:

PS I was an employment defense atty for 20 years. I never handled a "you're fired b/c you're too beautiful for the work environment" case but it was fictionalized on Ally Mc Beal when Courtney Thorne-Smith's boss transferred her to appease his jealous wife.

Of course 95% of discrim plaintiffs are crazy-as-hell. One cuckoo looked up my FB page and submitted screenshots of my politically-incorrect posts to the court.

'Nuff said....

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2017, 06:39:33 PM »
The weather girl looks like she just farted

guest4531

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2017, 02:04:59 AM »
The weather girl looks like she just farted

Or just a normal little hangover followed by a line of coke with coffee at 8am and brunch with champagne, just before the noon weather forecast !!   

https://68.media.tumblr.com/4ee75d604b77d6f321deadf52c45efae/tumblr_nt2l2eVH2p1tu5xkwo1_500.jpg
http://www.splitting-images.com/JulieBarnett-LesleyGuinness.jpg

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2017, 02:08:33 AM »
Or just a normal little hangover followed by a line of coke with coffee at 8am and brunch with champagne, just before the noon weather forecast !!   

https://68.media.tumblr.com/4ee75d604b77d6f321deadf52c45efae/tumblr_nt2l2eVH2p1tu5xkwo1_500.jpg
http://www.splitting-images.com/JulieBarnett-LesleyGuinness.jpg

Badda bing, badda boom.  verydrunk.gif  potroll.gif

Gotta enjoy those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, no matter what it takes.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2017, 04:26:32 AM »
Don't forget Stevie Wonder is down under, so it's snowing like crazy there now! Er maybe:

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »

Yeah, you can tell it's cold as he is wearing a warm hat to keep his head warm

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
It's a pleasure to meet you Mel. My name is Chris. I 100% understand your path down the rabbit hole into the addiction that we all know as poster collecting. I have been very hit and miss lately. I have around 600 or so in my collection. Continued discontent has cause endless delays for my website. I want it to look and feel a certain way, and have yet to fulfill that desire. I may just suck it up and let it be, and release it....

I am somewhat of a completest on certain titles, again hit or miss.  My main focus in the hobby is Horror roughly 80's and up, but I do dabble with others that catch my eye. Purely for aesthetic value of course, For example I acquired a French 1p for Scream of Fear because I adore the art. I also collect Disney OS and INTL OS. I do not buy any non US/INTL versions of Disney posters. I recently painted a mural for my daughter in her bedroom. I placed a 27 x 40 snap frame in the middle of the main wall. She currently has Moana on display. Which is appropriate considering the mural is an underwater scene. There is a post here with pictures and such if your interested. I believe it is in the life thread???  I also collect Monsters, UFOS, and Dames in distress. Though this part of my collection is mainly budget driven, I have some pretty cool stuff if I do say so myself. Like a 1960R of King Kong from Argentina, beautiful red white and black palette. Or some original B & W stills from films like Godzilla, Kong,  Them!, or Saucermen. This part of my collection I have mostly horded away and quietly collected.

So, welcome back. Who knows, maybe I will post a little more in the near future.

This Space For Rent!

guest4955

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2017, 04:45:02 AM »
It's a pleasure to meet you Mel. My name is Chris. I 100% understand your path down the rabbit hole into the addiction that we all know as poster collecting. I have been very hit and miss lately. I have around 600 or so in my collection. Continued discontent has cause endless delays for my website. I want it to look and feel a certain way, and have yet to fulfill that desire. I may just suck it up and let it be, and release it....

I am somewhat of a completest on certain titles, again hit or miss.  My main focus in the hobby is Horror roughly 80's and up, but I do dabble with others that catch my eye. Purely for aesthetic value of course, For example I acquired a French 1p for Scream of Fear because I adore the art. I also collect Disney OS and INTL OS. I do not buy any non US/INTL versions of Disney posters. I recently painted a mural for my daughter in her bedroom. I placed a 27 x 40 snap frame in the middle of the main wall. She currently has Moana on display. Which is appropriate considering the mural is an underwater scene. There is a post here with pictures and such if your interested. I believe it is in the life thread???  I also collect Monsters, UFOS, and Dames in distress. Though this part of my collection is mainly budget driven, I have some pretty cool stuff if I do say so myself. Like a 1960R of King Kong from Argentina, beautiful red white and black palette. Or some original B & W stills from films like Godzilla, Kong,  Them!, or Saucermen. This part of my collection I have mostly horded away and quietly collected.

So, welcome back. Who knows, maybe I will post a little more in the near future.

Thanks for sharing. Great you're involving your daughter. My STRONG advice for you and everybody else on APF:

START A FB PAGE TO SHOW OFF YOUR STELLAR COLLECTION

It's free, easy to use, can post a zillion pics organized by album, peeps can post, etc. Nobody except T needs a stand-alone website now.  FB/social media sites have taken over.....

Mine is:

https://www.facebook.com/MoviePosterCollectors/

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:59 AM »
[quote author=TheSundanceKid link=topic=12107.msg222419#msg222419 date=1498725902
It's free, easy to use, can post a zillion pics organized by album, peeps can post, etc. Nobody except T needs a stand-alone website now.  FB/social media sites have taken over.....

Mine is:

https://www.facebook.com/MoviePosterCollectors/
[/quote]

I will checkout the site. I have the site for me, more so than sharing. While I have no problem sharing, it is really for my own viewing pleasure. I can accomplish this with Facebook but its not really my preference! I like the feel of something I own.

Plus the site Ed Shannon built is amazing. Mine will function in very much the same way using WordPress.

Now to look at your goodies!!!!

Happy collecting,
Chris
This Space For Rent!