Author Topic: Poster Mountain vs Studio C?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Poster Mountain vs Studio C?
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:32:27 AM »
Hi! to all,

I'd just like to know if you all had a straight choice between Poster Mountain & Studio C who would you use and why? :-\

Greatly appreciate any feedback on this, the more the merrier. cheers

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: Poster Mountain vs Studio C?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 06:00:00 AM »
 Doh.gif Maybe, I did not put my question into the right kind of words, I probably should not have made it sound like a "vs" discussion, that was not my intention :-[

A better way of asking would have been, have any of you used either Poster Mountain &/or Studio C and what were your impressions of their work/service?

I'm assuming some people on the forums have used one of these before if not both, so just wanted some general feedback really, nothing important though was just something I was looking into recently :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:28:57 PM »
John, Ive used PM on a couple occasions (maybe 10 years ago) and their work is very good. Plus John Davis is really a nice guy, to boot! He gave me a tour of their facility and it was great to see the various posters that were all being worked on.

Their prices are higher, tho, compared to some others (Ive never used Studio C), so that's also something to keep in mind.

And Ive only ever heard and read good things about Studio C, too. I opted for PM because I could drop off and pick up my posters. Studio C would have been a much longer drive.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:51:12 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
John, Ive used PM on a couple occasions (maybe 10 years ago) and their work is very good. Plus John Davis is really a nice guy, to boot! He gave me a tour of their facility and it was great to see the various posters that were all being worked on.

Their prices are higher, tho, compared to some others (Ive never used Studio C), so that's also something to keep in mind.

Yes, I think I remember reading somewhere that Poster Mountain are pretty expensive compared to some other restorers.

A few dealers I've spoken to always seem to quickly point me in the direction of Studio C, but, I think if I was ever to use one of these then Poster Mountain would be the easier one for me to get a poster to from here in the UK.

I'm still only thinking about it at the moment anyway, I may get my Carry On Camping UK quad sorted one day and get all those tape stains sorted.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 12:55:42 PM »
Both would be the same ease of getting your posters to, John. PM is located in the North Hollywood area and Studio C is in the Oceanside area, which is a bit south, when heading towards San Diego.  :)

You might also want to consider Mario Cueva of Lumiere Poster Restoration, Fourth Cone (both also in southern Calif) or Backing to the Future (Dan Miles), who's in Canada. Their prices will be less than PM and they also do really fine work.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 01:01:11 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »
Both would be the same ease of getting your posters to, John. PM is located in the North Hollywood area and Studio C is in the Oceanside area, which is a bit south, when heading towards San Diego.  :)

You might also want to consider Mario Cueva of Lumiere Poster Restoration, Fourth Cone (both also in southern Calif) or Backing to the Future (Dan Miles), who's in Canada. Their prices will be less than PM and they also do really fine work.

Thanks! Jeff.

The reason I said Poster Mountain could be easier to get a poster to is because they have a partner over here (http://www.antikbar.co.uk/poster_restoration/) who deal with sending over your poster from the UK.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »
Ah right. The antikbar pair-up. Cool!

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
Hey John.

In case you didnt see this thread, here's one regarding Poster Mountain and their work and blog:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6816.0.html

And one other thread:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5333.0.html
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:36:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 06:32:24 AM »
Hey John.

In case you didnt see this thread, here's one regarding Poster Mountain and their work and blog:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6816.0.html

And one other thread:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5333.0.html

cheers Jeff.

Offline AntikBar

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »
HI, it's Kirill from AntikBar.co.uk  We teamed up with Poster Mountain after working with about a dozen of restorers in Europe and the US.  Poster Mountain have the best quality of restoration and linen backing and know paper extremely well.  They also document the restoration process as posters are photographed on arrival, after linen backing and then after restoration.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 12:20:36 PM »
First,  welcome1 back to APF, Kirill/AntikBar. Glad to have you and thanks for the added information about your partnership with Poster Mountain. Im sure our many UK members will be happy to know of this as well as knowing that you are also a member of the forum.

Enjoy it, too!

Jeff

-Jeff