Author Topic: Folded & Rolled posters....  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Folded & Rolled posters....
« on: April 13, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »
I'd really like to know how you all feel on these forums about folded & rolled posters.

Lets just say for arguments sake you have just come across your dream poster whatever that may be, and it's a folded one, but then much to your surprise the very next day you come across another one of the same poster in the same overall condition but this time more it's expensive as it's in rolled condition.

Now my question to all of you is how much more money would you be prepared to pay out to buy the rolled one?

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Re: Folded & Rolled posters....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
To answer that. It's strongly up to what you feel comfortable with. But I for sure wouldn't be paying extra for a poster if I find it overvalued for example.
If you decide to buy the poster because it's your dream poster, you have to have an idea of a price in mind. Pretend it was up for auction. What is the max you would pay..
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:50:13 PM by bigmike »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
And dream poster or not, I think the title will also come into play, as far as how it will be priced, folded vs. rolled. As far as what I'd pay for a rolled copy.. hard to say, as I think other factors (rarity in a rolled condition, for example) can come into play.

But Im with Mike, too. No way would I ever grossly overpay just because a copy was rolled.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »
To answer that. It's strongly up to what you feel comfortable with. But I for sure wouldn't be paying extra for a poster if I find it overvalued for example.
If you decide to buy the poster because it's your dream poster, you have to have an idea of a price in mind. Pretend it was up for auction. What is the max you would pay..

I don't think I've found my dream poster yet or even know what that may be yet as I've only been collecting for a short time, but, I was just interested to see how much importance the majority on these forums would put on getting their dream poster in rolled condition and what extra they'd pay for it.

The first point you made where you said "But I for sure wouldn't be paying extra for a poster if I find it overvalued for example" is exactly the sort of thing I was wondering about with this very question.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 01:01:25 PM »
And dream poster or not, I think the title will also come into play, as far as how it will be priced, folded vs. rolled. As far as what I'd pay for a rolled copy.. hard to say, as I think other factors (rarity in a rolled condition, for example) can come into play.

But Im with Mike, too. No way would I ever grossly overpay just because a copy was rolled.

Again this is the sort of thing that I wanted to hear, you guys have been collecting far longer than me and it's great to hear your thoughts on this subject thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 01:01:40 PM »
I dont think my dream poster would ever be found rolled anyhow, as it would be a poster from the 1930s or earlier.. so I feel kind of safe there. :)

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
I think if you doubt the price on something, rather than clicking the buy it now button. Tells you the answer too. Just not the right price/right time...

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »
I think if you doubt the price on something, rather than clicking the buy it now button. Tells you the answer too. Just not the right price/right time...

I hear you bigmike, and I suppose at the end of the day that should pretty much apply to any item, film poster or otherwise. Appreciate your thoughts cheers

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
Agree with the guys that have commented. I wouldn't spend too much more on a rolled copy if I had a decent folded one. By=ut again, it really does depend what the title is.

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »
this is what is called 'upgrading'

all good points have been made. What you might pay for a rolled copy of one title over the folded by % will vary from one title to the next and from one person to the next

Right now my friend Matt McCarthy has that rolled Long Goodbye 'angry cat' style. Sure I'd love to have this poster, but it's not worth $1500 to me (a full 2-3x my perception of value for a nm folded copy), unless I could trade him stuff I don't have much in & etc.

of course, I do have a rolled 30x40 and only paid $350 for that and that assuages my need for this 1sh

then again, folds don't bother me like they do the young'uns, so I'll be happy with a folded copy anyway (it's one of the 3 Chandler one sheet sizes I need, with one poster being a special poster for a title for display outside theatres and only ever seen in the pressbook for the film. so it probably doesn't exist)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 03:39:36 AM »
this is what is called 'upgrading'

all good points have been made. What you might pay for a rolled copy of one title over the folded by % will vary from one title to the next and from one person to the next

Right now my friend Matt McCarthy has that rolled Long Goodbye 'angry cat' style. Sure I'd love to have this poster, but it's not worth $1500 to me (a full 2-3x my perception of value for a nm folded copy), unless I could trade him stuff I don't have much in & etc.

of course, I do have a rolled 30x40 and only paid $350 for that and that assuages my need for this 1sh

then again, folds don't bother me like they do the young'uns, so I'll be happy with a folded copy anyway (it's one of the 3 Chandler one sheet sizes I need, with one poster being a special poster for a title for display outside theatres and only ever seen in the pressbook for the film. so it probably doesn't exist)

99% of the time I'd agree with you on this, folds also don't worry me most of the time and in some ways light folds can add to the charm of some older posters, the only time folds can bother me a little is on some of the later posters with the shiny type paper as I think on these type of posters the folds can "sometimes" look a bit much.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 03:44:36 AM »
Agree with the guys that have commented. I wouldn't spend too much more on a rolled copy if I had a decent folded one. By=ut again, it really does depend what the title is.

Marc

Good to hear your thoughts on this subject Marc, what you said about not being to worried about a rolled one if you already have a good folded copy is very much the way I'm starting to look at things, I think this may well be the most sensible way to go the majority of the time.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
I'm waiting to hear Ed's (FilmonPaper) thoughts on folded posters  8)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »
Don't forget, your dream poster is going to change, either immediately after you buy your first dream poster or possibly in the time spent waiting for it.  Best to keep some cash on hand for that eventuality.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*