Author Topic: From my vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collection  (Read 21530 times)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: From my vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collection
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
Jeff, I put paper between each posters when they are stored in the drawers.  I snapped those sideways pics with my phone, but I thought I had corrected them before posting them.  Guess I didn't.  Re: who did the art on the French Invisible Man Returns, I don't know as there is alas no signature.

lecrimesaffiche, the bulk of my collection is made up of US posters, but I do have quite a few French posters as well.  I like in particular any horror/sci-fi posters made by the classic French illustrators such as Guy Gerard Noel, Boris Grinsson, Roger Soubie, Jean Mascii, etc...  Here are 2 nice sci-fi titles made by Soubie, the first one for Forbidden Planet (1953), and the second one for Time Machine (1960).  Both are 47X63, only the first one is linen backed.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Let me try re-posting that Forbidden Planet one correctly this time.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »
Here are some more French posters I have: first off, Horror of Dracula (1958), by Guy Gerard Noel.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
One more time for Dracula

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
Another nice Guy Gerard Noel poster for Hammer films that I have is Kiss of the Vampire (1963), unbacked.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Have always really loved the French 1P for Dracula. Bravo, once again, Benjamin. clap clap

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 07:49:14 PM »
nice load of stuff there.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline lecrimesaffiche

• Beginner
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
Very Nice Antoine. The Dracula and the forbidden planet are amazing...Very impressive artwork!
And i really really like the time machine!

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »
Thanks Jerome, I'm especially fond of Dracula too.  I'll post more French posters soon.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 04:16:15 PM »
As promised, I'm putting up a couple more French posters for classic Universal movies from my collection: first off, Werewolf of London (1935), unbacked, artwork by Jean-Rene Poissonie.  I love the alternative designs for famous American films that French illustrators used to come up with.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »
do you have any of the Fritz Lang 'Mabuse' posters, or Cocteau

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »
MoviePosterBid, I don't have any of the Fritz Lang Mabuses, nor any Cocteau titles (although I wouldn't mind getting a first release 47X63 for Beauty and the Beast).

Here's Son of Frankenstein (1939), 47X63, art by Guy Berjab.  Another nice example of a cool alternative design for a Universal film on a French poster.  I have this one framed and up on the wall, I think it looks quite striking in person.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »
The Werewolf Of London is a very cool image, and some beautiful art. It's another Ive always admired.

Ive been in touch with a couple big time Uni horror collectors who also feel this particular poster may be a later RR. The fact that it is missing the Universal logo (and Universal had a distribution arm in France at this time - other posters from 1935 like the various style French 1Ps for Bride of Frank, all have the Uni logo), was distributed by a French company (R.A.C.), and the lack of any production credits, including the director, all have some scratching their heads about this one.

What do you think, Benjamin?

And you Son of Frank is another that knocks it out of the park.  bed1
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:43:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »
MoviePosterBid, I don't have any of the Fritz Lang Mabuses, nor any Cocteau titles (although I wouldn't mind getting a first release 47X63 for Beauty and the Beast).

I have 2 Orphee 47x63, I'd like to find out if there are other variations

Testament of Mabuse I have a 1938R poster, but the real gem is one of our members has an original release Testament of Dr Mabuse 47x63 that is killer

I'm glad you identify all the artists also. I didn't know who did the Son of Frank poster..

nice stuff, and call me Rich

-------

Offline lecrimesaffiche

• Beginner
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 05:15:46 PM »
I love the son of Frankenstein...really cool! Also the werewolf!

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
Great thread and collection Antoine! Keep them coming!

Cj
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »
"Ive been in touch with a couple big time Uni horror collectors who also feel this particular poster may be a later RR. The fact that it is missing the Universal logo (and Universal had a distribution arm in France at this time - other posters from 1935 like the various style French 1Ps for Bride of Frank, all have the Uni logo), was distributed by a French company (R.A.C.), and the lack of any production credits, including the director, all have some scratching their heads about this one.

What do you think, Benjamin?"

Jeff, I don't know for sure but I've always suspected that this 47X63 Werewolf of London is indeed from a later re-release.  I wish I could find out for sure, as I'd like to assert the actual year for this particular poster.  I have never seen another French version of this title, so I wonder if it was in fact released in France in 1935.  Hopefully one day I will know the answer to all these questions.  I guess this kind of detective work is part of the fun of our hobby! 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »
I havent seen another French poster for this title, either, specifically with the Uni logo, either. And that (as well the lack of credits) is what had me curious.

And you're right.. i love the "sherlocking" part of this hobby. I think that is one area that makes it so very fun, never knowing what you might find, or later discover.  sherlockholmes.gif

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 06:19:08 PM »
Jeff, I don't know for sure but I've always suspected that this 47X63 Werewolf of London is indeed from a later re-release.  I wish I could find out for sure, as I'd like to assert the actual year for this particular poster.  I have never seen another French version of this title, so I wonder if it was in fact released in France in 1935.  Hopefully one day I will know the answer to all these questions.  I guess this kind of detective work is part of the fun of our hobby!

I might suggest it was a late-1930's release, but first release in France

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
But why not sistributed by Universal? Even in the late 1930s, as shown by Benjamin's SON OF FRANK poster above, Universal was distributing their own movies in France. And, the lack of any credits is also curious. Posters with just the title and actors listed often seem to be representative of later RR, too.

R.A.C. (Realisations d'art-Cinematographique) was a film production company as well as a distributor. This link gives 14 titles they produced (and also has a number of beautiful posters for those films):

http://en.unifrance.org/directories/company/350965/les-realisations-d-art-cinematographique-rac
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:39:26 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »
And I found this French site that states that the film was released in France on August 12, 1937:

http://www.encyclocine.com/index.html?menu=&page=%3Ca+href%3D&chercherfilm=le+monstre+de+londres&x=0&y=0

-Jeff

Offline lecrimesaffiche

• Beginner
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2017, 07:40:50 PM »
Sometimes the company choose to not distribute their movie in another country because they simply think that it will not have a successful audience! That the way I see it! The werewolf of London is an exemple between another! For me this poster is the first release....! But to be sure we will need the French press-book!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »
But why not sistributed by Universal? Even in the late 1930s, as shown by Benjamin's SON OF FRANK poster above, Universal was distributing their own movies in France. And, the lack of any credits is also curious. Posters with just the title and actors listed often seem to be representative of later RR, too.

R.A.C. (Realisations d'art-Cinematographique) was a film production company as well as a distributor. This link gives 14 titles they produced (and also has a number of beautiful posters for those films):

http://en.unifrance.org/directories/company/350965/les-realisations-d-art-cinematographique-rac

the key is to figure out the printer info. That will be a more reliable indication of release date

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2017, 09:59:27 PM »
Another interesting note is the small, black and white logo in the bottom right corner. What is printed is:

Edité par les Réalisations d'art Cinematographique (with the R.A.C. logo).

This translates to: Edited by Réalisations d'art Cinematographique (RAC)

Why would this distributor have re-edited the film? Maybe for scenes of violence or other issues deemed not acceptable in the US version?

It would be interesting to find some info that indicates the running time of the French cut. The French site I linked to above mentions a running time of 75 minutes, but thats the same running time as the US cut, so that's no help in showing if there was any editing/excising done.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2017, 11:00:19 PM »
Noel's Horror of Dracula is probably one of the best French 50s posters.  I love it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)