Author Topic: April 2017  (Read 29431 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: April 2017
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
i dont actually have any idea how they got dunked? i have a feeling that the post office monkeys saw a plastic tube and thought................ "how can we ruin this?" and proceeded to throw it in the bath? at this point i hadnt bought too many posters on ebay, and hadnt sold at all, so didnt know how finicky you can be on there. the seller did an EXCELLENT job of packaging as the posters were also in a plastic bag inside the plastic tube. but all this did was keep in lots of water! the seller was also less than helpfull when i told him he just kept saying i had to make a claim, which was obviously BOLLO! anyway i gave up and left it, which i wouldnt these days. i would make the post office PAY FOR IT!
both posters still have a little rippling, but the salon kitty had some suface lift off when i seperated the posters mostly on the left column at the top and a couple of other smaller areas, but i guess its still worth the $50 i paid for it? as it dosnt seem to crop up much.

Man, considering what those posters went thru, Shawn, they sure look to be in good shape. Congrats again, and thanks for sharing as much as you knew about their dunking experience.

-Jeff

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
Chris
I like the Cure for Wellness poster, it is clean and simple. Is the movie any good? Its on my list....

Shawn
GOGO I missed you earlier, as always a nice haul!!! Send Betty over to me for authentication?

Charlie
I also love the Turkish Carrie, every needs one!!!
This Space For Rent!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »
T That is the complete set of Double Crowns and of course the Quad for Halloween. I am happy you found a set, and a bit jealous at the same time. Congrats, and the Local TCM Quad is a nice find also!!!

Glad to know I'm not missing anything.  It means I'm officially done with the title.  I needed those Marlers and the Halloween 2 B1 I got a month ago to complete the set.  Now I can cross it out.  Same with Texas Chainsaw.  I still needed the LC set and the quad, and now I have them.  In my book, Halloween and TCM are (along with Suspiria) the 3 most important horror flicks of the 70s. 

But there are still so many titles to complete.  Alright, back to work.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »
As well as The Exorcist. It was groundbreaking for so many reasons at that time, too.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 07:17:35 PM »
100% right.  Forgot about it.  I was never a real fan, I'm more into the slasher, but it was and still is groundbreaking.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »
Im a huge Exorcist fan. And it was sort of the flick that spawned all the later demon/devil/possession movies that were to follow. All are basic re-tells of the same story, for the most part.

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 07:24:11 PM »
To a smaller extent of influential 70s horrors, how about CARRIE and JAWS (if you count JAWS as horror, that is...)?
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »
I don't count Jaws as a horror flick.  It's a thriller with horror undertones.  Carrie is good but not groundbreaking.  And you're right, Jeff, Exorcist deals with the occult while TCM and Halloween are the slasher kind.  Two different threads.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
An arrival today.

An Australian OS for The Brothers Karamazov (1958)

I didnt realize from the seller's pic that this was done in hand lithography (almost identical in appearance and technique to stone lithography). So that was a neat, unexpected surprise. And it looks like it's as fresh as the day it was printed, too.

And even though the art and overall layout looks the same as that on the US OS, the AU art has been re-drawn and is not just "cut and pasted" from the US poster.

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 08:44:14 PM »

Appreciate it, Shawn and Chris.

The 8mm is super cool Shawn, a mix of the positive and negative image of Cage's face that doesn't completely come across in the posted image. Got it for $3 in Bruce's fixed price section.

The minimalism of the A Cure For Wellness design is what drew me to it Chris. In a world of 'floating head' new release designs, I loved the clean, sleek look of it. I haven't had a chance to see the film yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 02:20:53 AM »
Quite nice, JEFF. You've been coming up with some real jewels lately.

CHRIS, thanks for pointing me to Bruce's page for 8 MM (they're $5 now). But, alas, it was too late. I bought another elsewhere (for a bit more $$). Oh well.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 03:24:20 AM »
Thanks, Shawn. Its all about picking and choosing the stuff that "calls to me." No rush here. Adding one piece at a time (or maybe a few here and there).

And on the flipside, I really like your Turkish Carrie. The art is so different and unique. That's what will pull me in, too, many times.

Congrats on the pick up.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
Some lovely posters already for this month. Congrats guys.
Two purchases so far for me this month, here's one I bought last night from Bruce and co.

The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll Italian by Luigi Martinati

I've admired Martinati for a while now and seeing T's collection of them made me want to own one. As you well know some are verrrrrry expensive but this was a good price and the image kinda jumped out on me when I saw this one.

I'd take a pic of the second one if I could but the dam postman tried to deliver the package at 7am this morning when everyone was in bed! No knock at the door just chucked a card through and scarpered so that has to be redelivered.
Can't wait to share it with you guys.

Marc

vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »
Martinati is awesome.  Very nice, Marc.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 11:52:58 AM »
MARC---Stunning piece. Bravo.

JEFF -- While I have a Turkish CARRIE, that particular one shown this month was Chris' (Gingerman).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »
Great looking Martinati poster there, Marc. That imagery caught my eye, too, when I was looking thru the Italian posters. clap clap

And thanks for the correction, Shawn, re the Turkish Carrie poster. So a revised congrats to you again, Chris, on that pickup. Very nice.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:34:58 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2017, 12:49:59 AM »

Last, but not least. A big thanks to Matias for the Halloween ARG OS folded!!!

Glad you're happy with it Chris!
And I LOVE that scanners. Day glo rules!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2017, 01:15:02 AM »

I'd take a pic of the second one if I could but the dam postman tried to deliver the package at 7am this morning when everyone was in bed! No knock at the door just chucked a card through and scarpered so that has to be redelivered.
Can't wait to share it with you guys.

Marc

Ive had a similar thing happen a couple times, too, Marc.

One time, it was a Saturday, and I was home from work and knew a parcel would be arriving that day, per the USPS tracking info. I heard the mail carrier downstairs and when I opened my door, there was no parcel and in my mailbox was one of those slips they use, when delivery was attempted, but no one is home to receive it! The carrier had not even bothered to come up 2 small flights of stairs to see if I was home.

Luckily, I caught him down on the sidewalk, gave him the signed slip and got my parcel. When I told him I was home and asked why he didnt come up and knock, he claimed he had. That was totally false, but I was just happy to get my poster that day, rather than waiting another 24 hrs.

Here's hoping you get yours today, too, Marc (Sat). 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:29:55 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Posterfanatic84

• Beginner
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
Here's my contribution to April. I snagged this gem a week ago from emovieposters, with two more awesome additions coming this week. Since I'm a newbie at this my eyes were definitely starting to get bigger than my wallet. I've decided to collect the "Friday the 13th" series in an attempt to keep myself from going crazy. I had to start with this iconic image from the series. I always loved part 8 when I was a kid, so it was fitting for it to be my first poster. If anyone has tabs on an original copy of the first and second film, please let me know.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2017, 05:04:40 PM »
Nice one, PF.

Was this poster recalled? I seem to remember reading something about that?

-Jeff

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »
Hi,

It has been a long time since I posted any pictures, but I recently acquired some new items:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:05:52 PM by mattsw »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2017, 07:06:38 PM »

that's a great Norma Desmond card.. I thought she was dead.....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Posterfanatic84

• Beginner
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
Nice one, PF.

Was this poster recalled? I seem to remember reading something about that?

Jeff,
That's what I read too. That was the biggest reason why I snatched it up while I could. I read that apparently some New York officials weren't pleased with the artwork, so it was pulled and replaced with something different. I love this poster, and perfectly represents the tongue-in-cheek attitude of the series. I just snagged a part 3 poster! Just waiting for it to arrive.     

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
Hey Joe... sounds right... and I was trying to remember too, if it had something to do with the copyrighted saying of "I Love NY" and whether they got permission to use that for the artwork.

And Matt... those Swanson pieces are killer!! I think she's awesome and they look in great shape, too. Congrats on picking those up. clap clap

-Jeff

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
Thanks Jeff.