Author Topic: My Carry On collection...  (Read 20736 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: My Carry On collection...
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2017, 03:34:20 AM »
Absolutely.  Certainly one of the better CO posters, IMO.

Nice collection, T1. 

Likey.jpg

Appreciate that Neo, glad you like the collection.

I agree with you that the Cruising artwork is certainly up there with the best of all the Carry On posters, I do have other favourites like Screaming as well, but, as I said before I think the nice thing about the Cruising artwork is it's so unique compared to all the other Carry On posters, I only got hold of the Cruising poster this week and I think I like it even more than I thought I would, in other words it looks even better in the flesh and fantastic when framed. :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2017, 03:54:48 AM »
Hey John.

In looking close, I really think the 2 main images are different and not exact copies of each other. For example, look at the tassels on the top of the fez hat, how they lay on each image (not the same), and the shading/highlights on the hat and face, the shape of the cuff links etc.

Then quad art looks more refined, to me. Look at the left hand, to the left of the word "On." On the quad, you see a bit of the skin of his wrist, and on the OS, it's all covered over, with gray.

Stuff like that....

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2017, 05:05:39 AM »
Hey John.

In looking close, I really think the 2 main images are different and not exact copies of each other. For example, look at the tassels on the top of the fez hat, how they lay on each image (not the same), and the shading/highlights on the hat and face, the shape of the cuff links etc.

Then quad art looks more refined, to me. Look at the left hand, to the left of the word "On." On the quad, you see a bit of the skin of his wrist, and on the OS, it's all covered over, with gray.

Stuff like that....

Just had a closer look with the images side by side, I can see what you mean now :-[ the tassels on the hat do look totally different, well spotted Jeff.

One thing I can say is that the quad is 100% Chantrell work and even has his name on the poster, but, unless I'm missing it? I can't see it on the one sheet, now that does not mean it's not Chantrell's work of course but, certainly makes you wonder, maybe (only guessing) Chantrell did a few different sketches and used this slightly different looking one for the one sheet, but, your guess is as good as mine.

If you look here: http://www.originalposter.co.uk/fulldetails.asp?rid=6527

you will see they are still saying Chantrell is the artist.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
Very cool, John.

Sounds like Chantrell did a couple versions and both were used for the poster campaign.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »
Hi! to all,

Little update of sorts on my collection, as I'm sure most of you will know only to well it can be a very expensive hobby/interest collecting film posters so at the moment I'm trying hard to save up some money so I can go out and find my next poster.

Although I always keep an eye out for certain "Carry On" posters I'm actually thinking of going for something different next time out to mix things up a little, not decided on what just yet though, so much to choose from, all I will say is I'm 99% sure it will be a UK quad poster.

In the meantime I've treated myself to a book (paperback) and have attached a picture of it, it's an older book but, I've heard good things about it, so hopefully I'll learn plenty from it, fingers crossed ;) Just to add, I've not got the book yet, only just ordered it online today!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:17:23 AM by Test1 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2017, 02:23:48 PM »
sent you a message

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
Hi! to all,

Little update of sorts on my collection, as I'm sure most of you will know only to well it can be a very expensive hobby/interest collecting film posters so at the moment I'm trying hard to save up some money so I can go out and find my next poster.

Although I always keep an eye out for certain "Carry On" posters I'm actually thinking of going for something different next time out to mix things up a little, not decided on what just yet though, so much to choose from, all I will say is I'm 99% sure it will be a UK quad poster.

In the meantime I've treated myself to a book (paperback) and have attached a picture of it, it's an older book but, I've heard good things about it, so hopefully I'll learn plenty from it, fingers crossed ;) Just to add, I've not got the book yet, only just ordered it online today!

John,

This is a fabulous book, I have a copy and it's a wonderful history on the print companies, artists and posters. Easily the best poster book from the UK in my opinion and one of the best worldwide.

I've had some good contact with the author Sim. He's helped me a few times with dating posters and bought a few pieces of off me. He's got a fabulous poster collection as you'll see by reading the book.

Enjoy it.

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »

John,

This is a fabulous book, I have a copy and it's a wonderful history on the print companies, artists and posters. Easily the best poster book from the UK in my opinion and one of the best worldwide.

I've had some good contact with the author Sim. He's helped me a few times with dating posters and bought a few pieces of off me. He's got a fabulous poster collection as you'll see by reading the book.

Enjoy it.

Marc

That sounds very promising Marc, thumbsup.gif already looking like a good buy for me, anything that helps me learn a little more about all these posters, especially British ones which are the main ones I collect can only be a good thing, I'm really looking forward to having good read of the book.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2017, 05:14:52 PM »
damn. you two just talked me into finding the book

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2017, 02:48:18 AM »
damn. you two just talked me into finding the book

Going by all I've read up on the book it should be good investment mate, so good luck with it if you also pick up a copy 8)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
Going by all I've read up on the book it should be good investment mate, so good luck with it if you also pick up a copy 8)

Haha Rich sorry....

As i said it's a brilliant book full of images and great history of the UK poster industry and artists.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2017, 01:59:50 AM »
The British Film Posters book is excellent, choc full of great colour illustrations, background history and artist biographies.  Anyone who buys it will not be disappointed!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2017, 03:50:14 AM »
The British Film Posters book is excellent, choc full of great colour illustrations, background history and artist biographies.  Anyone who buys it will not be disappointed!

The more & more I hear about this book the more excited I'm getting about it's arrival next week, really good to know so many people are positive about the book. :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »
The more & more I hear about this book the more excited I'm getting about it's arrival next week, really good to know so many people are positive about the book. :)

John, did the book arrive safe n sound and meet all your expectations? How's it look?

Got a mini review, maybe?  :D

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2017, 05:12:32 AM »
John, did the book arrive safe n sound and meet all your expectations? How's it look?

Got a mini review, maybe?  :D

Hey! Jeff,

Yes, the book did arrive safely, I have flicked through the book a few times but, have not had a "proper" read of it all yet, I would not want to try and review the book overall just yet, but, I can say that it certainly has some high quality pictures taken of many well known UK quads etc. :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »
Hey! Jeff,

Yes, the book did arrive safely, I have flicked through the book a few times but, have not had a "proper" read of it all yet, I would not want to try and review the book overall just yet, but, I can say that it certainly has some high quality pictures taken of many well known UK quads etc. :)

Thanks, John. That was more the overall kind of review I was hoping for -- quality of the book, the pictures- clarity and color reproduction, paper used, that kind of thing.

-Jeff

Offline Under The Floorboards

• Beginner
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »
Hi John. Have to share this with you. Only just managed to get a Carry on Cowboy poster (which is in latest acquisitions) but also found this, artwork used for a VHS cover.
Kind of a one off thing. I used to work as a bench planner/camera operator years back and this would be used pre-press to create films for printing plates. Great find for me! Takes me right back:

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 08:13:16 PM »
Really cool original design.  Is it a painting with pasteovers?

Offline Under The Floorboards

• Beginner
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2018, 03:01:06 AM »
The clear overlays are painted, text that is. The saloon doors look had drawn, marker pens, very rough looking but I guess good enough for the VHS cover.
People are cutouts, photographic. Have a larger version of tis too so not exactly sure how it all fits together. The larger one could be for scanning purposes and this smaller one for position.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
Thanks for letting me know how the art/design was created!

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »
Hi John. Have to share this with you. Only just managed to get a Carry on Cowboy poster (which is in latest acquisitions) but also found this, artwork used for a VHS cover.
Kind of a one off thing. I used to work as a bench planner/camera operator years back and this would be used pre-press to create films for printing plates. Great find for me! Takes me right back:

Very sorry for not seeing your post sooner, I've been very quiet on the forums for the last few months or more as I've gone through a period of not buying any posters, I still always keep my open though for any movie posters that may tempt me to start buying again, but, for now I'm quite content with the posters I already own which is why I've not been around much on these forums as I've had no new posters to show.

Anyway, I really like your post/picture, always good to hear from other "Carry On" fans, I've actually seen the real poster with this Cowboy art on it, here:

http://www.moviepostermem.com/Carry-On-Cowboy-Poster/58974

cheers

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2018, 02:12:04 PM »
Hi! to all :)

It was always going to take a special poster to come along for me to get back to my Carry On collection as I was pretty content with what I owned already in the Carry On genre of posters, however a surprise opportunity come my way just the other day to pick up one of the holy grails of the series, for those that know their Carry On posters this poster will need no introduction, but, for those of you not so up on Carry On posters I can tell you that there is only one UK Quad (the withdrawn Carry On Cleo) that is rarer than this one, the UK Quad is for none other than "Carry On Cabby" from 1963.

The poster is made even more collectable by the fact that the artwork was done by the great Tom Chantrell and in fact it was the first Carry On Quad that he did, his name is also on this Quad (next to the back wheel).

You no doubt would have to be a Carry On fan to appreciate this poster as much as me, but, believe me when I say it's a special one, I know of only one other on the market at this time and it's been linen backed and IMO looks off somehow, and as someone who does not go near linen backed posters anyway I can say that I was thrilled to find this/my Cabby Quad in original/unrestored condition and for a poster of it's age I feel it looks in fine shape.

Anyway, enough talk, I hope you all like it cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »
Congrats on snagging one of your grails, Test!

I dont think Ive seen any of this series of movies before, but seeing your collection has me curious, so I will be hunting them down.

And Chantrell did an awesome job on this quad. He certainly got the right feel for the babes around that auto.  :D

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
Wait a minute!  Is this the original Cannonball Run? Really colorful and well designed image, Test!  It has that joyous, raucous feel that reminded me of the Burt Reynolds movie.
Must be on my mind, eh?   Okie

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2018, 03:14:08 AM »
Congrats on snagging one of your grails, Test!

I dont think Ive seen any of this series of movies before, but seeing your collection has me curious, so I will be hunting them down.

And Chantrell did an awesome job on this quad. He certainly got the right feel for the babes around that auto.  :D

Appreciate that Jeff thumbsup.gif

Yes, the fact that the Carry On series is so popular (especially in the UK) and the famous Chantrell did the artwork for this Quad and it having such a sexy look to it with the leggy babes helps to make it one of the most sought after of the entire series, along with all these things and the fact it's so rare it also makes it very expensive if you are lucky enough to come across one, to date this is the single most expensive poster I've bought and that won't change in a hurry, if ever!

As for watching the films Jeff, you could do a lot worse than to start with this one "Cabby" which was the 7th film in the series, the later films were more in your face with the saucy lines/humour etc. but, Cabby is a favourite of many Carry On fans and has a much more innocent warm feeling compared to later films in the series with a nice story to back it up. Other than that I'd say try and watch Carry On Screaming which spoofs the Hammer Horror series and is considered one of the genuine classics in the Carry On series :)