Author Topic: History of Tri-fold vs. Fully Folded One Sheets?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
History of Tri-fold vs. Fully Folded One Sheets?
« on: April 26, 2017, 05:12:06 PM »

I'm looking at a purchasing a poster from the early 80's that I've only ever seen fully folded, but the one I'm looking at for sale is tri-folded.

Because I have no idea, would someone mind filling me in on why some one sheets differ in the folding? I'm guessing it has to do with different methods of different companies that printed the same posters, but that's only a guess.

Any help is appreciated!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: History of Tri-fold vs. Fully Folded One Sheets?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 05:37:45 PM »
I don't know about the original reasoning for distributing them tri-folded, but if I can't find something rolled then unused TF is probably the best to hope for.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »
I don't know about the original reasoning for distributing them tri-folded, but if I can't find something rolled then unused TF is probably the best to hope for.

Thanks, Matt. I agree, the less folds the better. I'm just curious as to why when fully folded dominated for so long, tri-fold found it's way into distribution.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
Hey Chris,

I found this paragraph on John Hazelton's site, interestingly enough. ;)

TRI-FOLD, TRI-FOLDED:
This term usually applies to standard 1-Sheet movie posters. Prior to 1990, the majority of 1-Sheets were machine folded at the printer, with one vertical and three horizontal folds. A tri-folded poster does not have the vertical fold. Tri-folded posters are scarce and more desirable than posters with the standard folds. For example, the iconic 1-sheet for Jaws occasionally turns up in tri-folded condition; these posters are vastly superior to ones with standard folds where the vertical fold line bisects Bruce the shark in a very distracting way. The same is true for the iconic 1-sheet for Taxi Driver, where the vertical fold goes right through the length of Robert DeNiro's image.

http://www.filmposters.com/poster-sizes.cfm

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »

Thanks, Jeff. Appreciate the additional info!  thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »
Sure thing, Chris. It wasnt much but a little factoid, re their being more scarce than full folded OS.

Maybe Rich can fill in some of the tri-fold history...

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »
I have a few tri folded 3 sheets.  They are a pain.  Can't store em rolled or folded.  Gotta be flat.  I feel like folding those fuckers in two all the time.  I guess they could all go in an 8 inches tube.  Damn you 1st world problems!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:48:33 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
there have been tri-folded posters forever. I've had 1920s, 30 & 50s posters tri-folded as well as 60s-70s-80s
I have no idea why they were done that way

also, I sort of agree with Vick, they can be a pain, but only because you don't have lots of them  done that way

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------