Author Topic: Original art and poster mock ups from 60's MGM films.  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Oliade677

• Beginner
Original art and poster mock ups from 60's MGM films.
« on: May 18, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »
Picked up the final pieces of a collection. The highlight is the Howard Terpning "Where Eagles Dare" piece. The Bob Peak piece and The Singing Nun are not too shabby either!

Published Art:

Ice Station Zebra - Color Proof or some type of high quality scan (Robert McCall)

The Liquidator - Final, published art (Bob Peak)

The Singing Nun - Final, published poster art (Unkown artist)

Where Eagles Dare - Final, published poster art (Howard Terpning)

Unpublished/Mock Art:

Butterfield 8 - Poster Mockup with embellishment (unknown artist)

Double Trouble - Unused Comic-style art

Golden Arrow - Unused final poster art (unknown illustrator)

Ice Station Zebra - Unused final poster art

Harum Scarum - Photostat Mockup

More than a Miracle - Poster mockup

More than a Miracle - Photostat poster mockup

Trouble With Girls - Photostat mockup

Unknown art

Unknown art (with color)

Where Eagles Dare - Preliminary Sketch

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:41:16 PM by Oliade677 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Original art and poster mock ups from 60's MGM films.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:00:45 PM »
Really nice pieces there, Adrian. Were these all gotten from the same, former owner/collector?

-Jeff

Offline Oliade677

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
Really nice pieces there, Adrian. Were these all gotten from the same, former owner/collector?

Thanks Erik, that is correct. These were the final pieces to go along with the others. All of the pieces were given to someone to cover a debt. This is probably the only reason they survived all this time, possibly headed to the dumpster otherwise.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »
Thanks Erik, that is correct. These were the final pieces to go along with the others. All of the pieces were given to someone to cover a debt. This is probably the only reason they survived all this time, possibly headed to the dumpster otherwise.

Good for you for being able to snag them. That would have been awful if these had ended up in the trash.

Congrats on adding them to your collection!  clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »

The Liquidator - Final, published art (Bob Peak)

Nice stuff, O677.  This a really nice collage.  Is it the original original, with the actual cutouts?

Offline Oliade677

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 03:22:59 PM »
Nice stuff, O677.  This a really nice collage.  Is it the original original, with the actual cutouts?

Sure is, original original with the actual cutouts. I spoke with his son Matthew a few days ago regarding the piece. He was amazed to hear it is still around.  :)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 07:27:25 PM »
Sure is, original original with the actual cutouts. I spoke with his son Matthew a few days ago regarding the piece. He was amazed to hear it is still around.  :)

Mr. Peak's son, eh? Right on.  cool1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 01:30:37 AM »
Hey Adrian, I see that none of the concepts or mock ups are signed. And not that they typically would be, tho some folks, whether they were designing posters or costumes for a film, would sign their sketch, as a matter of habit, I guess.

With these not being signed, does that make it any more challenging to prove their authenticity, if say you were going to sell or auction them, sometime in the future? Or was some kind of documentation included when you bought the lot?

-Jeff

Offline Oliade677

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:30:36 AM »
Hey Adrian, I see that none of the concepts or mock ups are signed. And not that they typically would be, tho some folks, whether they were designing posters or costumes for a film, would sign their sketch, as a matter of habit, I guess.

With these not being signed, does that make it any more challenging to prove their authenticity, if say you were going to sell or auction them, sometime in the future? Or was some kind of documentation included when you bought the lot?

Good question. Many of the pieces have notes or additional information on the back. Considering they were all acquired from the same source and the undeniability of the published, signed pieces, it is evident the collection and the pieces are authentic. Heck, there are a number of pieces that weren't known to exist.