Author Topic: Thailand movie posters....  (Read 9184 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Thailand movie posters....
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »
Hey! guys,

I've just started to come across Thailand posters and I'm truly amazed at how good some of the artwork is on them, IMO some of them have some of the best artwork I've ever seen on movie posters.

What I'd really like to know is how safe it is to go after these Thailand posters, in other words have any of you got any good tips at all in making sure your buying the real deal and not re-prints/fakes? so are there any good things to look out for so you can be sure of what your buying?

For example I really like some of the horror Thailand posters for classic films like Evil Dead & A Nightmare On Elm Street, are these safe to buy or often faked?

I really like the look of these posters but just don't know enough about them, any helpful tips at all would be "GREATLY" appreciated.

Thank You!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Thailand movie posters....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 01:19:08 PM »
John, also check out this excellent post from Pea, a Thai poster seller who resides in Thailand, knows Thai artist, Tongdee and is also a member here on APF. She explained and try to clear up a number of authentication points quite well, regarding questions and comments made about reprints, restrikes etc.  clap clap clap.

Post link: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,7575.msg143032.html#msg143032
Thread link: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,7575.0.html

I apologize for taking so long to reply to this thread, but after just getting over a recent illness I had to attend a funeral for my best
 friend, and I wanted to verify some information before responding.

First off though, I would like to thank you for opening this thread and giving me a chance to clarify about Thai posters as much as possible.
 I actually had a chance to talk with Tongdee and his assistant to verify some of the information about the posters and whether or not they
 are authentic.

Tongdee would like to confirm that the Apocalypse Now 2-sheets are indeed authentic, but he has never seen the 1-sheets until recently so
he is unsure as to their origin.

Tongdee would also like to set at ease the worries about the posters being purchased from me being restrikes or not originals.
He said no one scanned or reproduced his artwork from the originals, as no Thai artists allow that. As to restrikes, it depends on the orders
 of the rights owners of the films in Thailand. Although they can be reprinted for for use in the rural areas, the colors will mostly be
 different and it will mainly be done for Thai movies, very rarely for foreign movies.
Usually there are two different types of artwork made, one is used for 1-sheets and the other for 2-sheets. The 2-sheets are almost alway
s reserved for big-budget release movies (Apocalypse Now, Terminator, Dances with Wolves, etc.). These can also be shown at the studio
owned or rights owned theaters in Thailand. 2 Sheet artwork is painted on 2 seperate boards.  When boards put together for 1 sheet print,
there is line that can't be removed

Oftentimes when the 2-sheet art is used also for the 1-sheet, you will see a line in the middle of the poster (Dances with Wolves,
Terminator, etc.).
This is because they used a straight offset printing back then, and no Photoshop or digital correction. They are/were never printed by
demand of the artist, only by the request of the Thailand rights holder to be used as promotional material in the theater (both urban
and rural areas).

Condition can vary because the posters can be found from many different place, mostly from what we call liquidation theaters and they
were located both in urban and rural areas. When posters were sent to the rural area theaters they were usually folded (rarely kept rolled).
If the theater is a large one (mainly urban areas) and has spare room to keep the posters then they can be found in excellent condition, but
from smaller theaters and not kept up well then of course they will look old and dirty.

Thai movie posters have many different sizes and they were all dependent upon the demands of the right owners of the movies.
There were many companies importing movies and using different printing sizes and this is why Thai posters will come in different sizes.
 Paper quality and size will usually depend on the following factors:

1. Price of paper in the different time period
2. Budget of the rights owner in marketing the movie
3. Relationship between the rights owner of the movie and printing company
4. Current economy in Thailand.

Hope this addresses some of the issues you had, and if I missed answering any of your questions please let me know and I will do my best
to answer.

Thanks,

Pea

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:30:30 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
AWESOME Jeff as always thumbsup.gif thanks! for you help!

Really want to pick a few of these fantastic looking Thailand posters up, so any info that may help put my mind at rest that it's safe to do so is very welcome.

Do you own any posters from Thailand Jeff?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
John, the ones that I posted in the Thailand (by country) thread are mine http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10875.msg219026.html#msg219026 as well as the 3 new arrivals that I posted to the April 2017 Acquisitions thread, a couple days ago, too. :)

I think the created art (vs photos pasted together) can be really great, especially when it varies from the typical art that was used in the US and elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:44:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »
John, the ones that I posted in the Thailand (by country) thread are mine http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10875.msg219026.html#msg219026 as well as the 3 new arrivals that I posted to the April 2017 Acquisitions thread, a couple days ago, too. :)

I think the created art (vs photos pasted together) can be really great, especially when it varies from the typical art that was used in the US and elsewhere.

If you don't mind me asking Jeff, where do you usually buy your Thailand posters from?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
I love the hunt and search of this hobby, as Im not in any rush to find anything, so I often will begin by looking up a title on Google, then scour various sellers, ebay, etc, based on the search results.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 02:08:40 PM »
I love the hunt and search of this hobby, as Im not in any rush to find anything, so I often will begin by looking up a title on Google, then scour various sellers, ebay, etc, based on the search results.

Yes, the ones I've been looking at are all ebay sellers hence why I wanted to get a bit more of an idea about Thai posters in general, it's always good to have a rough idea of what exactly your buying, I usually steer clear of posters from other countries but some of the Thai ones just seem worth the risk.

Have you found that many of these Thai posters, say for example your Silence of the Lambs one can be picked up rather cheap?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
The Silence of the Lambs was from a fellow APF member, and not an online buy. I havent seen it listed for sale/auction very often - maybe a few times - so that might be a poster that tends to be a little more pricey. But I cant say for sure. Plus, it was done by Tongdee, who's such an amazing Thai artist.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
The Silence of the Lambs was from a fellow APF member, and not an online buy. I havent seen it listed for sale/auction very often - maybe a few times - so that might be a poster that tends to be a little more pricey. But I cant say for sure. Plus, it was done by Tongdee, who's such an amazing Thai artist.

What sort of prices would you put on Thai posters for the likes of They Live and A Nightmare on Elm Street? any idea at all? (approx.)

Would you expect original authentic ones to be $50 or $100 or much more?

Oh, and I noticed most of these ebay sellers are based in Thailand, so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing when buying original Thailand posters? (I assume good thing)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:22:55 PM by Test1 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
Pea (who is a member here, and quoted in that other post) is based in Thailand and she sells on ebay, too. You should send her a PM and ask about certain titles and prices, too, John. I'm sure she'll get back to you. 

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4549
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:42:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
Pea (who is a member here, and quoted in that other post) is based in Thailand and she sells on ebay, too. You should send her a PM and ask about certain titles, too, John. Im sure she'll gt back to you. 

Thanks! for the tip, I'll try that for sure Jeff. ;)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
Pea (who is a member here, and quoted in that other post) is based in Thailand and she sells on ebay, too. You should send her a PM and ask about certain titles and prices, too, John. I'm sure she'll get back to you. 

Not been active on these forums since Jan this year, however I've tried the email option, so fingers crossed.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »
I messaged her not too long ago..maybe a month or so, and got a reply. :)

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »
I messaged her not too long ago..maybe a month or so, and got a reply. :)

Well, I've given it a go so I'll hope for the best.

I just want to get a rough idea that's all, when looking at the prices of many of these Thai posters like the ones I've mentioned they all seem "very" cheap to me, now as far as I know Thai posters might just be cheaper than your average poster, but, I find that hard to believe considering how good the artwork is on some of them.

I would have thought Thai posters for films like They Live etc. would have cost far more than the price they're going for on ebay "if" they are indeed the genuine original poster.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
What sort of prices would you put on Thai posters for the likes of They Live and A Nightmare on Elm Street? any idea at all? (approx.)

Would you expect original authentic ones to be $50 or $100 or much more?

Oh, and I noticed most of these ebay sellers are based in Thailand, so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing when buying original Thailand posters? (I assume good thing)

I think, like anything, John, it's what the collector market and what people are willing to pay, comes into play too, when seeing some of the lower prices. Plus, there is that thought that some posters from various countries may not be as "hot" as those from others, and then tend to be sold for less, even for the bigger titles.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:10:23 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
And certain titles, like the Thai Apocalypse Now, are hard to find, and also go for a pretty penny.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
I think, like anything, John, it's what the collector market and what people are willing to pay, comes into play too, when seeing some of the lower prices. Plus, there is that thought that some posters from various countries may not be as "hot" as those from others, and then tend to be sold for less, even for the bigger titles.

Let me put it this way, most of the Thai posters I've seen on ebay and being sold by sellers based in Thailand are priced between $50-$300 now to me that seems really cheap when it's for big films like those I've mentioned, do those prices sound right to you? was your Silence of the Lambs somewhere between that price range?

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »
And certain titles, like the Thai Apocalypse Now, are hard to find, and also go for a pretty penny.

One Thai poster I did see which was a lot more expensive than most was for Halloween, except this one was being sold by someone based in the US, I think!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »
Im sure sellers in the US will try to maximize their sales on well known US titles. cha-ching.  ;D

And I dont consider 300.00 all that cheap for a poster, (depending on title, of course), so that also comes into play, in how prices and valuation are viewed.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »
Im sure sellers in the US will try to maximize their sales on well known US titles. cha-ching.  ;D

And I dont consider 300.00 all that cheap for a poster, (depending on title, of course), so that also comes into play, in how prices and valuation are viewed.

I don't want to jinx things, but, if/when I get a couple of these Thai movie posters I'll make to post them on here, I'm sure someone will soon point out if they don't look like the real deal. :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »
Things like paper and print details can often only be detected by seeing them in person, unless the faked (reproduced) print job is SO bad as to be fuzzy and horribly "off" color.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »
Things like paper and print details can often only be detected by seeing them in person, unless the faked (reproduced) print job is SO bad as to be fuzzy and horribly "off" color.

I hear you Jeff, I know what you mean, I'll just have to hope any I buy feel right, I'll never know if I don't give some seller a chance, there not to expensive that I can't give it a try, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I find an honest seller/dealer.

If things don't work out I can always go back to UK quads and the odd UK one sheet as I'm more familiar with them and have a better idea of what to look out for.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:33:05 PM by Test1 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »
Thats the best to do, John. Plus, I ALWAYS look at a seller's feedback.. Im sure you do too. And read the comments about whether anyone has ever felt they received a bad reproduction (or even a good one). That is what I also use, (whether the posters are coming from overseas or from a seller here in the US).

I have yet to receive something that wasn't described, or was a repro or fake.  whew.gif

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »
Yes, Jeff, no worries on that one, I always study the seller and their feedback as much as I possibly can before using them, that's a no brainer for sure.

guest4531

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 06:09:55 AM »
Hehehe, 300 USD is not what I call cheap :)

We need to be together on terms we use.   By "fake" or "repro", I understand a fake cheap poster...   but what about a one-off repro (like the Apocalypse Now), so rare, that value is higher than official poster; how would call this, a "fake" ?  I prefer the term "Original repro"...  some will use the broad term "commercial poster".

From my experience, just be wary with Thai poster, especially foreign classic film and don't trust anyone.  The fact we haven't managed to get a clear answer on these Apocalypse 1sh shows that everything is muddy and grey.  Collusion usually involves people.   Pretty sure all 2 sheet are legit, so are the local Thai 1sh movie.   As for classic movies, you need to do your search and get it cheap (100 USD max) if unsure.

@erik1925
Here are the photo of my poster, sorry taken under a yellowish shade resulting in bad color showing on picture. But it is high resolution :) Anyway, I am shit in taking pictures, sorry.   I will try to take better pictures another time.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e0/93/aa/e093aa277b67aad8d63d699d1f4604f7.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/48/5a/26/485a261fa43ffc4b2a8f56886af7eae7.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/24/50/7d/24507d9ed89d2738679cf195df7a46a5.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/09/40/18/094018c8648acd8bf9a27b68f492251a.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e8/df/00/e8df000107e5110c4be472665f2c80e8.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/aa/fb/2a/aafb2a7512bc09ae4a0b7299f6ee68cb.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3e/f4/7c/3ef47c2e3291dde46c57f83be581a8d6.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/67/e4/2e/67e42e7dcbe0ab7ac1d1dba0dd949dc8.jpg

Very funny also to know that while trying to get story and estimates, some collectors wrote to me to say it is a fake and threw low ball offers
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,7575.msg219599.html#msg219599