Author Topic: Easy Rider Japanese B2 Blue Style  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
Easy Rider Japanese B2 Blue Style
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:21:08 AM »
Hey all, if anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated.
I have an Easy Rider Japanese B2 Blue version which is quite "shiny".  The Easy Rider Orange version that I have has more of a matte finish.  Can anyone who has a Blue version comment on the kind of paper it is?  I know there is some uncertainty about the release dates of these posters (which one is 1969, which one is early 1970's) but I'm just trying to verify that the Blue version is on a "shinier/glossier" paper stock than the Orange version.  Here are some pics:

Cheers and Thanks  :D

PS: just did a bit of checking, Easy Rider was released in 1969 in the USA and January 24, 1970 in Japan (multiple sites list this as the Japan release date even though the poster's eirin mark indicates Showa44 = 1969)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:41:25 AM by Hicks77 »

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
Re: Easy Rider Japanese B2 Blue Style
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:36:38 PM »
Next to THE WILD BUNCH my favorite film. I know that the orange one is from 1969. Whether the blue one is also 1st release I could never confirm (I myself think it is from the mid-70s, the film always played in cinemas anyway, but between approx. 1973 and 1979 distributors worldwide printed new material and new 35mm prints.).
The blue one is printed on more glossy paper (which was used in the late 60s too, so the paper is no proof...)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »
Hey Devin,

Are the numbers on each Eirin mark the same?

-Jeff

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
.... The blue one is printed on more glossy paper (which was used in the late 60s too, so the paper is no proof...)
This is the confirmation I needed Peckinpah :)  The difference in paper stock really made me question whether or not I had a reprint/copy.  Thanks so much for replying  :D

Are the numbers on each Eirin mark the same?
Hey Jeff!  Yes, the eirin mark numbers are the same.  Hmmmm, the plot thickens... (or continues to be thick as I know that this issue was raised in another thread before about the eirin numbers (not the paper stock))

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
That's interesting, Devin. I recall from Armin's (now closed) site, where he explained how the Eirin numbers defined a release year for a movie), that a later RR should have a different number. With them being the same number, does add to the mystery mix, for sure.  sherlockholmes.gif

Maybe the next time he hops around, Armin can shed some further light on this.

-Jeff

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 08:01:56 PM »

Hey,

I have a growing collection of Japanese posters. I'm guessing the blue poster may be a re-release, the orange one looks genuine to me.

Posters in the 60's, 50's, 70's from Japan are almost always on Paper I believe. I've only seen some Matt finish from the 80s (terminator etc).

Where did you purchase these?

Cheers
Duck you sucker!

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »
Thanks for the comment Shadytrade :)
The Orange version is definitely ok and Peckinpah's comment that "shiny" stock was used for the Blue version has eased my mind.
Armin, the resident Japanese poster guru, had this to say about eirin marks and re-releases:

I am aware of three rereleases that have the same Eirin number as the first release: BULLIT, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and ROSEMARY'S BABY.
They can be easily detected though. BULLIT RR has the Oscar statue, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE RR has completely different artwork and ROSEMARY'S BABY RR has a CIC logo.

Regarding EASY RIDER: The film was released three times theatrically in Japan (1970, 1972 and 1995). Not sure if the same Eirin number was used. But as you can see from the very small number of known "screw ups" above, chances are that the Eirin number was updated.

Armin

Most of my acquisitions come from Yahoo auction or emovieposter,
Cheers :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 01:20:30 AM »
Hey Devin,

Could I ask what the numbers are under the Eirin mark on your posters? I zoomed in on your pics, but it got a bit blurry at that high magnification.

-Jeff

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:36:24 AM »
Hey Jeff, the eirin number is 44346 (same on both posters). :o

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 01:38:16 AM »
Hey Jeff, the eirin number is 44346 (same on both posters). :o

Domo arigato, Devin san.  :)

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »
Do you read Japanese?  If so general advice would be to spend some time in the "leaflets" section on Yahoo Japan Auctions.  I've found that with posters, sometimes the original Eirin mark was re-used on re-release posters.  However, the leaflets/chirashi and also the pamphlets sometimes have other info printed on them that can offer clues.  Sometimes other films are listed, or dates, or advertisements, company logos, etc...

Regarding this particular poster keep this in mind:

Japanese B0 = orange (matte paper)
Japanese STB = orange (matte paper)
Japanese B2 = orange (matte paper)
Japanese B2 = blue (glossy paper)

Now, to me this means the orange was DEFINITELY the first printed.  That pretty much leaves two possibilities -- 1) maybe interest/word of mouth extended the distribution and they printed a second run on blue glossy, or 2) there was a second release and they used same plates/Eirin, but printed on glossy stock with blue ink.

Either seems plausible.  In the world of Easy Rider leaflets -- there are three variants:

1. Orange art
2. Orange and Blue art & double billed with 'Cactus Flower' -- definitely from 1969
3. Blue art

The leaflets were usually stamped with local/showtime info.  Here are three variants of the orange one.  I can't read Japanese but maybe these might help?

For some reason all the orange copies I've seen were stamped on the front on the top of the art, even though there is a space for it on the back!

The blue fliers all seem to be stamped on the back. 

For completeness sake, here is the double bill flier with Cactus Flower that uses the orange AND blue art:

And by the way, both the B3 press sheet and the brochure use the combined orange AND blue art. 

What does it all mean?  You've got me.  There definitely aren't a lot of glossy stock posters at that time period, but there are a few big titles for sure (Bullitt, Le Mans, Godfather, Enter the Dragon, etc...).  If anyone can solve the mystery I would appreciate knowing the answer too! 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 03:23:22 PM »
Great info there, Matt.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
Matt, you are the king!
Ok, after checking a bit ...

The flier for Cactus Flower says that it opens on Saturday December 20.  December 20 fell on a Saturday in 1969.  However, the writing underneath the Easy Rider page says "the next special showing" which may mean it wasn't a double-bill and that the Easy Rider information was just for "preview" purposes... maybe.... 

EDIT:  Just found info, that there was a report in the December 1969 issue of Kinejun magazine (an old movie magazine in Japan) about the special previews of Easy Rider at the end of December.  As well, there was then a big write-up about Easy Rider in the January 1970 issue.

Looking in my chirashi books, Easy Rider is in the 1970 section with the Blue/Orange mix image. As well Easy Rider is in the 1972 section as a re-release with  the Orange art image. a deep blue color and an English heading.

The 1st Orange flier you posted is also on Yahoo Auction.  That seller is listing it as a 1972 re-release.  He's listing the R72 Orange flyer for ¥1000 ($10) and the Cactus Flower/Easy Rider Flier for ¥15000 ($150).

The 2nd Orange flier you posted says that showings will begin on March 21 which would be a Saturday, March 21, 1970.

The Blue flyer you posted says that the showings will start on Saturday, April 7 which makes the year 1973 (or 1979), the flier is from a repertory theater in Tokyo which screened old movies and re-releases.

Still nothing is certain but more information to go with.

Thanks so much Matt, much appreciated!
Cheers,
Devin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:50:13 PM by Hicks77 »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »
Thanks for deciphering all those chirashi stamps/dates I posted Devin!

Quickly, I didn't mean double-bill as in the UK/US sense where the movies were shown together (usually when in re-release).  I've often just seen multiple films advertised on some Japanese items before.

The 2nd Orange flyer you posted says that showings will begin on March 21.  If it's a Friday, then that's March of 1969 (which is too early), if it's a Saturday, then it's March 21, 1970.

That's strange -- if the orange chirashi are from the re-release, March 21st is on a Tuesday in 1972 and a Wednesday in 1973. 

Looking in my chirashi books, Cactus Flower is in the 1969 section, Easy Rider is in the 1970 section with the Blue/Orange mix image.  As well Easy Rider is in the 1972 section as a re-release with the Orange art image.

Anyway, it seems like the most important detail is this quote from you above.  If Japanese collectors are stating there was an early 70s re-release, then the blue poster on glossy stock surely must be from that release.

I don't think we can say it 100% certainty -- but in my mind we are above 90% now  sherlockholmes.gif

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »
That's strange -- if the orange chirashi are from the re-release, March 21st is on a Tuesday in 1972 and a Wednesday in 1973. 

Come to think of it, when I was assembling all this info that 2nd orange flier definitely looked like a different print on older paper than the others.  The orange and red were a lot more intense.  Maybe it is from the first release later in the release cycle?

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 04:41:49 PM »
Matt!  Sorry!  Just took another look in the book, I was completely wrong.  I think my brain's getting fried, it's 5:30 in the morning here and I was sorting posters since 5 in the afternoon Friday until 2am Saturday.

The 1972 chirashi is completely different.  It's not orange.  It's a deep mono-blue with English at the top "A man went looking for America and couldn't find it anywhere".

Sorry, I was switching back and forth between tabs APF, Yahoo, Wiki Japan, Kinenote and so on...