Author Topic: How to Hang a Poster  (Read 5514 times)

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
How to Hang a Poster
« on: March 24, 2017, 07:12:59 PM »
I bought a 27x41 Spotlight frame.  It is the kind where the edges snap forward to allow changing posters.  I had put my only poster in it, which was Moonraker.  I just bought two more posters.  Old folded ones from the 1940's.  They are much thinner than the Moonraker poster, and a great deal more fragile.  The way I put up Moonraker was to have the edge open, someone place the poster against the back of the frame and hold it while I slipped the plexiglass over it and then snapped the edges back down.  The two new posters seem a little weak to hold them like that while the plexiglass is put over them.  Should I lay the backing on a table, put the poster on top of the backing, then the plexiglass, and then lift the whole thing into the frame and snap down the edges?  I am worried about damaging the poster.

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: How to Hang a Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:25:55 PM »
Hi Matthew,

A bit confused.  The standard Spotlight configuration is 2 sheets of PET-G.  One goes in front of the poster and one behind.  This sandwiches the poster tightly between the two and secures it.

If you want to use plexiglass, you would need to add a backer board, such as thin foam core behind the poster.  In addition, you need to have the frame cut differently to compensate for the added thickness.  Spotlight can do that for you if you tell them when ordering.

At any rate, the poster needs to be held away from the wall, either by the PET-G or a backing board.  I find that the stock PET-G is sufficient to hold the poster.  I have even created light boxes using the spotlight frame for double sided posters and it works fine.

I would also be concerned if you are placing the poster directly against the frame, that the ridges on the edges would damage the poster
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:27:02 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »
Agree with Jay.  Sandwich the poster between the two and then grab the whole thing and place it in the frame whcih should already be mounted. You can even put some bits of clear tape around the crust of the sandwich to hold it together since the aluminum part of the frame will hide it anyways.  if its up high ask for help even if only to hold the ladder. Most importantly watch the sharp edges of the aluminum.  And second most important - take pics!

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
I'm sorry.  I think I was throwing around the plexiglass term a little loosely.  I am using the material that came with the frame.  One is clear both sides; one is clear one and opaque the other for anti-glare (I like that one), and one is opaque both sides which I am using as the backing. I will try the sandwich approach tomorrow, and I might do the little bit of taping as suggested.

I was surprised when I opened them yesterday as to how delicate the paper was.  The Moonraker poster is much thicker stock, as are some of the modern posters I have from the 1980s.  I bought Moonraker on Heritage by mistake some years ago (I thought I was bidding on a lobby card --- I collect those).  Recently I have paid more attention to posters for sale on Emovieposter.  So, I bought the 27x41 frame and for the time being put Moonraker in.  Then, I bought these two posters that I got in the mail yesterday from Emovieposter.  Not famous films, but I just liked the posters.  I enjoyed just looking at the art on them when  I laid them flat on the bed yesterday.  Very impressive how the artist balanced everything and made them so interesting to look at all over.  Then, when I was finished looking at the first one I went to fold it back up and quickly realized I should have paid more attention to how I unfolded it because the paper was really delicate and refolding had to be gentle and exactly the way it had been folded.  Took some time but I got it. 

I will be very careful tomorrow and hopefully snap some good pictures.

Thanks so much for the advice!
Matthew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:30:32 PM »
Matt,

What are the titles of the two 1940s posters that you picked up?

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
The opaque one has a film you can peel off... There should be instructions with the frame.  If you ever scratch one side you can always use this one - peel off the layer and you've got a new inlay you can use :)

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
Thank you everyone for locking Matt on!!!!

As everyone said Matt, just sandwich the poster in between the two overlays and then place it in the frame that is secured to the wall. The tape is a great idea because the overlays and posters can slip and that's how damage can occur. Best to have someone help you but it can be done alone as I do it all the time; just be careful and pinch the sandwich together tight and don't let up pressure until you have all edges of the sandwich in the frame.

You have to be sure the sandwich is completely in the frame before you start closing the sides. I usually push in and up on the sandwich and close the top first and then make sure the left side of the sandwich is completely in the frame and close the left side and so on.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry
www.SpotlightDisplays.com

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  I changed the poster today (by myself).  It took a little doing to keep the overlays together, but after the 2nd try I got it in.  When I also first put it in and clamped down on the top there was a "bend" which told me that it was not all the way in as it should be.  I redid it and it seemed to help.

The two posters I got from emovieposter were "Trade Winds" and "Meet Me on Broadway".  I have to confess that I have not seen either film, or even heard of them prior to seeing the poster.  But, I liked the art of the posters so I bid.  I was a little worried about "Trade Winds" as the description mentioned moisture damage, but I studied the enlarged scan very carefully and could not see any such damage.  Now that I have it in my hands I still don't see it.  I am glad because discoloration would have been bad.  I am not too upset by some tears or bits of paper loss around the edges, and even paper loss at the folds.  I am less likely to want a poster that has even slight moisture damage discoloration (not sure why but I just don't like the sound of it).  I even bid on a poster that had a pencil mark on the stars face, but I lost that bid.  Too bad because I liked the art of that one as well. 

Matthew