Author Topic: Collecting Posters From Movies You Haven't Seen  (Read 17816 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Collecting Posters From Movies You Haven't Seen
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:04:48 PM »
Collecting posters without watching the movies is ridiculous, imo.  This hobby was not born in a vacuum.  It only exists because of its connection to movies.  You love movies, then you love posters, not the other way around.  I wasn't aware Mel didn't love movies, or at least had not seen the source of the posters he collected.  I get a lot of posters for free, but if I buy something, you can be sure I know why I buy it and the movie it advertizes.

Someone said "The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long."  This is so true.  Mel tried to do so much so quickly.  The layout of his posters in his apartment, to the point where you can't even breathe anymore, posters in the shower, the websites, rough interactions with forum members, on the phone too apparently, Mel getting upset if someone dares to disagree with him, lots of wrong info thrown around, some great stuff too to be sure, mainly the result of someone who is trying very hard, too hard, and eventually quits because he is pushed into a corner.  I think there is a word for that in psychology.  Someone who goes to extremes without knowing what he's in for and then throws it all away when facing adversity.

And I won't even talk about him removing all content from the forum upon his departure.

I think Mel needs some stability in his life and he won't find it in a brittle little hobby like ours.  I wish him the best.

T
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:23:37 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Collecting Posters From Movies You Haven't Seen
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
Collecting posters without watching the movies is ridiculous, imo.  This hobby was not born in a vacuum.  It only exists because of its connection to movies.  You love movies, then you love posters, not the other way around.  
We're at opposite ends of the spectrum here buddy.  I think, therefore, I am ridiculous!   bed1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
well get this.... I havent been to a theatre since 2010 and that was only because my power was out for four or five days, watched Toy Story 3D. and before that it was a couple years. and yes I am odd enough to admit that.

I have a lot of catching up to do

Nah...films and posters stopped being awesome in 1958 so you ain't missing anything
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
I'd add a few (maybe a couple of) decades, but almost what he said :)

But as to what T says, I have some posters for films that i haven't seen, BUT they are films I want to see, and I am reasonably sure I will enjoy.
But no matter how great the art, if I have seen a film and don't care for it, I wouldn't own the poster.

for me, collecting posters without loving the films they represent is like collecting bookshelves and leaving them empty. (or something like that) - you are missing the BEST PART!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »
et tu, Ari? 

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
Ok just to sidetrack this thread even more check out the Canadian poster below.  It has a stamp from North Bay Ontario which is basically a small town up north, where either 1-you were unfortunate to be born in or 2- you pass through on your way wayyy up north.  The fact that I got my hands on a Canadian printed poster, not a US designed one which they just use for Canada like all the others, no less it being from North Bay, makes me happy.  First off as a historical "Canadiana" piece, but the design, the colours, the subject matter, is just gravy.  Have I seen "We dive at dawn", do I know who Eric Portman or John Mills is?  Resounding fucking no.  Maybe, if i come across the movie it would peak my interest, but I eat this sh*t up as it is, and it doesn't take away any part of my claim to the hobby.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:47:36 PM by Crazy Vick »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 09:49:53 PM »
We're at opposite ends of the spectrum here buddy.  I think, therefore, I am ridiculous!   bed1

This is totally foreign to me.  I love movies first and foremost, and collecting posters is an extension of that.  The wife and I see on average about 200 new movies a year, 70 in the theaters and the rest on demand.  During awards season, we sometimes see 5 movies a week in the theaters.  I collect posters because they remind me of a movie I enjoyed.  I haven't seen many movies pre-1940, so I won't be collecting that, because there is no connection.  I honestly don't understand why anyone would collect posters for movies they haven't seen.  What's the point?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »
doesn't know who John Mills is
doesn't know who Eric Portman is...

hitself

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
doesn't know who John Mills is
doesn't know who Eric Portman is...
 hitself
I do now, after purchasing the poster, when I had time to read up. Either way, you are missing the point. 

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:59:30 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KnGo6Qm0Wt8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KnGo6Qm0Wt8</a>

;D

You have put it best.

Mirosae

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 03:42:24 AM »
I honestly don't understand why anyone would collect posters for movies they haven't seen.  What's the point?

T

I could answer that..if I may... I have bought two posters from films I have never seen, probably never will. Cannot find any of those two films elsewhere in Europe, God knows I've tried. Bought them because they are films by directors a/o actors/ who I  like with an artwork that speaks to me of many films I have watched, enjoyed and love with them in it. One is from a 30s film with the incredible Kay Francis. Another is a poster from the 40s a film from the one and only director Mitchell Leisen.  Must have for me. click.  :)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:47 AM »
Well, I collect posters related to the films I love, but like anything else, I am not a fanatic.

For example, the poster in my icon is from a 'lost' silent of the early 20's.  I obviously haven't seen it, but the image is one of my favorites.

On the other side of the coin, there are many movies I enjoy where the poster leaves me cold.  I don't buy those posters, nor would I buy a poster simply because the film was popular. 
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
I assume a fair number of people collect posters either because they represent films they enjoy or they are aesthetically pleasing.  In the best of circumstances a poster ticks both columns.

How else can one explain Thierry's Bieber posters beyond them being visually appealing to him?   :-*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:59:13 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
I assume a fair number of people collector posters either because they represent films they enjoy or they are aesthetically pleasing.  In the best of circumstances a poster ticks both columns.

How else can one explain Thierry's Bieber posters beyond them being visually appealing to him?   :-*

Same reason I have an Ishtar poster.  It's not bad looking, but I keep using it as a joke.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »
Like I said, I get A LOT of posters for free.  And no, I am not selling them.  Not now.  Not ever.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 01:49:03 PM »
I could answer that..if I may... I have bought two posters from films I have never seen, probably never will. Cannot find any of those two films elsewhere in Europe, God knows I've tried. Bought them because they are films by directors a/o actors/ who I  like with an artwork that speaks to me of many films I have watched, enjoyed and love with them in it. One is from a 30s film with the incredible Kay Francis. Another is a poster from the 40s a film from the one and only director Mitchell Leisen.  Must have for me. click.  :)

I understand that, Rosa, but at least you made the attempt to find and watch those movies.  You got the posters and realized that their connection to specific movies might make you enjoy the posters more.  Or less ;)  Same with Jay, who obviously will have trouble finding that obscure 20s flick.  What I don't get is buying posters for movies that can easily be found and not caring about seeing those movies.   You're missing half the fun.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 02:19:58 PM »
The poster has failed to do its job if it doesn't make you want to see the movie.

That said, I also fall into the category of am unlikely to ever see some of what I collect, but to me it doesn't matter.  Good art is good art and I refuse to limit my appreciation of it by denying it to myself because the movie it's promoting is a turkey or even MIA.  I do look deeper into a film when I'm struck by the poster, that's got to sort of count.  If it turns out I don't want to waste n minutes of my life slogging through it, oh well, I'm still happy to enjoy the poster.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »

I feel the same way.  Take for example my poster for The Golden Arrow.  The film isn't good.  Bette Davis is just ok in it.  BUTBUTBUT, the portrait of her, a star and actress I love, make up for this a great deal :)  So I can understand owning a poster for a movie you don't like or a movie you haven't seen, if the art and the actor makes up for it!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »
I feel the same way.  Take for example my poster for The Golden Arrow.  The film isn't good.  Bette Davis is just ok in it.  BUTBUTBUT, the portrait of her, a star and actress I love, make up for this a great deal :)  So I can understand owning a poster for a movie you don't like or a movie you haven't seen, if the art and the actor makes up for it!

+1  ;D

What you said here, Brian! The art, actor (especially if known AND liked) can all be real factors in going for or getting a poster for a film that may not have been seen (or that hasnt been available to be seen in many decades, or if not ever issued on dvd or blu ray).

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
Thinking about that.  If we follow T's advice, London After Midnight becomes a $2 fish wrapping ;D
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »
Again, if you cannot see the movie because it doesn't exist, it's obviously a different issue.  But if you can, you should.  My opinion anyway.

T
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:38:13 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:25 PM »
I do now, after purchasing the poster, when I had time to read up. Either way, you are missing the point. 

no I didn't miss the point. I was singularly commenting on that one aspect of your post
 moron1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
T as the son and grandson of art dealers, you should be able to understand that poster collecting is the same as collecting any objet d'art

it doesn't require prior knowledge of the material (Vick is the attendant example in this thread) nor does it require anything else other than appreciation for the medium
I have quite a few posters for which I have never seen the movie (however, they are a minority in my collection by many)

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
T as the son and grandson of art dealers, you should be able to understand that poster collecting is the same as collecting any objet d'art

it doesn't require prior knowledge of the material (Vick is the attendant example in this thread) nor does it require anything else other than appreciation for the medium
I have quite a few posters for which I have never seen the movie (however, they are a minority in my collection by many)

I completely disagree.  Fine art is subjective, movie posters are not.

T
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:18:48 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »
art doesn't have to be an easel painting to be art you snob.

you have illustrators (like for instance, Struzan)
ad artists, street artists, people who work in glass, pottery.. art is all around you. sometimes you can't buy the physical art and the artists sell prints (like Lautrec)

but it's all art

you freaking snob.!

-------