Author Topic: Favorite RECENT posters YOU OWN  (Read 6848 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Favorite RECENT posters YOU OWN
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
Recently purchased, my favs...

Kong: Skull Island bus shelter (Apocalypse Now style)

Beauty and the Beast International OS - I like that all the characters are represented on this one.  The only version with the bus shelter, but the main characters are much further away.

Colossal OS - The weirdest movie I've seen this year - Best poster of the year so far, imo

Guardians Vol 2 Japanese B1 - This one made me laugh

War for the Planet of the Apes bus shelter - To the point

Personal Shopper OS - Interesting flick and I like Kristen's work in French movies

Alien: Covenant - Best campaign of the year - 3 OS and one bus shelter

More later.

T

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:59:37 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Favorite RECENT posters
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »
Nice ones...the Alien Covenant poster of the wall is probably my favourite this year. A really good bit of design. Colossal is cool too.

Here are a few I've liked this year:

Japanese poster for Skull Island:

The Handmaiden one sheet (or was this 2016?):

Raw one sheet:

Free Fire one sheet:

Endless Poetry quad (bit garish perhaps, but I like it):

The Dark Tower:

The Void (this had a few nice posters, this one is by Akiko Stehrenberger):

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
Nice acquisitions there.  Is your Kong a B1 or B2?  I need to ask my guy for a B1, if he can find one.  I also need to get a copy of the Void.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »
I don't own that design for The Void (misunderstood this was just for acquisitions...do have the others though). I did email Akiko earlier to try and find out if it was printed as I haven't seen that one yet. Will update if she replies.

I found that Kong design in B1 size...it's in transit, hope it arrives safely.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:19:18 PM by Tob »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
Yeah, you need to own them and they need to be somewhat recent (the last 2 months).  I have 5-6 B1s on hold in Japan but I can't remember what they are.  I believe there are Pirates and Guardians finals, but no Kong, I think.

Regardless, nice batch.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »
Were he still with us, I wonder what Bob Peak would have thought about the Kong: Skull Island poster's heavy borrowing of his look and design elements.  dontknow.gif
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:22:12 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »
It's obviously an homage, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »
I didnt say there was anything wrong with it. I was wondering what he might think about it, since it is an homage.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »
Brando was a little bit of a beast himself, so I think it's appropriate.

;D

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
Brando was a little bit of a beast himself, so I think it's appropriate.

;D

T

So true. By the time of APOC NOW, he certainly had the growing, beastly girth thing going.... so it's a good fit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:06:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
That's an interesting homage/rip-off.  It's too bad Skull Island is such a POS movie.  It was apparently written by a series of computer programs which were then mushed into a single 'script' by a final computer program.  I so wanted to like it, but...
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
TOB, I had never seen that Handmaiden one-sheet, it's a beauty, appropriately so for such a gorgeously shot movie.  I don't collect any recent posters (my [totally arbitrary] cut off line is late 1980s), but some of the ones in this thread almost make me want to consider expanding the scope of my collection. thumbsup.gif

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
I was pre 80's myself until I joined this forum, now I have a few hundred modern posters... :-\

Mind I looked at it like this, I still like modern films, and I'm a film fan first and foremost, so why not... plus when I don't have much money to spend on old posters, I buy some new ones which are cheap, so it's all good stuff.   :)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 01:03:22 PM »
TOB, I had never seen that Handmaiden one-sheet, it's a beauty, appropriately so for such a gorgeously shot movie.  I don't collect any recent posters (my [totally arbitrary] cut off line is late 1980s), but some of the ones in this thread almost make me want to consider expanding the scope of my collection. thumbsup.gif

I tend to also gravitate to older material, as Im not a fan of photo-based posters or ones where photos have been cut and pasted together, but have always favored created artwork on posters. I have a number of 1980s+ OS that I got from work, years ago (before I was actively collecting) and literally rescued from the "to be thrown away" pile, and have also snagged posters for films I like that are more recent, or that have interesting/cool artwork. (with even the occasional photo-based poster like a couple I posted recently).

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »
I still like modern films, and I'm a film fan first and foremost, so why not...

Exactly it.  I collect everything.  Sole prerogative is that I have to have seen the movie to collect the poster, which pretty much cuts everything prior to 1940.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 04:09:08 AM »
I don't own that design for The Void (misunderstood this was just for acquisitions...do have the others though). I did email Akiko earlier to try and find out if it was printed as I haven't seen that one yet. Will update if she replies.

I found that Kong design in B1 size...it's in transit, hope it arrives safely.

As someone trying to collect Akiko's output, I'd love to hear if her poster for The Void was printed. Very cool design.

In the meantime, I did find this link to the distributor selling the main US theatrical one-sheet (only shipping to the US unfortunately): http://screenmediafilms.net/shop/product/details/4697/the-void-official-poster-limited?r=

Also, love the Japanese Kong (I haven't been able to track one of those down yet) and Colossal, which was designed by Tim Biskup, whose website and Insta feed have a load of his (non-movie poster) art.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 01:15:51 AM »
I really like The Handmaiden poster, Tob.

Beautiful.

Do you own a copy?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:22:51 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 05:37:56 AM »

Hi Jeff, yeah, I picked one up, couldn't resist it.

Thanks! Yes, The Handmaiden is a beautiful film, I really enjoyed it. I loosely collect posters for Park Chan-wook's films and this is probably my favourite poster for a film of his.

As someone trying to collect Akiko's output, I'd love to hear if her poster for The Void was printed. Very cool design.

In the meantime, I did find this link to the distributor selling the main US theatrical one-sheet (only shipping to the US unfortunately): http://screenmediafilms.net/shop/product/details/4697/the-void-official-poster-limited?r=

I'll get back to you when I hear from Akiko. I like that US one sheet for The Void, I've asked a US buddy for help with that. It had some nice other designs for it too from other artists.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 01:22:46 PM »
Not a theatrical, but my only Mondo - an advance "wilding" graphic poster for ParaNorman. Found framed a few days ago in a thrift/second hand store. The imagery is really continuing to grow on me.

Art by Graham Erwin.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:59:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
Exactly it.  I collect everything.  Sole prerogative is that I have to have seen the movie to collect the poster, which pretty much cuts everything prior to 1940.

T

Have you really seen every movie for every poster you have?!  That's just astounding!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 10:57:57 PM »
I got a lot of posters for free, mostly modern stuff from friends at studios.  Still do.  So in that case, no.  But for the posters that I buy, absolutely.  A poster for a movie I haven't seen means nothing to me.  I simply don't care for it. 

Also, I used to see a lot of movies growing up.  I kept a journal and there was a year, 85 maybe, where I saw close to 400 movies at the theaters.  Now I'm probably down to 30 a year :(  You know, kids, nanny and all...  Seeing a movie with dinner cost about $200.  It kind of sucks when you see a bad flick, so rottentomatoes is my best friend.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 11:05:27 PM »
That's still pretty damned amazing.  I have posters still that I kept as part of my core collection simply because I love the movie so much, not because the poster itself is anything special. 

Jeanie sent over a fellow that inquired on MPA about the Amelie B1 (the red one), and when I looked at the pictures he was asking about, it made me go back and confirm that I had kept that poster. In that instance, I like the movie as much as the poster.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 12:38:32 AM »
That one for Paranorman is cool.  It works pretty well, with the melting zombies, sickly colors, and pensive face of Norman (I assume his name is).  Kinda makes me want to see what it's all about.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 01:31:26 AM »
That one for Paranorman is cool.  It works pretty well, with the melting zombies, sickly colors, and pensive face of Norman (I assume his name is).  Kinda makes me want to see what it's all about.

Same here, Brandon.

This advance wilding, had I seen it posted out on a street or fence/wall somewhere, back in 2012, likely would have made me want to check the flick out, too. And I enjoy animated movies, especially if the animation is well done.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:49:18 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
I liked Paranorman. My daughters and I watched it together. Totally enjoyable for adults as well.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.