Author Topic: May 2017  (Read 22827 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: May 2017
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 01:33:08 AM »
Hi Jeff - title card  :)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 01:34:22 AM »
Congrats, Chris.

'Tis beautious, for sure.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 04:57:24 AM »
Bloody hell, what a lovely skate park and a cracking setting.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 05:06:59 AM »
This arrived last week. 

It would normally have gone into the Bond thread but what the hell - this one goes into the May thread.

Another for the deranged completest, a military poster for Thunderball noted mainly for its duo tone and lack of any inspiration.  I really do not know why the military had special posters designed for films' showings.  There must have been places awash with spare posters without having to go the extra mile to redesign, and print.  Anyway..

Could anyone tell me what other military posters were created for the Bond series?  I have a Dr No (even more ugly) and have been reliably informed there is one for From Russia with Love (never seen it).  Cheers.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 03:42:28 PM »
Could anyone tell me what other military posters were created

distribution & regulations. Most likely a private company (like NSS or any of the film producers) could not lawfully distribute films to military bases as a matter of regulations

also, considering that military bases numbered in the high hundreds (or even low thousands) all over the globe, there would be a logistics issue, especially when a 'tent city base' would be taken down & moved to another location and this information is not shared publicly. Meanwhile, the military already has it's own distribution system for food, supplies & equipment. I will also bet that the military may not have paid the film companies to show the movies as part of a 'patriotism to our boys' issue.

There is a war movie with a submarine where you can see them swap movies with a destroyer via a cable between ships. I don't know how a private company would ever think of accomplishing this task.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 03:17:53 PM »
This arrived last week. 

It would normally have gone into the Bond thread but what the hell - this one goes into the May thread.

Another for the deranged completest, a military poster for Thunderball noted mainly for its duo tone and lack of any inspiration.  I really do not know why the military had special posters designed for films' showings.  There must have been places awash with spare posters without having to go the extra mile to redesign, and print.  Anyway..

Could anyone tell me what other military posters were created for the Bond series?  I have a Dr No (even more ugly) and have been reliably informed there is one for From Russia with Love (never seen it).  Cheers.

Looks in almost unused condition, there, Simon.

Congrats on the pickup.  thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:37:46 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »

I really do not know why the military had special posters designed for films' showings.  There must have been places awash with spare posters without having to go the extra mile to redesign, and print.

I made a mistake with the quote above, this is the question I was answering

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 03:47:32 AM »
Worry not fella.

I made the leap.

All the best.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »

A few recent grabs...

Cannibal Holocaust: A saw Bruce list this and I tried to grab it, but it went to high for me. Found a tri-folded copy with the samew '82 copyright year not long after and snagged it.

Raising Arizona

Killbots: The original title for Julie Corman's, 'Chopping Mall'

Chopping Mall

Mad Max: Fury Road (IMAX AMC mini)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 01:23:13 AM »
Mike, this looks to be for one of the Toxic Avenger movies? If so, is your poster from the first flick of the series?

Congrats on the pickup.  >:D

And Chris, cool to have both posters/alt poster for Chopping Mall/ Killbots

Any info on why the name was changed along with quite a different looking poster campaign?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:27:12 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 06:13:51 AM »
Thanks Jeff.
It's for the first Toxic Avenger.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
Jeff, if I recall correctly, Killbots was first released with that title and poster, and bombed.  The production company decided to re-release it under a different title (Chopping Mall), with a different ad campaign, both of which emphasized the more popular (at the time) slasher/horror angle instead of the sic-fi elements of the story, and the movie became a minor hit. 

And yes, that is the French 47X63 for Toxic Avenger, I remember seeing it all over Paris when I was a kid in the 1980s.  Love those silly tag lines (which translate as "More dangerous than the IRS" and "More efficient than Mr. Clean"!)...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
Thanks for that info, Benjamin, re Killbots and Chopping Mall. The first poster (Killbots) almost makes it look like a sci fi movie of some kind, with killer robots that have come to Earth to attack.

And what great translated tag lines on the TA poster. Ive never seen it. Is it worth a watch, with what looks like lots of campy, comic horror bits in it?

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff.
It's for the first Toxic Avenger.

Very cool, there, Mike.  cool1

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »
Jeff, I'm not sure how much I should recommend watching Toxic Avenger, but if you've never seen a Troma movie before, this one is as good as any other to get a sense of their rather peculiar "style", lol!  I think in general, their posters are better than the actual movies (just as was the case in the 1950s with AIP pictures!).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
Jeff, I'm not sure how much I should recommend watching Toxic Avenger, but if you've never seen a Troma movie before, this one is as good as any other to get a sense of their rather peculiar "style", lol!  I think in general, their posters are better than the actual movies (just as was the case in the 1950s with AIP pictures!).

That's more what I was meaning about it "worth" a one time watch, since I've never seen any Troma flicker before. And if I found it really bad, there's always the off/eject button. LOL.

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »
Just the two from me.

Never owned either of these and really happy to cross these off the list. Big fan of Star Wars growing up so couldn't turn this down.

Star Wars

Always wanted this poster. IMO it's the best Jaws poster around.
Jaws 2 (sunset style)

vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
Jollynice Marc, look in great condition too.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2017, 01:34:27 PM »
Congrats on the pickups, Marc.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2017, 10:54:50 PM »
Great Star Wars and Jaws 2 posters.  Condition is key, and these look perfect and Star Wars is uncut.

Just got this fun French poster from the 40s.  It's not like me to buy a poster for a movie I haven't seen, but I liked the design enough to go for it.

T
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:59:49 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »
nice poster, horrible film (second chorus)
In a 1968 interview, Astaire described this effort as "the worst film I ever made." Astaire admitted that he was attracted to the film by the opportunity to "dance-conduct this real swingin' outfit". In an interview shortly before his death, Shaw admitted this film put him off acting.
-Jay-

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2017, 08:11:53 AM »

Any info on why the name was changed along with quite a different looking poster campaign?

Jeff, Benjamin hit the nail on the head (thanks!). 'Chopping Mall' went on to become one of Concorde Pictures/New World Pictures (a Roger & Julie Corman co.) bigger cult hits, along with 'Slumber Party Massacre' and a few others.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2017, 06:35:02 PM »
Great Star Wars and Jaws 2 posters.  Condition is key, and these look perfect and Star Wars is uncut.

Just got this fun French poster from the 40s.  It's not like me to buy a poster for a movie I haven't seen, but I liked the design enough to go for it.

T

Love the full bleed, red color on this one.

Is this a later RR? Reason I ask is that it has no director or other production credits, just the actors (and Artie Shaw's orchestra). And I see that RAC was the distributor, rather than Paramount.

And here are a selection of other mid-1940's French posters from Paramount films that have both credits and the Paramount name and logo:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/paramount/tag/nation%253AFrance/tag/decade%253A1940s/tag/extra%253Afirst/archive.html

(RAC is also the shown distributor on the French 1P of Werewolf of London, rather than Universal, which also has been discussed as a possible RR)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:24:01 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
I don't know.  I didn't really research it, to be honest.  I saw the auction while driving my car  ;)  I now see that Bruce sold one 2 years ago as a 1947 first release.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)