Author Topic: My Carry On collection...  (Read 20724 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: My Carry On collection...
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 04:55:05 AM »
Thanks for even that little tidbit of known info, John. It's a start and now the fun can begin.  sherlockholmes.gif

It would certainly be interesting to find out if this artist "B.E." actually done any other film posters or if this one for "They Live" is just a one off job, I have looked before online but never found anything at all on the artist, in fact I think it's fairly safe to say that if it weren't for initials featured on the poster no one would know anything about the artist involved at all, at least with the initials there we have something to go on.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
I might be dreaming, but I think I recall someone else mentioning a quad they had, that also was signed with these same initials. I can't say for sure, tho.  dontknow.gif

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:43:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 01:44:12 PM »
John, I was thinking of this thread/quad that has other unknown artist's initials  Doh.gif:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3363.0.html

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 03:38:52 AM »
I think these initials will probably remain a mystery Jeff, I might try and have another browse around the net, but, I don't expect to find anything on this "B.E" person, I of course will post here if I do manage to find anything new. :)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 06:46:40 AM »
Screaming, Cowboy and I think Jack as well always seem to do really well when they become available.  I did contemplate starting a Carry on Collection but I cant justify buying those whilst still
missing pieces from other things I'm collecting.

What Carry ons are you missing if I may ask?

Best
Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
Screaming, Cowboy and I think Jack as well always seem to do really well when they become available.  I did contemplate starting a Carry on Collection but I cant justify buying those whilst still
missing pieces from other things I'm collecting.

What Carry ons are you missing if I may ask?

Best
Marc

Hey! Marc,

Screaming, was always top priority for me when I started buying Carry On posters, I never dreamed I'd own it though as it's always so expensive, depending on condition and where your buying it from it's often priced between £1000-1500 the thing with this one is a lot of people also like this for the Hammer film connection as well which the film is spoofing.

Cowboy, I'm pretty happy/content with the one sheet for this one, which IMO is a "rare" case where the art on the one sheet is just as good if not better than the quad.

Jack, your quite correct is another expensive one often priced £800 or above, I've thought about picking this one up, but, have not so far..

Other than that only one I'd be tempted to buy is the quad for Carry On Spying, but, sadly it's another hard to find one, even harder to find than the ones you've mentioned, especially in good un-backed condition, this one is popular because it's spoofing James Bond, I can't see me ever being able to afford this one, unless I settled for one with lots of condition problems, something I probably would not want to do.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
Another Carry On poster I have, by the artist Putzu, this was IMO for the last great! Carry On film..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »
John, dont know if you are watching but a CARRY ON SPYING UK OS just sold on Heritage for $1015.75, with the bp.

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
John, dont know if you are watching but a CARRY ON SPYING UK OS just sold on Heritage for $1015.75, with the bp.

No I was not watching that Jeff, the One Sheet is ok, but, for me the Quad artwork is miles ahead on this one.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 03:27:37 AM »
@Jeff

A little update for you on that unknown They Live artist, I asked Eddie about it as it's one in his collection as well, and here is his reply:

"Nope, it’s a total mystery and one that’s bugged me for years. Even my friend Sim Branaghan, arguably the greatest British poster expert, has no idea who the initials belong to. I’ll be sure to update this if I ever find out!"

So, I think this one really will forever remain a mystery by the look of things.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
My latest purchase, pretty nice condition for a poster that's 55 years old faint2.gif this is one of the rarest UK Carry On quads, it's from 1962 and this was the first Carry On film to be made in colour which for me adds even more to this already highly collectable poster, hope you all like it..

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 11:20:55 AM »

That's an incredible price for that poster. I've sold two of those at nowhere near that price. Kudos to Heritage.

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
My latest purchase, pretty nice condition for a poster that's 55 years old faint2.gif this is one of the rarest UK Carry On quads, it's from 1962 and this was the first Carry On film to be made in colour which for me adds even more to this already highly collectable poster, hope you all like it..

That's a beauty John and hard to find.

Congrats
Marc

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
That's a beauty John and hard to find.

Congrats
Marc

Thanks! for the congrats Marc, thumbsup.gif your right about it being hard to find especially in unrestored/original condition, the only other ones I've seen for sale that look any good are ones already linen backed which is a big no, no for me, so truly delighted to find this one as you can imagine.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
That's an incredible price for that poster. I've sold two of those at nowhere near that price. Kudos to Heritage.

Hey! Marc,

Would you agree with me that the much rarer quad is miles ahead in terms of the artwork? personally the one sheet does not do a lot for me, the quad however is fantastic, but, so hard to find in good condition, I've seen a couple and even been offered one before but the condition was just to far gone and had to many problems, paper loss and tape stains being the biggest issue.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »
This is really quite the looker, John. Congrats on finding and adding this to your collection.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »
This is really quite the looker, John. Congrats on finding and adding this to your collection.  thumbup

Cheers! Jeff. :)

One thing nice about this one is it's different to almost all the other Carry On quad posters in that normally you get the film characters/stars featured on the poster, here as you can see it's just their names and a perfectly fitting picture/drawing to go along with the film title, so a really unique Carry On quad I feel.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:09:30 PM by Test1 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »
I dont think the pretty mermaid needs any companions, either.  :D

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »

Very good, Jeff. ;D

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »
Hey! Marc,

Would you agree with me that the much rarer quad is miles ahead in terms of the artwork? personally the one sheet does not do a lot for me, the quad however is fantastic, but, so hard to find in good condition, I've seen a couple and even been offered one before but the condition was just to far gone and had to many problems, paper loss and tape stains being the biggest issue.

John,

I totally agree. The UK quad for Spying is wayyyyyyy better than the US 1sheet. How can you not like Kenneth Williams in a Bond pose a la Connery.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 03:42:05 AM »
John,

I totally agree. The UK quad for Spying is wayyyyyyy better than the US 1sheet. How can you not like Kenneth Williams in a Bond pose a la Connery.

Exactly! the UK quad is the only way to go if you want to own the best poster for this film.

(I've attached a photo of this quad for anyone that's not seen it, hopefully one day I may find one in good enough condition to add to my collection)

I think the characters on this quad look amazing and as usual with Chantrell artwork they look almost like photos of the stars rather than drawings as they just look so realistic.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2017, 12:51:21 PM »
John, any idea who did the art for UK OS? When closely looking at the 2 center characters, it appears that the one on the one sheet has been redrawn, with the barrel of his gun also bent upward. What do you think?

And if so, I wonder why another artist might have been used?

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2017, 03:23:39 PM »

Absolutely.  Certainly one of the better CO posters, IMO.

Nice collection, T1. 

Likey.jpg

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »
@Jeff

A little update for you on that unknown They Live artist, I asked Eddie about it as it's one in his collection as well, and here is his reply:

"Nope, it’s a total mystery and one that’s bugged me for years. Even my friend Sim Branaghan, arguably the greatest British poster expert, has no idea who the initials belong to. I’ll be sure to update this if I ever find out!"

So, I think this one really will forever remain a mystery by the look of things.

Sounds like it would be the bee's knees to have Sim chime in here now and then. Would be great to have the best known UK poster expert as part of the APF family.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2017, 03:24:38 AM »
John, any idea who did the art for UK OS? When closely looking at the 2 center characters, it appears that the one on the one sheet has been redrawn, with the barrel of his gun also bent upward. What do you think?

And if so, I wonder why another artist might have been used?

As far as I know and can see it's still the same picture of Kenneth Williams as the quad so it's still Chantrell's work, but, whether the bent gun was done by Chantrell or just edited by another artist I have no idea, I have heard the reason why it was done though, and that is because they thought the straight gun was to close to copying 007 Bond and I think they got into trouble over it, hence why you have this bent gun version on the one sheet instead.