Author Topic: Mel: Collecting Round 2.0 begins!  (Read 50682 times)

guest4955

Mel: Collecting Round 2.0 begins!
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:38:03 AM »
Hello friends, Romans, and fellow poster nerds! After a three year near-total break from the hobby, I’ve decided to launch Collecting Round 2.0, rejoin the forums, and start collecting again.

Let me re-introduce myself. I randomly walked into a movie poster store in Denver in March 2009 and immediately became obsessed with the hobby. Over the next five-and-a-half years – until Nov. 2014 - I spent most of my discretionary income on movie posters, prints, frames, linen-backing, and internet hosting fees for my two websites posternirvana.com (personal collection) and moviepostercollectors.com (educational site). Here's a pic from April 2014:

With all this crazy spending I was stone-cold broke often. I’ll never forget one time I was on a date with my new girlfriend in 2011 and both my debit and credit cards were declined. I rather stupidly confessed my poster mania and she told me “it’s me or the posters!” We broke up soon afterward and the poster craze continued unabated. (See this recent WP article about dating while broke!)

I bought 1900 movie posters and prints and 100 frames from 2009-2014, spending countless hours – sometimes several hours daily – poring through the endless auctions on eBay and the independent auction sites. Meanwhile, I probably posted five times a day on MPF and APF as Dread_Pirate_Mel, generally enjoying myself – and personally meeting several APF members - but garnering several enemies, including the infamous Tom Loce.  He even filed a bar complaint against me! But it went nowhere.

I left APF in June 2014 after a blow-up over “outing” a rare ET poster auction. (In Round 2, I’ll follow the current APF rule about “outing” of course.) I didn’t glance at any of the forums again for almost three years until last month.

After a six-year fight with Adam I’ve decided I owe him an apology. It all started in 2011 when on a Bond forum I questioned whether he actually owned a Bond print he was selling. That was thoughtless and inexcusable. I was just being a F-ing poster nerd! He ultimately sold it for 1000+ pounds but he claimed – and claims – I ruined his reputation. I don’t agree but still owe him an apology.

Making a very long and complex tale as short as possible, in Dec 2014 I suffered a brain injury. My walking/motion, speech, and sleep have severely degraded. I had to drop out of the practice of law in Jan. 2016 and go on disability and move from DC to Charlotte NC to be closer to family.

To help pay my medical expenses I consigned 99% of my collection to EMP. They sold all my posters for $137K – equalling what I’d paid for them (inc. shipping costs and linenbacking 20+ posters) - and I netted $94K after EMP commissions. I  have nothing but praise for EMP. They sold my posters for significantly more than I could have gotten on eBay. They saved me countless hours as well. They even flew an EMP employee in May 2015 to DC in June 2015 to pack/ship my final 500 posters. The overall commission rate was a very fair 30%. These were my top $ sellers:

I’m telling all this not to elicit pity but as a warning to preserve and enjoy your health and not to obsess too much about this hobby! The only path forward for me is to hang in there and tough it out and enjoy my “Life 2.0” as much as possible. I’ve decided to spend some of my remaining net to build a relatively small “3-Star” collection, ha-ha!

By the end of  2015 I was down to 19 posters out of 1900 bought in Round 1. These were the “survivors”:

I didn’t buy any other posters until April 2017.  I checked out T’s site to peruse the new 2015-17 posters. So far I’ve rounded up these:

My new frame collection – I gave away most of my frames when I moved from DC - is posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MoviePosterCollectors/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1938634233087177

Here are my faves:

800 pictures of my 2009-2014 DC frame collection are here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MoviePosterCollectors/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1936000636683870

I’ve rebuilt moviepostercollectors.com as moviepostercollectors.guide to help the hobby. More on that later.

‘Nuff said! Thanks for reading through the longest intro in APF history. I look forward to reconnecting with my old APF pals and meeting new pals here!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
Re: Mel: Collecting Round 2.0 begins!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:34:29 AM »
Great re-intro... I think as for the poster collecting community, your passion has been missed.

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
 welcome1 back - enjoy your second coming. Ive only been collecting for two years and a member here for 18 months, so i missed you the first time around. Enjoyed looking through your framed collection, i have many of the same posters so we have similar taste it seems.

Enjoy the hunt

Damo
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »
Welcome back Mel!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:47:49 AM »
Wow, quite a story there, Mel.  I hope your recovery is going well.  Enjoy the forum and practice restrain.  This hobby should never be a priority, but a fun past time.  There are so many more important things in life.

Welcome back,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
Yes, welcome back Mel. Your energy has been missed. I can't work out a theme yet from your phoenix collection.

Mark

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »
Welcome back.  Didn't know you before, but couldn't help but catch references as I perused the forums.  Been collecting myself for 25 years or so.  Your poster-guide website is top-notch and saved me from buying an ET moon counterfeit.  Great site---hope you keep it up.  Enjoy your stay---and you're right, Loce's a d-bag.  Stay healthy!
-Brian

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »
 welcome1 back aboard, Mel.

Good to hear you're doing OK.  Very respectable of you to share your story here.

Impressive results from the mega consignment.  I think you made a good choice to consign all that stuff from round 1 and make a fresh start.

cheers
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:54:52 PM by Neo »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »
Welcome back fella.

Hope time and Life has afforded perspective, if that was indeed the thrust of your (great) re-intro.

Love the Walk the Line poster.

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 07:39:54 PM »
You always had a way with a story, Mel,  glad to see you're back!  I hope your health is improving.

And that Sullivan's Travels poster is a pure knock-out!   bed1
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:33:28 PM by Starling »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 07:48:31 PM »
Hey Mel great to have you back. Take care and talk to you down the road.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:24 AM »
Welcome back Mel. I hope that you are and continue to recover.

Good luck with collecting round 2.0 and look forward to seeing some good posts from you in the future. I know first hand what it is like to have to part with portions of the collection to cover life's curve balls. I hope you have the chance to replace the most prized that were sold and look forward to seeing any additions you do make going forward.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 02:26:35 AM »
Zowie! The Dread Pirate Mel! You are somewhat of a legend around here. Welcome back. I have heard amazing things about your (previous) collection and often wondered WHY you gave it all up and sold everything (and deleted the photos on your posts so us newbies couldn't see them and drool...). I must have just missed you by a few months. I joined in January 2015. I am sorry to hear about your brain injury---jeepers! --but it sounds as if you are recovering nicely---and with such enthusiasm. I am glad the legend has been reborn. I look forward to seeing you on here now that you are B-A-C-K!

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 02:35:23 AM »
Welcome back, Mel! I missed your posts and it's good to see you back again. Sorry to hear about your health problems, I hope you're doing ok and this hobby of pretty paper is bringing you smiles.

guest4955

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 03:47:24 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll try to restore some of my best images from Round 1.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
Welcome back Mel. To echo others, I'm sorry to hear about your injury and I wish you a speedy recovery (is it something that you will totally recover from eventually?)

It looks like your collection 2.0 is off to a good start anyway.

My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »
And Welcome back here too Mel, take it easy and don't end up in a financial hole.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

guest4955

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 01:54:46 AM »
..... I have heard amazing things about your (previous) collection and often wondered WHY you gave it all up and sold everything (and deleted the photos on your posts so us newbies couldn't see them and drool...).

Let me assure you I did not delete my images to harm the forum. In Round 1, I hosted 90% of posted images on my personal website posternirvana.com and 10% on Photobucket. As you can see, hosting on my own site allowed - and allows -  me to post much larger images:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9215.msg221061.html#msg221061

But operating and updating my own site was very cumbersome. In May 2014 I opened a page on Facebook to host my personal collection and other image showcases:

https://www.facebook.com/MoviePosterCollectors/

My web hosting contract ran out June 13, 2014, coincidentally just days after I left APF. I didn't want to spend $100 a year just to preserve my images on APF so the site and its images disappeared.

It was a pretty cool site. You can see the archived version here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140210142443/http://posternirvana.com/Main/Home.html

Like I said I'm doing my best to repost my best images from Round 1. Today I probably uploaded 200 images and linked to a thousand more.

guest4955

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 02:04:23 AM »
Welcome back Mel. To echo others, I'm sorry to hear about your injury and I wish you a speedy recovery (is it something that you will totally recover from eventually?)

No, unfortunately. I consulted the top doctor/expert in the world on my particular brain syndrome in 2015. I went to the Mayo Clinic for four days in 2016. I've had 5 freaking head MRIs. Nothing has really helped.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »
Welcome back Mel.
Good to have you on the forums, and wish you continued betterment in your personal life.

Sean
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 12:25:23 AM »
Wow, Mel, really great to see you back here! Sorry your world was turned upside down. All the best in your recovery. Like a member mentioned, your passion for collecting was greatly missed. This forum, from when you joined in the very first days of APF till when you left, your posts (in the top few members in quantity)  generated really high highs and deep lows(!). APF stats - 'people online' records broken at times (though that was during the lows!). You've always said what you thought and were quite open about yourself, rather than keeping a quiet profile like most of us. You are sounding the same with the same collecting passion as before. I suspect we will be all taken along for another rollercoaster ride for Mel 2.0. I look forward to your next quizzes and, dare I say, poems, haha.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 03:51:19 AM »
Welcome back Mel. I haven't been around much myself. Busy life. I hope all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
Good to see you back posting Mel! I am very sorry to hear about your injury. Looking forward to checking out your collection 2.0!

Best regards,
Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

guest4955

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
Howdy Conor, Steve, Sea, Paul, Ed, and all others, good to "meet" you again!

I'm image-posting addicted in Round 2, to wit:

guest4955

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
I meant to mention in my intro that I strongly encourage you to buy short-term and long-term disability insurance:

I never thought I would have health problems, so I didn't. Very fortunately for me, unbeknownst to me, as an employee of the US gov, I was automatically covered by its relatively-generous LTD program. It saved me financially. I'd be on welfare and/or dependent on my relatives without it. Don't make my mistake....