Author Topic: Poster restoration/backing questions - two posters  (Read 4465 times)

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
Poster restoration/backing questions - two posters
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
Hey all,

I've not had anything restored/backed before so I'm interested in pricing, recommended restorers, etc.

I have a few posters which need restoration. The first poster is a rare UK one sheet poster for Twin Peaks, it has a big tear at the top which was repaired by the previous owner with tape. Unfortunately they put tape on both sides (see pictures).

The second is a french Le Samourai poster, backed in the 60s with craft paper, it has some small defects, a little hole in the middle (it has been previously folded) and some writing in red pen on the front (I can't believe someone did this!!).

The third is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANG-EM-HIGH-ORIGINAL-MOVIE-POSTER-27X41-LINEN-BACKED-CLINT-EASTWOOD-1968-LOOK-/401325701021?hash=item5d70e0379d:g:v-0AAOSwuMZZFPg4

Do you think I could get good results for these posters? Any idea on price/time?

Cheers,

- Calvin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:43:31 AM by shadytrade »
Duck you sucker!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Poster restoration/backing questions - two posters
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:34:05 PM »
Hey Calvin,

Im sure any good restorer could help you out with these posters. You should pick a couple of your choice, and send them these pics to get a quote for the repairs you are looking to have done. Maybe email Mario Cueva, Poster Mountain, Backing To the Future, 4th Cone etc to get some comparing prices.

How rare is the Twin Peaks poster? What makes this particular version so elusive?

With the HANG 'EM HIGH poster, do you own this copy? It looks to be for sale, still, on ebay. And someone did a crummy crunch-roll at the bottom, thats for sure. Grrrrr.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:46:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »
I wouldn't bother with any of them.
I'd wait for a nicer copy, which will eventually come around

linenbacking any of these will cost a stiff price, almost equal to their values and the Twin Peaks poster will never look good because oif all teh restoration it will need

just buy better condition posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »
this will probably be in Heritage's sale for July.
if they don't want it, it will be listed on my site. But I suspect HA will want it

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »
this will probably be in Heritage's sale for July.
if they don't want it, it will be listed on my site. But I suspect HA will want it

What price are you looking for that? The copy I managed to get was sold by a french collector who had lots to get rid of, I got about 4 other posters and this was sold to me with a good price. Unfortunately from the pictures I didn't see the red writing, otherwise I'd keep it.

How rare is the Twin Peaks poster? What makes this particular version so elusive?

I've had a hard time finding any Twin Peaks posters for a decent price, but the damage to this poster was worse than I had suspected. I think I will try to pick up an American copy instead. This UK 1sh is hard to find.

With the HANG 'EM HIGH poster, do you own this copy? It looks to be for sale, still, on ebay. And someone did a crummy crunch-roll at the bottom, thats for sure. Grrrrr.

No I don't own the HANG 'EM HIGH poster unfortunately, but I thought the price wasn't terrible, but the damage is awful!

Cheers,

- Calvin
Duck you sucker!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »
It's going to Heritage, Calvin. I'm just waiting for Grey to make his choices from what's been offered. I'm sure he'll be taking it.

but look, here's the deal.. Are you a young guy? If so, you have plenty of time in your life to get raw, unbacked copies of these posters - or at least Samourai & Hang 'em High. I have no idea about the TP poster.

these posters would either look awful even after restoration, cost a bunch of $ and why bother?

Linenbacking & restoration is not a cure-all. They won't come out looking like mint posters when done.

but there is a bigger key to my interest in this type of work - am I collecting 'paper' or 'linen'? You have a Frankenstein 1931 1sh or 1938 or 1947 and they look like these, should that be restored? You bet, but by a top restorer, who will charge beau coup dollars and the poster would increase in value by many thousands.

I see no purpose in restoring relatively low-price-better-posters that do not increase in value relative to your cost, or can be found unrestored without lots of difficulty

-------

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »

Sure thing - I'll keep an eye out there, I have some other posters from there already ;-)

Yes I'm a young guy, maybe you can guess my age! :P  >:D
Duck you sucker!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
Sure thing - I'll keep an eye out there, I have some other posters from there already ;-)

Yes I'm a young guy, maybe you can guess my age! :P  >:D

it's easy for an old bastard like me to tell you're younger because I see some impatience with wanting to get these posters. I've been collecting for more than 50 years and I am focused, but there are things I'm still waiting to find. Clearly if I'm waiting this long, they are true rarities, but I've waited this long, I don't lose anything by waiting longer.

in your 20s or 30s, you have many years of collecting the things you want ahead of you.

also, I am actually against linen & restoration. I have only a tiny % of my collection I bought that way (largely they are now oversized posters, as I have replaced almost all my backed posters with raw copies). I collect paper and don't let people convince you that museums linenback & restore their entire collections. Nothing could be further from the truth and quite often when they do mount a paper item, they do not restore anything, because museums only keep stuff for history and research. They may bag & board items, but restoration takes $ away from other activities, so such methods are used sparingly and for specific reasons

I collect paper and I think so does everyone else here.

>>>>>>>>ps: the less money you spend on linenbacking is more money you can spend on posters <<<<<<<<<<<

-------

guest4943

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:13:11 AM »
Shadytrade, I think you need to think about what your overall goals are, too.  If you think that spending the money to restore these posters will make you happy everytime you see it hanging up on your wall, I'd say go for it.  I myself am just getting into the hobby and am figuring a bunch of stuff out as I go, too! 

I'm still torn about restoration.  Is it possible to simply have a beat up poster linen backed to prevent more damage and frame it that way with the holes, rips, and all?  Does anyone have examples of various forms of framed pieces that have not been restored?  I see a ton of examples on this page of framed restored pieces, but don't think I have seen the beat up frame jobs. 

Edit: Obviously rarity definitely comes into play for these particular instances.  If none of these posters are that rare just try to snag a better version. 

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »
Agreed as above, wait for better copies to surface...

They will surely arrive.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
Shadytrade, I think you need to think about what your overall goals are, too.  If you think that spending the money to restore these posters will make you happy everytime you see it hanging up on your wall, I'd say go for it.  I myself am just getting into the hobby and am figuring a bunch of stuff out as I go, too! 

I'm still torn about restoration.  Is it possible to simply have a beat up poster linen backed to prevent more damage and frame it that way with the holes, rips, and all?  Does anyone have examples of various forms of framed pieces that have not been restored?  I see a ton of examples on this page of framed restored pieces, but don't think I have seen the beat up frame jobs. 

Edit: Obviously rarity definitely comes into play for these particular instances.  If none of these posters are that rare just try to snag a better version.

hey wavy, people have posters that are in danger of falling apart (breaking folds, brittle paper etc) backed without them being restored or retouched with paint. I have one that I had washed, de-acidified and backed only. I didnt want any of the small "battle scars" covered over, or repaired. The poster is from 1936 and from France, so the paper was more acidic and becoming very brittle. So I had it backed for conservation & preservation reasons only.

-Jeff

guest4943

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
hey wavy, people have posters that are in danger of falling apart (breaking folds, brittle paper etc) backed without them being restored or retouched with paint. I have one that I had washed, de-acidified and backed only. I didnt want any of the small "battle scars" covered over, or repaired. The poster is from 1936 and from France, so the paper was more acidic and becoming very brittle. So I had it backed for conservation & preservation reasons only.

Do you happen to have a picture of this?  I'm thinking of doing something along those lines with my Mummy's Curse poster but I'd like to see how it turned out with others!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:46:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff