Author Topic: Hi Everyone! I'm currently working on a poster book...  (Read 6920 times)

guest4931

Hi Everyone! I'm currently working on a poster book...
« on: April 10, 2017, 01:03:34 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have recently been contracted by Schiffer Publishing to produce 2 (with an option open for more) beautiful books on the art of illustrated movie posters:

The Art of Epic Movie Posters Volume I: Sword, Sandals and Sorcery
The Art of Epic Movie Posters Volume II: Exotic Adventures

Full disclosure - I myself am not a poster collector, which is why I came here. For this book truly special, with completely accurate text and lavish/rare images, I realize I needed to come to the experts - and this forum has more collective knowledge and enthusiasm than any individual alone.

So if you're happy to have me, I would love to stick around and ask plenty of obtuse and esoteric questions about the world of film posters. And of course for those kind souls who can contribute to this venture, will receive acknowledgment and a copy of the book.

Looking forward to working with many of you and creating one helluva book on one of the film industry's most neglected art forms.

-- Jamie

P.S. Also, so I don't go making a mess about the forum - where would be the best place for me to post my questions?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Hi Everyone! I'm currently working on a poster book...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:10:47 AM »
First,  welcome1 to the forum, Jamie. Im glad the registration was smooth and pain-free.

Please looks around and ask questions to your heart's content. Check out the forum and all the various boards and sections -- and post or place questions where you think it might be best, from Valuation to Restoration, or the many, varied topics covered in the General Discussion area, to Poster Artists, etc.

And your books sound very interesting, too. Im sure you will find many helpful folks here who are happy to impart their knowledge. It's what makes APF such a good and diverse group, yet with one common thread -- collecting and appreciating film posters.

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:12:14 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:20:34 AM »
Jamie, when are these first 2 books scheduled to be published and available to the public?

-Jeff

guest4931

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:27:36 AM »
Hi Jeff!

No set release date yet, but the manuscript is due in September (although that deadline will certainly shrink or expand depending on how long hunting down print-quality files of the posters takes).

But I promise you guys will be the first to know!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 01:41:39 AM »
I know you will find much useful information from the fine collectors and posts here on APF. And if you need more info on any topic or sub-topic, please feel free to ask. Someone here is likely to have the answer.  happy1

-Jeff

guest4920

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
Hey Jamie,

Welcome to the forum!

As erik1925 (Jeff) has stated, there are many different areas in which to post questions. Maybe even start your own thread...

I know that Bruce at emovieposter.com probably has the most extensive collection of rare movie poster images on the planet. I'm not sure what type of arrangement he would work out with you, but you might try contacting him through his site or on this forum as I've seen him on here from time to time. I know he's definitely got things I'm sure I've never seen before.

And, I'm sure you would find plenty of others on this forum willing to help in that regard if any of us could take enough time away from our collecting to even take pictures of our own collections.  laugh1

Good luck with your books! I can't wait to see the end products!

2footlong / Jamie

guest4931

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 11:07:55 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply - that's just the sort of information I am looking for.

Very, very glad to see I found such a supportive and friendly community!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 02:24:51 AM »
Jamie--Welcome to the boards. You've already met our one man welcome committee and super member, JEFF as well as one of our other new members, 2footlong (who is also a Jamie). His steering you to Bruce and emovie was a brilliant idea. Other members, i am sure, will pop on here eventually and wish you welcome---and hopefully also have ideas for your search.

As Jeff said, feel free to look around and ask questions. Posting them is a good idea (as many will see it), but you can always send members private messages as well.

Keep us posted on the progress of your books. We are all anxious to see them when they come out. Whoo hoo!  Great topic---movie posters!

Anyway, WELCOME!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

guest4931

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 06:28:32 AM »
A little update on the book.

Good news: Boris Vallejo has agreed to write the foreword.

Bad news: Bruce from emovieposters was a bust - a lot of time wasted on an extremely rude man.

Are there any other people or places anyone could recommend for an extensive source for print-quality images of posters?

Looking at other books that feature hundreds of movie posters makes me wonder where they're getting them from, as the authors surely can't own all of them!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »
Jamie, congrats on getting Boris Vallejo to do your forward. That's fantastic! clap clap

Email or PM Heritage Auctions. Their movie poster director, Grey Smith, is also a member here, http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3166 and see what he might have to say.

And have you maybe tried or thought about contacting IMP Awards? ( http://www.impawards.com/ )

I don't know if they do this or not, but it might be worth at least asking them.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »

Bad news: Bruce from emovieposters was a bust - a lot of time wasted on an extremely rude man.

Are there any other people or places anyone could recommend for an extensive source for print-quality images of posters?

Looking at other books that feature hundreds of movie posters makes me wonder where they're getting them from, as the authors surely can't own all of them!

Congrats on the book progress, JK.

Bruce from emovieposter (no "s" at the end) is still a member here, so maybe we can hear his side of this. People can't hotlink to the images on his website, like they used to, so maybe they have new policies in place.

Some of the esteemed members here have professional photography setups and may be willing to help.

In any case, good luck on the book, and feel free to ask for recommendations or help here.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 03:57:22 PM »

I suggest you ask Grey Smith at Heritage if you can use images from their site. I'm sure all he'll ask for is that the images get credited to HA as the source and a thank you

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4931

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »
Thanks for the leads, gang! Much appreciated.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 02:50:51 AM »
Hey Jamie, best of luck with your project!

I have quite a few posters from the sword/sandal/sorcery genre......and a large, but not quite complete, collection of Vallejo posters.  My ability to turn them into "print-quality" images is limited, though I do have some in that format already.  Also, I am willing to mail anything I have to someone else who is willing/able to take good photos if it will help.  Also, I suspect Ted (username brude on here) probably has a pretty extensive collection of titles that would apply to the first book.  My titles include:

Beastmaster (UK, Japanese w/ Ohrai art)
Barbarian Queen (I and II)
Naked Warrior
Clash of the Titans (east german)
Dinosaur Island
Deathstalker (I and II)
War of the Wizards
Mistress of the Apes
Sorceress
The Warrior and the Sorceress
Sword of the Barbarians
Sword of the Valiant
Knightriders
Conan
Red Sonja (French Canadian version titled as Kalidor)
Wizards (Style B)
Warriors of the Lost Kingdom
Knightriders
Ironmaster (Finish)
Centurion (Bisley art teaser)
Dragonslayer (UK quad)
Ultra Warrior
Krull (gottlieb video game poster)

The first book, i definitely understand.  But, some of the above may be more well suited for the second book.  The title of that one seems much more wide open.  Do you have a list of titles you are interest in for that one?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:28:19 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Oliade677

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 01:23:55 PM »
Sounds like an awesome project! I have some original poster artwork from 1960's MGM films. If that is of any interest, please let me know. Good luck!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
If you need anything from the UK just drop me a line. I find a good hi-res pic will be good enough for books.
It's more than a Hobby...

guest4931

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 11:21:42 PM »
I'm so impressed by what a friendly and helpful community this forum has!

Thanks so much Paul, Oliade and Kovacs!

I think it might be best if I set up a list for some of the posters I need images for. Do you think I should just do that here, or start a more aptly titled/focused thread?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 12:28:05 AM »
Hey Jamie, if I were you, I'd just add your poster image want list to this thread, since you want them for your book that's mentioned in your thread title.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 12:33:02 AM »
Hey Jamie, if I were you, I'd just add your poster image want list to this thread, since you want them for your book that's mentioned in your thread title.

yep

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4931

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 07:08:54 AM »
WANTED

If anyone is able to provide me with print-quality images for any of the posters below, I am more than happy to compensate you with a credit in the book, a copy of the book (if your image(s) are actually used in the book) and of course my undying gratitude.

I have most of the obvious sword and sorcery candidates, mostly what I'm having trouble finding are posters for the older mid-century epics and foreign versions of the posters.

Even if you don't have any of the listed posters, please check back as I'll be updating the list periodically.

Also, absolutely feel free to suggest any posters/movies I might have missed!

Please contact me at: artandmakingof@gmail.com

1. La Regina dei Barbari (1960) - AKA: The Huns, Queen of the Tartars, La Regina dei Tartari
From a brochure, I think.

2. La Regina dei Tartari (1960) - AKA: The Huns, Queen of the Tartars, La Regina dei Barbari

3. Solomon and Sheba

4. A Chinese Ghost Story

5 and 6. La Chair et le Sang (1985) AKA: Flesh and Blood

7. Carthage in Flames

8. Le Choc Des Titans
French poster for Clash of the Titans

guest4931

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 07:23:31 AM »
9. Ruslan and Ludmila (1972)

10, 11 and 12. The Long Ships

13. Son of Sinbad (1955) AKA Le Fils de Sinbad
There are tons of variants using the key art for this movie

14. Tunka el guerrero

guest4931

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 07:40:06 AM »
15. The Wonders of Aladdin

16. Raza De Guerreros
This one is a complete mystery - I think it's a Spanish film, but beyond that I can't find out anything about it!

17 and 18. The Black Rose AKA La Rosa Nera

19. Excalibur

guest4931

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »
20. The Princess Bride AKA La Storia Fantastica

21 and 22. Son of Sinbad

23. The Land of Faraway (1987) AKA Mio in the Land of Faraway

24. Atlantis The Lost Continent

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
Welcome to APF!  Lots of good people here.

I'm excited for your project.  Sniffer is a great publisher - they produce nice quality books that I've owned in other collecting areas over the years.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.