Author Topic: From my vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collection  (Read 21529 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: From my vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collection
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »
Rich, thanks for clarifying the Brown/Kallis authorship on CFBL posters.  I believe Brown also did the 3-sheet and the insert for that movie besides the half-sheet style A (which is basically the same image in all 3).

I think Brown did the Creature only on those posters, the rest of the art is Kallis.

the Revenge 3 sh is also a combo. Kallis did the creature, but the hero & lower vignette is Brown

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »
and looking at the 6 sheet style there again, I think it's the same combo. I think Kallis did the creature & girl, Brown does the crowd vignette

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
Some fabulous posters in here.

Congrats on the collection.

Marc.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2017, 07:31:47 PM »
Thank you for the additional info, Rich.  Interesting what you say about the Kallis/Brown elements on the Revenge 6-sheet and Creature Walks Among Us 3-sheet.  I always thought those were entirely done by Brown.  I wonder why the studio used elements from 2 different artists to create those posters.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »
Thank you for the additional info, Rich.  Interesting what you say about the Kallis/Brown elements on the Revenge 6-sheet and Creature Walks Among Us 3-sheet.  I always thought those were entirely done by Brown.  I wonder why the studio used elements from 2 different artists to create those posters.

they liked certain elements better from some artists

if you can find a copy of the Brown book, you'll see he illustrated full paintings in some cases, and other paintings that could be divided & re-arranged so the elements could be used in different configurations on different posters

-------

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2017, 12:03:37 AM »
Rich, I do have that Reynold Brown book, it's a great reference source.  I bought a lot of posters that are shown in that book.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »
Finally, a 3-sheet for The Creature Walks Among Us (1956), unbacked, artwork also by Reynold Brown.

I like the deeper frame you used on on the Creature 3sh. It works great. clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
Thanks Jeff!  I usually get a more traditional type of frame, but for this one I wanted to change things up a bit.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »
Hey Benjamin... since you and Rich were discussing Kallis' art, you might like this blog link in this thread that shows a nice selection of his work:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,7755.0.html

http://monsterbrains.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/amazing-poster-art-of-albert-kallis.html

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »
Jeff, thanks for that link, it's a very interesting blog.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »
Jeff, thanks for that link, it's a very interesting blog.

note: he does make some mistakes and shows a few Brown pieces. I need to go over his page again & make note of them

-------

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »
Killer posters. Loss of words. Over and out....

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »
I have this striking Italian 4Fogli for The Day the World Ended, I don't know who did the artwork but I wonder if it could be by Nistri. Anyone knows for sure?  Whoever it is, I think it's a much better image than the US one-sheet.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
This is a beauty, Benjamin. The damsel in distress has that classic, terrified look from sci fi flicks from the 1950s. I was looking at the image, too, and dont see a signature hidden anywhere. And I seem to recall that Nistri would sign a lot of his poster art. Since it isn't signed, what first made you think it might be by him?

I'd love to know, too, as it's awesome.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »
I have this striking Italian 4Fogli for The Day the World Ended, I don't know who did the artwork but I wonder if it could be by Nistri. Anyone knows for sure?  Whoever it is, I think it's a much better image than the US one-sheet.

oh man that's a cool poster

-------

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2017, 02:22:31 PM »
Jeff, I don't really have any solid ground for a possible attribution to Enzo Nistri other than the fact that the loose handling of the brushstrokes reminds a bit of his work.  But then again, this painterly style is pretty typical of Italian posters of that era.  I'd love to know if anyone can positively identify the artist. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »
The style also reminds me a bit of that done by Angelo Cesselon (tho much of his poster work was also signed).

Here's one he did in 1962 for Dangerous Love Affairs:

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
Apart from Hammer films, I don't have that many quads, so here's a sample:

The quad for Return of the Fly (1959) is probably my favorite paper for this title.  Same for Circus of Horrors (1960), which also happens to be a country-of-origin poster.

Goliath and the Vampires (1961) is a nice colorful variation on the Reynold Brown artwork done for the US one-sheet.

I like the Day of the Triffids (1962) quad, but I have to admit that I prefer the Italian 4Fogli for that same movie (which I posted under the "What's On Your Walls" thread), because the imagery is so over the top.  Still, this country-of-origin poster is pretty cool too.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »
Next, a combo quad for Beast from Haunted Cave and Wasp Woman, probably from an early 1960s release, with a somewhat crude but fun art adapting the US one-sheets.

I love the really pulpy design by Tom Chantrell for the 2 Amicus productions based on E.R. Burroughs novels, Land That Time Forgot (1975), and At the Earth's Core (1976).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
Nice quads there, Benjamin.

Just curious... do you plan on leaving that ratings snipe on your Triffids quad? Im normally all for keeping these kinds of attachments unless they are in a spot that distracts from the artwork. It looks to be in fine, overall condition, too.

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
Thanks Jeff!  To answer your question, I usually keep the ratings snipes on my posters, as I feel that this an integral part of its "original life" as a piece of advertisement.  That said, I do feel that in this particular case, the snipe is a little too intrusive for my taste, so I have been tempted to have it removed.  For now, I'm keeping it as it is, but maybe if I decide one day to display this quad, I will take down the snipe before framing it.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »

More amazing paper, Benjamin.

Thanks as always for sharing.

Apologies if you answered these already, but... Are you still collecting, and if so, is it limited to the 'old' stuff, or do you collect anything modern as well?

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
Chris, I am still collecting, mostly "old" stuff (i.e., anything from 1930s through 1970s).  I have a few posters from the 1980s, but my cut off mark is the end of that decade.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »
Chris, I am still collecting, mostly "old" stuff (i.e., anything from 1930s through 1970s).  I have a few posters from the 1980s, but my cut off mark is the end of that decade.

for the most part, I had an earlier cut-off than that until about 10 years ago. I don't collect modern stuff the way many members here do, but when a piece has some wild art or a particular rarity, I started socking them away. I have to have 300-400 rolled moderns in my collection now (post-1980 material)

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Benjamin, did you get this already backed? Or have it done afterward? Looks to be in really fine condition. clap clap

-Jeff