Author Topic: John Carpenter UK Quads....  (Read 4177 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
John Carpenter UK Quads....
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:21:41 PM »
Hey!

Just wondered if any of you have any idea of the rareness/value of the UK Quad's for John Carpenter's cult classics "Big Trouble In Little China" & "They Live"

Cheers :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: John Carpenter UK Quads....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:30:38 PM »

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
It is indeed, I've actually seen that price on the site, but, that was sold way back in 2001 so I'd like to think that the price is a bit better nowadays.

and this is the one for BTILC:

https://www.filmonpaper.com/site/media/2011/05/BigTroubleinLittleChina_quad_UK_Bysouth-1.jpg

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »
It is indeed, I've actually seen that price on the site, but, that was sold way back in 2001 so I'd like to think that the price is a bit better nowadays.

and this is the one for BTILC:

https://www.filmonpaper.com/site/media/2011/05/BigTroubleinLittleChina_quad_UK_Bysouth-1.jpg

LOVE THAT quad, John. And leave it to Ed to have that great, rolled copy.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »
LOVE THAT quad, John. And leave it to Ed to have that great, rolled copy.  thumbup

Me to, a personal favourite, here's mine, sorry! if the picture is not the best, it's on my wall, also the best poster I own condition-wise, as mint as your ever likely to get I'd say.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »
I think They Live goes for around £80 - £120 depending on condition...more for a rolled copy.

A folded Big Trouble went for £360 a couple of weeks ago on ebay. Again, a decent amount more for a rolled one I suspect?

EDIT - sorry, that picture is hard to see unless you have amazing eyesight! Here is a link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252793894025

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:21:48 PM by erik1925 »

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
I think They Live goes for around £80 - £120 depending on condition...more for a rolled copy.

A folded Big Trouble went for £360 a couple of weeks ago on ebay. Again, a decent amount more for a rolled one I suspect?

My poster for "They Live" is a rolled one, only trouble with this poster is it seems to suffer from creases due to the paper quality.

I did see that BTILC quad sell on ebay, I'd like to think going by that a mint rolled condition could reach £500-600 on a really good day, it's a fantastic quad IMO and loads of people seem to like the film hence it's cult status.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
Yep, my favourite art for the film and rolled ones aren't very common (the folded ones don't seem to pop up that much either these days), so on the right day, £500+ for a rolled doesn't seem too unrealistic to me based on that ebay sale for a folded.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Agree with everything you said there Tob.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »
I think it is very hard to set a value to anything collectibles.  I bought a Big Trouble quad a few years ago for $150 USD. I also sold a Pumpkinhead VHS poster for around 30 bucks that sold for 150 the week before.  Bidding wars and egos play a big part in driving some of these prices up.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
I think it is very hard to set a value to anything collectibles.  I bought a Big Trouble quad a few years ago for $150 USD. I also sold a Pumpkinhead VHS poster for around 30 bucks that sold for 150 the week before.  Bidding wars and egos play a big part in driving some of these prices up.

Your quite right CJ, you can never be 100% sure with a value on any collectable, at the end of the day it's like they always say with any item

"it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it"

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 03:44:18 PM »
FWIW I had a Big Trouble folded quad in NM condition that I put on eBay a couple years ago at $500.  I had three people sending me messages on it right away and it sold within a day.  And it sold to someone who lives in San Francisco so that was even more fitting.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 03:40:31 AM »
FWIW I had a Big Trouble folded quad in NM condition that I put on eBay a couple years ago at $500.  I had three people sending me messages on it right away and it sold within a day.  And it sold to someone who lives in San Francisco so that was even more fitting.

It certainly appears to be a very popular quad that's for sure, it already seems a pretty hard quad to find especially in nice condition and certainly seems to be one of the rarer quads from the 80's, even just from looking on dealer sites often it does not pop up all that much at all, so certainly a keeper this one (I love the film and quad artwork anyway) as you'd think the value of this quad is only going to continue going up over the next few years as it's for such a cult movie.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
80's titles in general are on fire right now, and quads (or INTL one sheets) with unique art to the US one-sheet are bringing a premium. I dont think you are going to see that trend end anytime soon.

Off the top of my head, these tend to be the big boys:

Terminator, BTILT, They Live, The Thing, Escape from NY, Nightmare OES, Evil Dead, Bueller, Lost Boys

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:13:56 AM »
80's titles in general are on fire right now, and quads (or INTL one sheets) with unique art to the US one-sheet are bringing a premium. I dont think you are going to see that trend end anytime soon.

Off the top of my head, these tend to be the big boys:

Terminator, BTILT, They Live, The Thing, Escape from NY, Nightmare OES, Evil Dead, Bueller, Lost Boys

I agree with you, I'm also noticing some 80's posters especially UK quads doing very well indeed, like for some of those titles you've mentioned in particular.

Some of the quads for these films are becoming harder & harder to find in "excellent condition" it's especially hard to find them anywhere in rolled condition, also many of these 80's quads seem to be printed on that shiny type of paper often with a black/dark background so these posters nearly always show a lot of handling wear unless you get really lucky, I also feel because of the shiny dark paper these truly are posters that are worth finding in rolled condition because the folds on some of these type of quads can let the poster down a fair bit sometimes, where as for older posters printed on better quality (not shiny) paper the folds hardly notice and often add to the charm/character of the poster anyway.

Trouble is I think most people who have any of these 80's posters in excellent rolled condition naturally want to keep hold of them as you'd expect, hence why it's so very rare they show up :'(