Author Topic: My NEW! Thai poster collection....  (Read 40195 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: My NEW! Thai poster collection....
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
Good luck in the search.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »
Good luck in the search.  thumbsup.gif

Thanks! Jeff, I'll need every bit of luck I can get for sure, but, for now I'm truly happy just to own part of this amazing poster :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
John, Im guessing that, originally, your 2 sheet size, Game of Death poster was printed on a single sheet of paper? If so, that means that someone had to literally cut the poster in half? I wonder why they would do that? Unless cutting it into 2 posters made it cheaper in the long run?

Still, it's a bummer  :'(

Here's hoping u can locate the other half.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:29:32 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2017, 03:21:57 AM »
John, Im guessing that, originally, your 2 sheet size, Game of Death poster was printed on a single sheet of paper? If so, that means that someone had to literally cut the poster in half? I wonder why they would do that? Unless cutting it into 2 posters made it cheaper in the long run?

Still, it's a bummer  :'(

Here's hoping u can locate the other half.

No I don't think so Jeff, I'm not 100% so don't take my word as definite but, I think this is very much another Thailand thing, I don't believe the poster has been cut at all, I think this is just how these two sheets are done/made in Thailand (in two separate parts) this is why I'm happy just to own part of this poster, of course if someone offered me the left part for a decent price I'd snap it up in an instant, but, I still appreciate what I have of this (IMO) great! poster.

From what I've seen of these two sheet posters most seem to end up separate, but, I have also seen the odd two sheet where both parts are for sale but they are in still in two parts, so as I say I'm fairly sure this is how they are made, why though I truly don't know, your guess is as good as mine, I think it's a crazy way of doing it, but, I'm sure there's some reason behind it. :)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2017, 03:33:32 AM »
@Jeff

Here you go, here is a bit of info taken from Eddie's (thanks! again Eddie thumbsup.gif) Film On Paper website about another Thai 2 sheet poster (Apocalypse Now):

"The two sides of the poster were printed separately and then joined together once they were displayed at cinemas. I tried my best to join them together with Photoshop but it’s not that easy to get them to match."

So there you have it Jeff, I think it's very much the same thing with my Game of Death poster ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »
Thanks again, John.

Ed is a font of information, as always .  cheers
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:22:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2017, 03:47:16 AM »
Thanks again, John.

Ed is a font of information, as always .  cheers

No worries Jeff :)

To be honest with you the question I'd be asking more than anything is why these two sheet Thai posters are separated to begin with and not always kept together? this question is the one that puzzles me the most of all?

All I can come up with is "maybe" that when these two sheet posters were made and sent out to be pinned up somewhere "maybe" many places only had enough room/space to display one half of the poster, I can't think of any other reason why there's so many of these two sheet Thai posters around with just one half of the poster available to buy.

No matter how you look at it there's no getting away from the fact that it does seem a little odd how it all works with these two sheet type posters :-\

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »
Or maybe by separating the 2 halves, theaters were getting double the advertising in 2 locations, from one poster. (More bang for the buck).

Maybe Pea might know the reason. Ive sent her a PM.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 01:13:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
Or maybe by separating the 2 halves, theaters were getting double the advertising in 2 locations, from one poster. (More bang for the buck).

Maybe Pea might know the reason. Ive sent her a PM.

Who knows Jeff, could well be.

I did mention it to Pea myself, can't remember exactly what she said, but, think it may have been something to do with the artist involved and who was promoting the film or something along those lines.

Personally I'm surprised there would ever be a good/genuine reason for splitting the two parts up as most of these two sheet posters would not display to well with only one part of the poster as it's usually totally obvious that there should be another part as half of the film title may be missing or half of someone's head/face is missing etc. with ones that obvious I would almost certainly pass on.

But, I feel the Game of Death poster does not suffer to much on the part I have as the full film title is shown plus it's not immediately obvious it's only one part of a poster as it is with some two sheet posters I've seen.

At the end of the day I had a decision to make and that was that hand on heart I know it's an awful long shot that I'll ever come across the full two sheet poster, so I had to decide whether I'd be happy just to own some part of this particular poster, and as I like the artwork so much and I don't know of any other poster that shows similar artwork of Game of Death I personally felt the pros' far outweighed any con's in buying this poster as it is :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
Maybe if some of our Thai poster experts weigh in, we will learn the reason for certain. Here's hoping.  prayer.gif  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:25:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
Maybe if some of our Thai poster experts weigh in, we will learn the reason for certain. Here's hoping.  prayer.gif  :)

Yes, fingers firmly crossed Jeff ;D

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:47 AM »
Hey! guys,

Added some new posters to my Thai collection today! 8)

Here we have Thai posters for two classic films, they are "Bonnie & Clyde" and "The Long Good Friday" although I obviously like both posters I have to say that without doubt the Bonnie & Clyde poster is now one of if not my overall favourite Thai posters I've bought so far.... the artwork IMO is fantastic, I've also been informed by a very reliable source that this is another very rare and pretty scarce Thai poster and it's certainly the oldest one I currently own, apart from some slight water damage the poster is a real treat and displays really well. Anyway, hope you all like both posters.  cheers

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »
Wow! Those have got to be super rare---especially BONNIE AND CLYDE. If it's an original release, that has to be 50 years old. Too bad there is that little bit of water staining in the lower right corner---but really, how many copies of that can have survived? Bravo.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »
Wow! Those have got to be super rare---especially BONNIE AND CLYDE. If it's an original release, that has to be 50 years old. Too bad there is that little bit of water staining in the lower right corner---but really, how many copies of that can have survived? Bravo.

Hey! GoGo, nice to hear from you mate thumbsup.gif

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there GoGo I agree with you 100% that you have to stop and wonder and ask yourself how many of these Thai Bonnie & Clyde posters have even survived, this was very much in my thinking when deciding whether the water damage was enough to put me off, the simple (and easy) answer for me was certainly NOT! the water damage does not hurt/touch the amazing artwork in any way and to me that's all that matters, I'm more than happy to live with a little water damage in the corner if it means I get to own such a nice poster. :)

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »
The Bonnie & Clyde is fantastic.

Mark

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 09:59:47 AM »
The Bonnie & Clyde is fantastic.

Mark

Truly appreciate that Mark, Thank You!

I thought/hoped that this Bonnie & Clyde poster would be popular on these forums, glad you like it. 8)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
You're making me itchy to buy Thai posters!

I've not seen either of those before. Excellent stuff, particularly as Long Good Friday is a great film with a bit of a shortage of great posters.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2017, 10:51:43 AM »
You're making me itchy to buy Thai posters!

I've not seen either of those before. Excellent stuff, particularly as Long Good Friday is a great film with a bit of a shortage of great posters.

cheers Tob.

This is very much what got me into collecting Thai posters, I more or less stumbled across Thai posters only a couple of months back and noticed one or two had some really unique and excellent artwork, this got me to start looking into Thai posters much more and since then I have found lots of Thai posters where the artwork is (IMO) better than any other poster artwork for quite a lot of films.

Pleased you like the poster for "The Long Good Friday" a really cool/colourful poster for sure, I'd seen this one around a couple of times on different websites so I knew about this one, but, the Bonnie & Clyde poster I only found out about a week or so ago and I feel "very" lucky to have found it. :)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
Here's another poster, this time it's for the John Woo film "Bullet in the Head" I've always enjoyed John Woo films especially his Hong Kong films which for me are easily his best (The Killer, Hard Boiled etc.) and Bullet in the Head is easily near the top of the list of his Hong Kong films, there are few tiny nicks to the white border on this poster but nothing major, once again this Thai poster is by far the best poster I've seen for the film and I would imagine/guess any fan of this film would appreciate the artwork on this poster. :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2017, 02:11:38 AM »
John, I'm really liking the Bonnie & Clyde poster. clap clap

Whats a great score. Was this an eBay or dealer find?

And those slight water marks in the lower, right corner give it character. (and can also easily be dealt with if wanted).  :)

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2017, 02:38:03 AM »
John, I'm really liking the Bonnie & Clyde poster. clap clap

Whats a great score. Was this an eBay or dealer find?

And those slight water marks in the lower, right corner give it character. (and can also easily be dealt with if wanted).  :)

Hey! Jeff, glad you like the Bonnie and Clyde Thai poster, I'm thrilled that I found it, I feel it's one of the best posters I own, the poster was a dealer find.

As for the water marks I did think when I bought the poster that it was something that could possibly be fixed, but, I doubt I would ever do this, the water marks don't really bother me that much as they don't mess with the main artwork in any way and my gut-feeling tells me that I should leave well alone and keep the poster as it is. :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »
I agree, John. The water staining is minimal and having that washed off and removed, likely would also mean i might have to be backed.

I think it looks totally fine, as is, too. Congrats again, on getting this one.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2017, 03:02:26 AM »
I agree, John. The water staining is minimal and having that washed off and removed, likely would also mean i might have to be backed.

I think it looks totally fine, as is, too. Congrats again, on getting this one.

cheers Jeff.

While I have read up on linen backing quite a bit and poster restoration etc. I still have never been tempted enough to do this for any of my poster collection, right now I'd probably say that the only time I could ever see me trying out poster restoration is if I owned a poster that was totally falling apart or something and in major trouble, other than that I don't see me ever using this type of service as I much prefer to leave well alone whenever possible. :)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2020, 08:15:20 AM »
Been a long time since I needed to update this thread, but, today I added a new poster to my Thai collection so thought I'd share it on here.

This one was tricky to find, and kind of completes a mini trilogy for me of horror icons, I already had the Thai posters in my collection for Halloween (Myers) and ANOES (Freddy), now I've added this Friday the 13th (Jason) poster to the collection (artwork by Tongdee).

As many of you will no doubt know many Thai posters are mostly on thin paper, well, this Friday the 13th is on especially thin paper which may have something to do with it being trickier to find, would tear "very" easily if not careful or was handled to much etc.  (maybe not as many have survived as some of the other Thai horror posters which appear for sale far more often, who knows?) either way delighted to find one and very pleased with the condition. thumbsup.gif

Sorry! about the picture being the wrong way round, was not uploaded that way.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:17:31 AM by Test1 »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2020, 09:52:18 AM »
Nice one, John. I also have a Thai F13 poster and agree about the paper, mine is very thin (and quite brittle too). Yours looks in much better shape. The art is good fun.