Author Topic: A Nightmare on Elm Street UK quad....  (Read 27438 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
A Nightmare on Elm Street UK quad....
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:58:57 AM »
No doubt most on these forums will know all about  the classy UK quad for "A Nightmare on Elm Street" done by the artist Graham Humphreys, I was just wondering what sort of value you'd put on this poster in rolled/un-folded condition?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street UK quad....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:45:53 AM »
£350 is a sensible price for a rolled one, but I have seen them up in the 600 range...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 01:48:33 AM »
No doubt most on these forums will know all about  the classy UK quad for "A Nightmare on Elm Street" done by the artist Graham Humphreys, I was just wondering what sort of value you'd put on this poster in rolled/un-folded condition?

Do you own a copy, John?

If so, can you snap and post a pic?  prayer.gif

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:57:35 AM »
The pound is not worth anything anymore, so you should probably try to get it in the UK, because it'd be worth a lot more in the US.  Bruce sold a folded one for $800 2 years ago.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:41:08 AM »
Thanks! everyone for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

@Jeff No I don't own a rolled one was "thinking" about going for one but worried about the price and was interested to see what value you guys would put on this particular poster.

This is the one I was looking at: (it's not just the price of the quad itself, but, more so the shipping/custom charges etc. to get it sent over to the UK)

http://marqueeposter.com/product/nightmare-on-elm-street-1984-uk-quad/

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:44:12 AM »
£350 is a sensible price for a rolled one, but I have seen them up in the 600 range...

I recently sold a folded one for just over £300 :o

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:58:03 AM »
Thanks! everyone for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

@Jeff No I don't own a rolled one was "thinking" about going for one but worried about the price and was interested to see what value you guys would put on this particular poster.

This is the one I was looking at: (it's not just the price of the quad itself, but, more so the shipping/custom charges etc. to get it sent over to the UK)

http://marqueeposter.com/product/nightmare-on-elm-street-1984-uk-quad/

$1800.00?? Yikes.  faint2.gif  :o starz.gif
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:35:32 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:59:23 AM »
$1800.00?? Yikes.  faint2.gif  :o

This is why I posted on here Jeff, wanted to see the reaction ;D

Should just add the owner Matt (friendly guy) is open to "sensible" offers, but, there's no doubt it's an awful lot of money, I was just intrigued to see how much value the majority placed on this particular poster.

Just for the record, I think a good rolled one could/should be worth £700-£800 that's just going on what I've seen folded ones sold for by dealers in the UK (around £500)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:15:02 AM by Test1 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:04:51 AM »
I would defer to Paul Waines and his price assessment on this item. He's got his finger on the "quad price pulse."  thumbsup.gif

As well as checking what emp sold their 2 copies for (as a gauge):

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/NIGHTMARE%2520ON%2520ELM%2520STREET%2520%2528%252784%2529/tag/nation%253AU.K./archive.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:08:17 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 03:11:30 AM »
I would defer to Paul Waines and his price assessment on this item. He's got his finger on the "quad price pulse."  thumbsup.gif

As well as checking what emp sold their 2 copies for (as a gauge):

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/NIGHTMARE%2520ON%2520ELM%2520STREET%2520%2528%252784%2529/tag/nation%253AU.K./archive.html

Yes, I've seen those two sold on emovieposter, but, they were folded and not in the greatest condition, but, your quite right Jeff world of difference in the price.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 03:13:39 AM »
Maybe best to just keep on the search. Unless you are dead set on getting a copy sooner than later, John?

At least you can compare high and low prices, then.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 03:18:33 AM »
Maybe best to just keep on the search. Unless you are dead set on getting a copy sooner than later, John?

At least you can compare high and low prices, then.

Yes, that's almost certainly what I'll do in the end, I could get two or three really good UK quad posters for the same cost in buying this NOES and getting it shipped over, I would like a rolled NOES, but, I think I need to be sensible about it. Appreciate all your help Jeff as usual cheers

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 03:23:45 AM »
The pound is not worth anything anymore, so you should probably try to get it in the UK, because it'd be worth a lot more in the US.  Bruce sold a folded one for $800 2 years ago.

T

I think your spot on, finding this poster in the UK is certainly the way to go, only trouble is it is a tough one to find over here rolled, I've seen lots of folded ones over the last year or two on ebay and dealer websites, but, not seen a rolled one in all that time, I'll just have to keep an eye out.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
Good luck it took me many years to find a rolled one that was for sale and only managed to find it last year. So the hard part is finding one. The second hardest is ponying up your £700-£800 or 875-1000USD is what I was thinking and would be lucky to get it at that price nowadays. I think I have seen 3 rolled one for sale in the past 6 years including Matt's.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 01:21:19 AM »
Jason, mind if I aske what you snagged your rolled copy for (ballpark)?

I can't imagine it was anywhere even close $1800.00 smackers.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »
Good luck it took me many years to find a rolled one that was for sale and only managed to find it last year. So the hard part is finding one. The second hardest is ponying up your £700-£800 or 875-1000USD is what I was thinking and would be lucky to get it at that price nowadays. I think I have seen 3 rolled one for sale in the past 6 years including Matt's.

Thanks! for the "good luck" message, I'll probably need an awful lot of good luck as well to ever find one at a more affordable price.

To be honest I'm more or less quickly moving on from the idea of going for this poster now, I totally get/understand why Matt has this poster priced so high and I'm sure one day someone will come along and offer close to what he's asking for, and I still think it's a cracking poster, but, this one is just to overpriced "for me"

The actual NOES UK quad is not that rare in general, I'm always seeing folded ones many of which are in perfect folded condition and they are often only around £500 at the most, so even though this quad is clearly rare in rolled condition I just don't feel it's worth double the price or more than a perfect condition folded one, it's just silly money (unless your rich) if I had money to throw away then it would be a different story, but, sadly I'm not and never expect to be in such a position.

Just to add that Matt was very fair with me over this poster, he was prepared to listen to offers and the price he offered (I won't say how much as that would be wrong)  was actually pretty good in the end, and if I was living in the US I would have been "very" tempted to go for it, but, I'm in the UK and even though Matt dropped to a much fairer price it would still be far to much for me because of the shipping costs and especially the custom charges which were in the hundreds :o but, that's just one of those things that can't be helped.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »
Jason, mind if I aske what you snagged your rolled copy for (ballpark)?

I can't imagine it was anywhere even close $1800.00 smackers.

Yeah $1800 amongst collectors is a lot. As for a retail price it is not off base at all. It allows shops to hold onto more inventory and you can always lower the price but can't raise it. And ofcourse everyone that would be interested is going to make a lower offer than asking price.
Matt has the only one for sale besides the palace cinemas copy mounted on foamboard
I paid well enough that... first, I wouldn't part with it for unless $1,800 OBO and that this quad would be tough to let go. And secondly and more important is the time it took to find one. I was persistent and asked many many people if they wanted to sell theirs. At one point I gave up on rolled after being the underbidder on a folded one at over $600. (They weren't showing up then as often as this past year then)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 12:37:57 PM »
Thanks for the info, Jason. It's all about what we all want to pay, in the end, the time it takes to find that "elusive" poster and getting it for a price that doenst make one's head hurt.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »
Just to add that Matt was very fair with me over this poster, he was prepared to listen to offers and the price he offered (I won't say how much as that would be wrong)  was actually pretty good in the end, and if I was living in the US I would have been "very" tempted to go for it, but, I'm in the UK and even though Matt dropped to a much fairer price it would still be far to much for me because of the shipping costs and especially the custom charges which were in the hundreds :o but, that's just one of those things that can't be helped.

What custom charges?  Just have him send it as a gift and you're done.  And shipping should be what... $20?  $30 maybe?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 01:04:26 PM »
John, what was the quote shipping price for that ONE rolled quad? It should have been minimal, in the scheme of things.

I mailed 3 linen rolled linen backed US OS to the UK from here in LA one time. That cost (and these were quite heavy in a gorilla-proof tube) was only about 50.00 USD.

And they arrived in a week.

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 01:05:25 PM »
If he would insure it...could it still be sent as a gift? And my girl just sent birthday gifts to the UK and those were hit with import duties that her daughter had to pay. £100+

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
Because people put a value.  Don't put a value.  Value is ZERO.  And then ship it.  Done!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
I thing saying it had zero value could raise a red flag once it arrived. Ive mailed other things of value to other countries like Norway and (at the receiver's request) they wanted me to put a value of 5 bucks on the contents and describe the items as ""children's cardboard cutouts."

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
You can declare a low value but I always make sure the buyer wants to do that first because the tube or package can not be insured. And for this one not many people would want to gamble on $1000.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 01:58:29 PM »
What custom charges?  Just have him send it as a gift and you're done.  And shipping should be what... $20?  $30 maybe?

T

I did suggest that almost right away, but, was told it would mess up the insurance sending it as a gift, so in other words if it got lost I'd be in real trouble.