Author Topic: Fun poster, nasty tape residue....  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Fun poster, nasty tape residue....
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
Hi!

I was looking for advice on this UK quad poster for Carry On Camping, overall it's in very nice condition and quite rare to find it in rolled condition, but, sadly as your be able to see in the attachment it has some nasty tape residue/marks in each corner of the border.

I was wondering if any of you would suggest I look to get this removed or should I just leave as it is and forget about it as it's nowhere near the main artwork etc.

What would you all do?

Thanks! for any feedback.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Fun poster, nasty tape residue....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 03:41:19 PM »
is the tape still on, or just residue?  If it is just the residue, I would try a heptane based product such as Bestine.  Naptha is also suggested on some sites.  This will remove actual residue from cellophane tape.  It won't remove any discoloring that has happened to the paper itself though.  For that you will need to try bleaching and likely more extreme measures.  Be careful when using these solvents.  Use them in a well ventilated area and wear gloves and a mask.

I am not the expert on restoration and have just started dabbling myself.  I'm getting my info from others better informed.
-Jay-

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 03:47:52 PM »
Probably sound silly here but I'm not 100% sure about the tape being there anymore, I think! it's only residue left from where tape was once there, it's not easy to say.

I have thought (very briefly) about trying to remove it myself but I don't think I'd ever be that brave as I'm bound to mess it up altogether if I were to try anything like this.

Trouble is to get it removed by a pro restorer would almost certainly cost as much as the actual poster cost me in the first place.

I should just add, I'm more interested than anything in just knowing if others would leave it or remove it, that's the only question I really want to know.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:51:22 PM by Test1 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »
Probably sound silly here but I'm not 100% sure about the tape being there anymore, I think! it's only residue left from where tape was once there, it's not easy to say.

I have thought (very briefly) about trying to remove it myself but I don't think I'd ever be that brave as I'm bound to mess it up altogether if I were to try anything like this.

Trouble is to get it removed by a pro restorer would almost certainly cost as much as the actual poster cost me in the first place.

I should just add, I'm more interested than anything in just knowing if others would leave it or remove it, that's the only question I really want to know.

I think you will get various replies to this, John.

Some will choose to leave it and not have any restoration done, and others may do things like having those stains bleached to lessen their appearance to actually having those marks airbrushed over to cover all traces of them.

Do those marks bother you, when you look at it?

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:12:08 PM »
This sort of tape residue drives me crazy.  I would take a long term approach on cleaning it up.  I would look toward buying a couple of junk titles with similar tape stains and practice on them.  If you just pay a bit fore the poster and don't really care about it, you can use it for practice.

Here in the States, I can buy a couple for $1-2 each and bundle them in with other stuff I want.  Situation is probably tougher in England, since you don't have auctions from Bruce or others every week to source this.
-Jay-

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:27:21 PM »
I think you will get various replies to this, John.

Some will choose to leave it and not have any restoration done, and others may do things like having those stains bleached to lessen their appearance to actually having those marks airbrushed over to cover all traces of them.

Do those marks bother you, when you look at it?

I suppose they bother me in as much that if they were not there then it would almost be a mint poster, they are really the only thing that lets the poster down I guess, on the other hand the fact that the marks are nowhere near the main artwork I feel as though I should be able to make myself look past them as long as I know leaving the marks will not do any long term damage to the poster.

I'll think things over.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
This sort of tape residue drives me crazy.  I would take a long term approach on cleaning it up.  I would look toward buying a couple of junk titles with similar tape stains and practice on them.  If you just pay a bit fore the poster and don't really care about it, you can use it for practice.

Here in the States, I can buy a couple for $1-2 each and bundle them in with other stuff I want.  Situation is probably tougher in England, since you don't have auctions from Bruce or others every week to source this.

Yes, certainly not easy in the UK to find cheap enough posters to do tests on, I think as I said to Jeff, I'll think it over for a little while, appreciate your thoughts.