Author Topic: Shrink Wrap Framing  (Read 6775 times)

Offline Communicationsguy

• Beginner
Shrink Wrap Framing
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
The dilemma typically facing poster collectors is how to display them properly and not break the bank. I have hundreds of pieces in my collection, so I decided shrink wrap framing was the best solution for me, especially for large posters like three sheets, subway posters, French 1 panels and Italian 2 panels.

To shrink wrap a poster we secure it to a heavy cardboard board with small pieces of tape or a spot of glue in the top corners. We than put the poster board in a bag made of thin plastic film. The film is than melted with a heat gun until it is stretched air tight. The finished product is a light, durable framed poster that presents very well on a wall. The value and integrity of the poster is preserved and it is protected against dust and dirt. If at any time in the future you want to sell the poster you can simply cut the plastic, remove the poster and roll it with no leftover wood, metal and glass.

Of course there is no UV protection, but I take care to never hang my posters in direct sunlight. Shrink wrapping is a fraction of the cost of traditional framing so you can shrink wrap a poster that isn't extremely valuable at an affordable price.

Now as far as I know, we are the only firm in Canada, and possibly North America to offer shrink wrap framing. In fact, just before Christmas a client had us shrink wrap two 3 sheets and he drove up from Maryland to the Greater Toronto Area to pick them up.

I posted some of the pieces in my personal collection on my Face Book page, check them out.
https://www.facebook.com/BackingToTheFuture/

Please email me if you have any questions.
Cheers, Dan Miles, Backingtothefuture
backingtothefuture@gmail.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Shrink Wrap Framing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
Sounds like an interesting and cost effective way to be able to both store and display posters, Dan.

In reading your post, a couple questions popped to mind.

First, you mention using tape or a "spot of glue" to secure the poster. What kind of tape is this? Archival? And same with the glue? Is this easily removable or water based? Is there any chance it could stain the posters over time?

And the other is about the board itself, used to back the posters. Is it acid free of buffered at all?

Thanks again!  :D

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:30:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Communicationsguy

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
Hey Jeff,

if the poster is linen backed the glue never touches the actually poster, it is a drop in the top corners on the canvas itself. For non-linen backed posters, the double sided tape is archival.

The board is called three-wall cardboard which is about a half an inch thick. It is not acid free, but for linen backed posters there is the canvas buffer... for non backed posters, a piece of acid free form core or Japanese MASA paper could be used as a buffer.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers, Dan Miles, Backingtothefuture.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
Thanks for the info, Dan. Much appreciated.

-Jeff