Author Topic: revenge of the jedi - no date fake?  (Read 3161 times)

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
revenge of the jedi - no date fake?
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:08:21 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revenge-of-the-Jedi-teaser-one-sheet-Poster-1982-NO-DATE-version-/292071622747?hash=item4400d3485b:g:djQAAOSwuLZY3THq

i saw this on the bay today and to me the colours look all wrong, sorry for outing it, but i strongly think this is a fake...

Paul
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:27:06 PM by erik1925 »

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
Re: revenge of the jedi - no date fake?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 06:54:55 AM »
Clearly a knock off, seen a few of these now
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Saw

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 01:10:45 AM »
I thought the "£9.99" sticker was a good indication too lol

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 01:14:55 AM »
And the paper looks unusually shiny, too.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »
it looks fake to me also, but it could actually be a commercial reprint, rather than a bootleg, hence the 9.99 sticker
did they do fanclub posters of this one also?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
Yes def fake>The 20th century logo looks way too dark.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 11:22:56 AM »
And the white border is too wide.  Definitely.

T
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:38:55 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 10:10:10 AM »
Definite fake.  Title color gradient is WAY off, the copyright line in the lower left and 20thCF logo in the lower right are both way too dark, and there is almost no purple/blue in the Luke/Vadar fight.  Here's a crop of an original (thanks Dave!) for comparison to the eBay poster:

EBAY

ORIGINAL

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 11:33:59 AM »
its got a couple of bids, i have reported it to ebay, but no doubt they will do zilch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »
Although this one looks newer there actually is a bootleg for the no date but it is rare than the real thing. I think I may have run across than two or three in decades. The bootleg appears the same as this though with darker colors. As noted in the corner shots from Matt the logo should be a lighter blue.

For all things Star Wars though there have been a series of bootlegs making the rounds in the last year. They appear to be mostly the more sought after posters like the second advance, first print style A, etc. These are very very hard to identify unless you get close up pictures of say the GAU logo or similar where you can see the spray pattern from the printer as opposed to the cleaner printing from the offset process. Once in hand though these are easy to identify as the paper is a completely wrong heavier coated paper, it does look convincing in pics though, and you can actually smell the coatings, etc. very strongly. I have not run into a lot of these but have run into the second advance, style A first print PG version, Style C and ESB style A.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
its got a couple of bids, i have reported it to ebay, but no doubt they will do zilch!

realistically, ebay is in a hard place with posters and here's why - as Dale noted in a post last week, the average person is just looking for a poster. They have no idea what is the difference between an original and a repro, a bootleg, a reprint, a fanclub poster etc.
If they are only looking for an authentic theatrical poster -they need some education and factually, there's only so much anyone can do about that. You can lead a horse to water

but here's the issue for ebay - a poster is a poster is a poster
they have no way of understanding what the listing is supposed to be. No expertise in identifying fakes (or bootlegs or fanclub posters or authorized reprints etc).
so what can they do?
the person selling may not even know the difference, or if they do - they might not know they have a repro

this is of course, one reason why you buy from people who identify material properly (and why all dealers should absolutely be able to properly identify any item they are selling, without fail). But like all hobbies, there is a learning curve for all collectors. You aren't born with this data in your head.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »
I miss the early days of eBay when you could actually contact a buyer to inform them that a specific seller is a crook.  Egbert and Loce would be out of business.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 06:11:07 PM »
I miss the early days of eBay when you could actually contact a buyer to inform them that a specific seller is a crook.  Egbert and Loce would be out of business.

T

that was a two-sided coin. but the better side of the coin was what you say.
the other side was people who maliciously reported stuff to ebay for no reason other than to create a problem for you

-------

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »
Finished at £224.

Couldn't agree more about the early days of eBay. Was also good for checking on people shill bidding, can still do it with new system just harder

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
i see there was a retracted bid - that bidder must have realised that it wasn't the real deal - waste of 224 quid for the winning bidder
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)