Author Topic: Vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collector newbie here  (Read 8015 times)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collector newbie here
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:04:22 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Benjamin, I'm French and I live in NYC.  I have just registered here and this is my first post.  I've been collecting vintage movie posters since 2007, mostly horror/sci-fi from 1930s through 1980s, with an emphasis on 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.  I collect US, French, and Italian paper (also to a lesser extent British quads).  I tend to focus mostly on larger formats (i.e., one-sheets, 3-sheets, 6-sheets for US posters, Thierry hates "French Grande" Affiche and Italian Fogli).  This means I have no lobby cards, no inserts, and only a handful of half sheets.  I usually prefer unrestored paper, but I occasionally purchase linenbacked items (only for sizes larger than one-sheets though).  My favorite illustrators are Reynold Brown, Albert Kallis, Guy Gerard Noel, Boris Grinsson, Roger Soubie, Jean Masci, Anselmo Ballester and Tom Chantrell.

I'd love to hear from anyone with similar interests, either to discuss our mutual hobby or for suggestions on reference books, recommended dealers/auction houses, and other related topics.  Thank you!

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: Vintage horror/sci-fi movie poster collector newbie here
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:13:14 AM »
I have no idea why half-way through my previous post, it reads "Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" Affiche", since I don't recall typing this.  Anyone knows what happened here? 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:13:58 AM »
 Welcome3.gif , Benjamin and enjoy the forum.

Sounds like you are in good company with the genre and decades that you enjoy collecting and Im sure will find many here that enjoy the same formats, artists and countries.

Looking forward too, to seeing some of your collection, so please feel free to post away, at your leisure!

Jeff

And anyone who writes "F rench grande" will get the same change in spelling... a little fun by Thierry (eatbrie), one of the forum owners.  :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:15:25 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 12:43:44 AM »
welcome to the forum Antoine

re: the Thierry hates "Thierry hates "Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"""" bit

Thierry is forum owner. He is French, like yourself.
he is however, a snob and finds the term used for French 47x63 posters, objectionable
so he set a filter that changes the two words into Thierry hates "Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"""

what we do is space our text so it reads F r e n c h  g r a n d e

do it often, do it loudly..

;-)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:49:00 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
Thanks Erick for the warm welcome, and thank u guys for the explanation re: F R E N C H  G R A N D E's peculiar filter on this forum!

I will post some of the items in my collection in the coming days once I figure out how to do this (any advice on how to navigate this place would be most welcome by the way!).  When I am ready to include pics, should I do so in this thread or should I create another just for that purpose?

Looking forward to interacting with fellow members interested in the same collecting areas as the ones I have described.

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 07:42:45 AM »
 welcome1 Benjamin,

Cant wait to see your collection i also collect horror sci fi from 50s - 70s along with a heap of other types. You can start your own thread under "Show us your collection" where you can add your wares over time. Enjoy the forum mate plenty of great people on here that will make you feel welcome

Enjoy

Damo
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 07:59:13 AM »
Welcome Benjamin, lots of us Horror Sci-fi collectors here, though I'm mostly UK Quads...

looking forward to seeing what you have so far..    pcorn
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
Welcome Benjamin,

You'll find some great people here. Look forward to seeing what you own.

Marc

The Gene Tierney collector
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 09:45:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! 

Following Damomac's advice, I tried creating a new thread under "Show us your collection" with images of some of my posters, but my post didn't show up anywhere, even though I previewed it before posting (at least the text part).  Anyone knows what happened?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! 

Following Damomac's advice, I tried creating a new thread under "Show us your collection" with images of some of my posters, but my post didn't show up anywhere, even though I previewed it before posting (at least the text part).  Anyone knows what happened?

Benjamin, I don't see a thread that you created anywhere on the forum. After you previewed it, did you then hit the "Post" button?

Give it another try.  Egyptsmiley

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:45:11 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 05:47:46 PM »
Erik, I did hit "post" and yet nothing happened.  I tried writing my post again later and encountered the same problem.  I don't understand what is that I'm doing wrong. 

I'll try one more time, but instead of posting under "Show us your collection", I will post in this thread as test to see if my images appear.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 06:01:32 PM »
I still can't seem to be able to post any pics.  Could it be because my files are too large?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »
Send me a pic in a PM and let me try it for you...

What size are your image files?

-Jeff

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 10:51:15 PM »
Thanks to Erik's tireless efforts, I was finally able to post a couple of my posters under the "Show us your collection" thread (turns out my files size was too big).  I will post some more stuff in the coming days.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 02:31:29 AM »
Hey Benjamin! 

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like your collection is right up my alley. I'm anxious to see it. I'll be popping over to your thread very soon. In the mean time, i just wanted to add my HELLO to the mix. (I see the welcome wagon has already been out in force. There's a great group on here!)

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline lecrimesaffiche

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
Nice to meet you Benjamin.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 10:46:32 AM »
Hi! Benjamin,

I like most things horror/sci-fi related as do many people on these forums, big  welcome1 from me, see you around. :)

guest4920

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 02:01:17 AM »
Hey Benjamin,

Sounds like your collection is definitely something I would enjoy seeing! There are definitely a few of us on here with similar tastes and Reynold Brown is a big favorite of mine.

So little time and so many people to bid against...  laugh1

Glad to have another collector on here interested in the same stuff I am. The more the merrier!

Enjoy the site!

2footlong / Jamie

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »
Jamie, John, Jerome, and Monster_A-GoGo, a big (belated) thank you for your warm messages welcoming me here!  I have now been posting on this site for the past 2 weeks under the Show Us Your Collection and What's On Your Walls threads (as well as in the Hammer thread), and it's been a lot of fun to find a place for like-minded individuals with a common interest who share my passion for collecting horror and sci-fi stuff.  I have been collecting many things over the years (rare books, old maps, Old Masters paintings and prints, etc...), but somehow my movie poster hobby is the one thing that doesn't get much love around the house, so it's nice to finally meet people with an appreciation for it.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »
Jamie, John, Jerome, and Monster_A-GoGo, a big (belated) thank you for your warm messages welcoming me here!  I have now been posting on this site for the past 2 weeks under the Show Us Your Collection and What's On Your Walls threads (as well as in the Hammer thread), and it's been a lot of fun to find a place for like-minded individuals with a common interest who share my passion for collecting horror and sci-fi stuff.  I have been collecting many things over the years (rare books, old maps, Old Masters paintings and prints, etc...), but somehow my movie poster hobby is the one thing that doesn't get much love around the house, so it's nice to finally meet people with an appreciation for it.

Very well said here Benjamin, I only joined the forums a month or two ago myself and I feel exactly the same way, it was really hard finding people to talk to about movie posters (apart from actual dealers) so just like you I'm delighted to have come across these great forums with so many like minded people thumbsup.gif