Author Topic: Comic-book and comic strip original artwork (feel free to add your own stuff!)  (Read 31923 times)

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Haven't fully-explored all the various threads but, if it hasn't already been done, I thought it might be of potential interest to do something along these lines.  So, to start the ball rolling (with more art to follow) . . .

Currently making its way back to the UK for my collection, via a side-trip to the USA, is this cracking example from the British science-fiction strip JEFF HAWKE, as illustrated by Sydney Jordan (with a terrific assist, here, by Colin Andrew).

This particular daily comes from the 1960 adventure, ‘Survival’, something that I consider to be an artistic highpoint for the strip (and a really neat dark, moody and claustrophobic pot-boiler of a story). The artwork for this serial is of a consistently high-standard throughout the 71 dailies that comprise the storyline, with few (if any) lacklustre examples.

My introduction to the 'Survival' serial . . .

“Whilst on a deep space voyage, Jeff Hawke’s spacecraft is accidently shot down by a strange alien craft onto a nearby asteroid, with one of the crew members badly injured during the crash-landing. To help make amends for their tragic error, the aliens who caused the accident, “repair and improve” the dying crewman . . . with resulting grave consequences that will soon unfold for Jeff and his team.”

This particular daily is, to my mind, a standout example from a standout serial. Panel one sets the stage as Jeff and his crew put into position the strange alien cylinder that contains the ‘repaired and improved’ crewman. Panel two sees Jeff cautiously unscrewing the end of the life-healing cylinder . . . leading into a wonderful cliff-hanger of a third and final climactic panel in which the altered ‘Mac’ slowly emerges . . . eyes glowing strangely.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:38:18 PM by Mr Trent »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Back in the 1960s, in my home town of Liverpool, England . . . I used to scour all the local newsagents for the latest American comic-books. Although I had a preference for the Marvel titles, I was quite open to try anything that looked interesting (regardless of publisher).

One weekend, during a systematic search of the neighborhood, I came across the # 24 issue of a title I'd not seen before . . . SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE. The dramatic (painted) cover depicted a daring rescue bid to save a sacrificial victim from an imminent fiery death, atop of the hands of a gigantic statue in the ancient mythical land of Atlantis. On the strength of the cover painting alone, I bought the comic-book and was duly hooked on the adventures of the Robinsons (which have no bearing on the TV series of the same name).

The interior art, by Dan Spiegle, was deceptively simple. His story-telling, in comparison to the superhero stuff of the time, didn't go in for the heightened sense of drama most of us had become accustomed to. Spiegle's story art was a gentle, refreshing change of pace . . . allowing the strength of the writing not to be overshadowed by flashy macho-posturing characters.

A month or two after buying LOST IN SPACE # 24, I bought the follow-up issue of this two-part adventure. The cover image to SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE # 25 was, to the 10 year old boy I was at the time, even more spectacular!. For over four decades I'd been enamoured of George Wilson's stunning # 25 cover painting - and it had remained high on my 'Wants' list of nostalgic favourites.

In recent years, when I decided to scale-down my collection, I'd abandoned all hope of ever finding my LOST IN SPACE cover grail. Out of the blue, I received an e-mail from the (then) owner - expressing an interest in releasing the cover to me in trade.

Through several weeks of looking at trade options (for artwork outside of my own collection that I could possibly buy as trade-bait), the alternative idea of a straight cash sale was agreed upon - and many, many years later, the original artwork for a much-loved and long-admired painting found its way to me.

(The above is a copy-and-paste job from a 2009 posting . . . I like to copy-and-paste)

Original painted artwork for the first image, followed by a copy of the published cover (with all display title and lettering present):
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:59:50 PM by Mr Trent »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Here's an original painted cover for one of the War Picture Library pocket-books that used to feature heavily in the British newsagents of the 1960s and 70s.  Behind each painted cover came something like a 64-page b&w comic-book. 

This particular cover, by Allesandro Biffignandi, originally saw print in 1965.  Later on, during the 1970s, they reprinted the book and made slight alterations to the original cover art (shown here) to reflect the price-increase between the two decades.

I quite like this cover image, which portrays an intense moment of combat during WWII.

Presenting Sergeant Leatherneck . . .

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Outstanding thread, Terry.
 clap clap clap clap clap clap

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Lost In Space was a fave TV show of mine .... still is... and what a great story and finally being offered that original cover artwork, all those years later.

Congrats on getting that... it certainly seems that it's in the right and proper home!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
On the strength of the cover painting alone, I bought the comic-book and was duly hooked on the adventures of the Robinsons (which have no bearing on the TV series of the same name).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Interssting publication history (from wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Family_Robinson

Space Family Robinson was published as a total of 59 issues, from 1962 to 1982. The first issue was published in December 1962. With issue #15 (January, 1966), the "Lost in Space" title was added to the cover. The book Silver Age: The Second Generation of Comic Artists by Daniel Herman explains that when the Lost in Space TV series debuted in 1965, it was obvious that it was inspired, at least in part, by the comic book, but CBS, the network airing the show, had never acquired the license from Western Publishing. Rather than sue CBS or producer Irwin Allen, Western decided to reach a settlement that allowed them to use Lost in Space for the title of the comic book. Since CBS and Irwin Allen licensed shows to Western, Western didn't want to antagonize them.

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
I was a big fan of the Dell and Gold Key comic-book titles based primarily on their painted cover art alone.
Maybe Terry knows who has this art?
I'd suck the snot out of a dead xenomorph's nostril to have it on my wall.

Art is by Morris (Mo) Gollub, 1957

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Lost In Space was a fave TV show of mine .... still is... and what a great story and finally being offered that original cover artwork, all those years later.

Congrats on getting that... it certainly seems that it's in the right and proper home!  thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Jeff.  Loved the fist season of Lost in Space, though I do have all three seasons on DVD.  The show kinda went downhill with the advent of the colour episodes, for me, and it all became a bit silly.  I've got all the model kits built-up and painted and if I think on I'll take some photographs to upload.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:20:19 AM by Mr Trent »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
I was a big fan of the Dell and Gold Key comic-book titles based primarily on their painted cover art alone.
Maybe Terry knows who has this art?
I'd suck the snot out of a dead xenomorph's nostril to have it on my wall.

Art is by Morris (Mo) Gollub, 1957

Sorry, Brude, I've never seen the original Gollub painting for that cover in collector circles (wonderful image, by the way).  Lots of George Wilson cover paintings out there, but they quickly find buyers whenever they come up for sale.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:21:25 AM by Mr Trent »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Dan Spiegle spot illustration for the back cover of the 1970 publication, MARCH OF COMICS; SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON - LOST IN SPACE, featuring the aesthetically-pleasing 'Spacemobile' from the memorable Gold Key title.

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Here are five pages of original Dan Spiegle art that I own from the very first issue of Space Family Robinson.  Pages 3, 21, 27, 28 and 30.  Bought these from Dan (via his agent, Dave Karlen) about six years ago.  Funny thing was, most of the interior pages from subsequent issues of SFR/LIS are now thought to be destroyed, but Dan had requested and retained his original artwork for the first issue.  I have a friend in Los Angeles who owns the bulk of the art from issue one, which he bought directly from Dan some years ago.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:41:49 AM by Mr Trent »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Had to break this into two parts . . .

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
The cover prelim to the Marshall Rogers graphic novel adaptation of Harlan Ellison's award-winning Outer Limits teleplay, Demon With a Glass Hand.

As a long-time OL fan, and this being my enduring favourite episode of that outstanding TV show, this makes for a wonderful acquisition to add to my collection.

Very close to the published cover (with minor changes - see additional image), I'm absolutely delighted to have landed this one!

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
. . . and five pages of interior original art from the Demon With a Glass Hand graphic novel.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:59:15 AM by Mr Trent »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
A late 1940s Johnny Craig Crime Patrol cover for EC (Entertaining Comics).  A title change, and a move towards Horror, saw Crime Patrol eventually morph into Tales From the Crypt.

I started collecting EC original artwork back in the early 1980s, at a time when publisher Russ Cochran was auctioning-off the artwork as he progressed with his hardback reprint editions of the EC line.  At one time I owned several hundred pages of original EC art, but now they're mostly gone . . . as I either traded away artwork or later sold art to help fund lifestyle changes.

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
From 1957, when the Marvel Comics Group was known as Atlas . . . a rare surviving cover example by the great John Severin!

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
A picture paints a thousand words . . . and a strong one spurs the imagination.

I first became aware of Volkan Baga’s artwork several years ago when, at the time, an American collector friend showcased a Lord of the Rings commission by the artist. Reminiscent of the works of the old masters, whose paintings grace the art galleries of our world, but with Fantasy being the subject matter to entice and mesmerize the viewer, I was immediately attracted to Volkan’s art - which combined aesthetics with a strong visual hook. The painting in question was stunningly executed, capturing to near-perfection the noble and heroic exploits of our middle-earth friends. I made a mental note to keep a look out for more of the artist’s work in future times.

Like most collectors, I get side-tracked with other more pressing matters in life, and keeping tabs on artists’ works that I like can sometimes be temporarily forgotten.

In recent years, I was performing an internet search for images from the Magic the Gathering card sets. To digress slightly, I’ve never actually played this game, but since being introduced to British artist Kev Walker’s MTG artwork (by an American friend), I have since become in awe of the fabulous images that front many of these cards. That interest has recently manifested itself in the acquisition of a number of Kev Walker MTG original paintings.

But back to my Volkan Baga story . . .

I keyed-in a search string for Magic the Gathering artworks on my computer and a wealth of images opened up on my PC’s monitor. I carefully perused the thumbnails for anything of potential interest and one picture immediately jumped out at me and commanded my attention:

Armored Skaab.

Following the link, I was directed towards an eBay offering of the original painted artwork via an American dealer. To my delight, I also discovered that the art in question was the work of the same artist who had aroused my interest several years earlier (via the aforementioned Lord of the Rings commission). The eBay listing indicated that the artwork resided in Germany with its creator. A further internet search, under the artist’s name, brought me to the Volkan Baga web-site.

Interestingly, the Armored Skaab painting was listed as being available for sale. Asking price was the same as the buy-it-now amount on the eBay offering. Preferring to deal directly with the artist, I sent Volkan an e-mail to register my interest in buying the painting from him and within days a deal was concluded.

When a sturdy parcel arrived on my doorstep, courtesy of FedEx, I excitedly began the process of unwrapping . . .

Minutes later, I beheld the savage glory of the Armored Skaab. A disturbing image, beautifully executed.

As I say, a strong picture spurs the imagination. The accompanying MTG card (that Volkan very kindly placed in the package to accompany the artwork), tells me that the Skaab is a Zombie Warrior, and goes on to elaborate that, “When Armored Skaab enters the battlefield, put the top four cards of your library into your graveyard” (with the added footnote, “Literally made for battle”).

Yes, this character is every (fantasy) warrior’s nightmare . . .

Putting aside the MTG description, Volkan Baga’s painting speaks to me (I have my own take on what I see before me) and I’m drawn into a savage world whose boundaries are that of imagination (to borrow from Twilight Zone!). The image disturbs, excites and intrigues in equal measures . . .

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:02:24 AM by Mr Trent »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Here's an example of a (British artist) Kev Walker Magic the Gathering painting.

Kev has a flawless painting technique and this particular artwork reminds me in some ways of the White Walkers from HBO's Game of Thrones TV series (a big favourite with me).  I'm attaching a scan of the printed card underneath the original painting.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Thanks, Jeff.  Loved the fist season of Lost in Space, though I do have all three seasons on DVD.  The show kinda went downhill with the advent of the colour episodes, for me, and it all became a bit silly.  I've got all the model kits built-up and painted and if I think on I'll take some photographs to upload.

Same here, Terry. The first season, shot in black and white was the best, imo, too. When Dr Smith actually was a bad guy and before he became the whimpering foil ("oh the pain, the pain.."  lol)

About 10 years ago I started to gather and build a full size, 1:1 B9 robot from the show. That is another hobby all in its own. I showed some of his progress here: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6504.0.html

Eventually, I sold him off, piecemeal. I couldnt find a buyer for him in total. It was fun, though, searching for parts and researching that, while it was in progress.

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Same here, Terry. The first season, shot in black and white was the best, imo, too. When Dr Smith actually was a bad guy and before he became the whimpering foil ("oh the pain, the pain.."  lol)

About 10 years ago I started to gather and build a full size, 1:1 B9 robot from the show. That is another hobby all in its own. I showed some of his progress here: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6504.0.html

Eventually, I sold him off, piecemeal. I couldnt find a buyer for him in total. It was fun, though, searching for parts and researching that, while it was in progress.

Impressive build, Jeff!   thumbsup.gif

Can you do me a full size flying sub?  ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Impressive build, Jeff!   thumbsup.gif

Can you do me a full size flying sub?  ;)

LOL, thanks Terry.

If you can show me where to get the parts, I'm happy to try.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future - front cover from Eagle comic UK) 1958

My favourite artist from my favourite comic-strip, DAN DARE - PILOT OF THE FUTURE. This cover, by Frank Hampson (assisted by Eric Eden), is from the story "Reign of the Robots" and dates from January 1958. The attention to detail is absolutely amazing (I've studied this original many times with a magnifying glass and the work is cameo-like in its precision). The original art was illustrated 'same size' (as the printed page), a small 11.5" x 9.5". Full-colour painted art, with the use of air-brush for space backgrounds. A personal favourite DAN DARE example . . .

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Montgomery of Alamein by Frank Bellamy - Episode 11

From an 18 episode series detailing the life of Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery, this is # 11. Many regard this as artist Frank Bellamy's best-ever war strip - and probably the finest-illustrated war strip ever to appear in a comic-book. Full-colour painted art.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
This is a great piece, Terry.
I just love the airbrush details.