Author Topic: Original Movie Poster Paintings collection  (Read 15118 times)

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
Re: Original Movie Poster Paintings collection
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
New in today . . .

Vic Fair prototype quad movie poster design for the UK release of Remo Williams.  Image size is 24” x 18” with movie title, cast and production credits painted directly onto an acetate overlay applied over the main artwork.

Likely to be a rubbish movie, by all accounts, but I always was a sucker for moody cityscapes . . .

“Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, also released as Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous, was a 1985 American action-adventure-thriller film directed by Guy Hamilton. The film featured Fred Ward, Joel Grey, Wilford Brimley and Kate Mulgrew.

The character is based on The Destroyer pulp paperback series. The movie was the only adaptation featuring the character Remo Williams, and fared poorly in theaters. It received mixed reviews from critics, although it did earn Joel Grey a Golden Globe nomination. The film and a Remo Williams television pilot both credited Clark as executive producer. The film was supposed to be the first of a series based on The Destroyer series of novels.

A significant setpiece within the film takes place at the Statue of Liberty, which was surrounded by scaffolding for its restoration during this period.

Sam Makin is a tough Brooklyn, New York City street cop and Vietnam-era Marine Corps veteran. He is unwillingly recruited as an assassin for a secret United States organization, CURE. The recruitment is through a bizarre method: his death is faked and he is given a new face and a new name. Rechristened "Remo Williams" (after the name and location of the manufacturer of the bedpan in Makin's hospital room), his face is surgically altered and he is trained to be a human killing machine by his aged, derisive and impassive Korean martial arts master Chiun.

Though Remo's training is extremely rushed by Chiun's standards, Remo learns such skills as dodging bullets and running on water. Chiun teaches Remo the Korean martial art named "Sinanju". Remo's instruction is interrupted when he is sent by CURE to investigate a corrupt weapons procurement program within the US Army.”

Link to my on-line Comic Art Fans galleries:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Three attachments . . .

First is Vic Fair's prototype poster original painted art . . . next is the final printed poster (probably by another artist, but faithful to Fair's concept) . . . and lastly is the American one-sheet design (which, to my mind, is pure comic-book stuff . . . heck, you could replace Remo with Spider-Man).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:52:04 PM by Mr Trent »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »
Vic's piece is the best. They should have used it

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »
Agreed!

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
New in today . . .

Tom Chantrell's finished artwork for the 1966 UK drama, 'The Idol'.

"The Idol was a 1966 British drama film directed by Daniel Petrie and starred Jennifer Jones, Michael Parks, Jennifer Hilary and Guy Doleman.

A rebellious student embarks on an affair with the mother of his best friend, leading to disastrous consequences."

To see the variant (resulting) movie poster prints (utilizing Chantrell's core artwork), check out my Comic Art Fans gallery, which features additional images - including lobby cards:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:06:58 PM by Mr Trent »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
Nice pickup, once again, Terry.

Just curious... are those that are selling and dealing with the original Chantrell art keeping any pieces for historical or posterity's sake? Or is most everything that he ever did up for sale? Or did the family keep a good number of pieces? Any idea?

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »
Nice pickup, once again, Terry.

Just curious... are those that are selling and dealing with the original Chantrell art keeping any pieces for historical or posterity's sake? Or is most everything that he ever did up for sale? Or did the family keep a good number of pieces? Any idea?

The family are keeping a number of pieces that have strong emotional ties for them.  Chantrell would often cannibalize things like his Hammer movie artworks (in cases where the movies got re-released as double bills . . . instead of creating fresh art for those, he simply cut-apart existing originals).  I was very lucky to get his original 1966 painting for RASPUTIN, THE MAD MONK, which thankfully escaped the scissors.  A lot of artwork has sold over the years, so I really don't see too many great new additions heading over to the Chantrell site in future times (as most of the best stuff has already gone).  I could be wrong, so you never know?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
Great info there, Terry. And amazing to read that Chantrell cut apart pieces to use for later RR. It makes sense to recycle and I can understand why he did it, but still makes for a loss of the original artwork.  :'(

-Jeff

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
Great thread!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2017, 10:40:24 AM »
New in today (with thanks to Richie Halegua) . . .

Concept movie poster artwork (artist unknown) for the 1977 WWII film, ‘Cross of Iron’, measuring 13” x 21”.

A simple, but effective, design (focusing directly on the subject matter, with dripping blood for effect) that also has the movie’s title painted directly onto the artwork (mostly airbrush work). The cast and production credits, at the bottom-half of the art, are printed onto acetate overlays.

“In 1943, in the Russian front, the decorated leader Rolf Steiner is promoted to Sergeant after another successful mission. Meanwhile the upper-class and arrogant Prussian Captain Hauptmann Stransky is assigned as the new commander of his squad. After a bloody battle of Steiner's squad against the Russian troops led by the brave Lieutenant Meyer, who dies in the combat, the coward Stransky claims that he led his squad against the Russian and requests to be awarded with the Iron Cross to satisfy his personal ambition together with that of his aristocratic family. Stransky gives the names of Steiner and of the homosexual Lieutenant Triebig as witnesses of his accomplishment, but Steiner, who has problems with the chain of command in the army and with the arrogance of Stransky, refuses to participate in the fraud. When Colonel Brandt gives the order to leave the position in the front, Stransky does not retransmit the order to Steiner's squad, and they are left alone surrounded by the enemy and have to fight to survive . . .”

Cross of Iron was a British-German 1977 war film directed by Sam Peckinpah, featuring James Coburn, Maximilian Schell, James Mason and David Warner. The film was set on the Eastern Front in World War II during the Soviets' Caucasus operations against the Wehrmacht's Kuban bridgehead on the Taman Peninsula in late 1943.

The film focuses on the class conflict between a newly arrived, aristocratic Prussian officer who covets winning the Iron Cross and a cynical, battle-hardened infantry NCO. The screenplay was based on the 1956 novel The Willing Flesh by Willi Heinrich, a fictional work that may be loosely based on the true story of Johann Schwerdfeger.

Exteriors were shot on location in Yugoslavia. The film is notable for using a significant number of authentic tanks and equipment.

Cross of Iron, Sam Peckinpah's only war film, "is a forgotten masterpiece that has never really managed to overcome its troubled and expensive production." While Peckinpah had directed "many films about battles between groups of armed men...this was the first in which both sides wear uniforms."

In the opinion of Filmcritic.com, "Peckinpah indulges in endless combat scenes (this was his only war movie), which try the patience of viewers who came for the real story." Critical opinion has since improved and Cross of Iron was voted the greatest film ever made by Cinemag. Fans of the film include Quentin Tarantino, who used it as inspiration for Inglourious Basterds.

According to Variety magazine, "the production [from the book by Willi Heinrich] is well but conventionally cast, technically impressive, but ultimately violence-fixated."

Orson Welles, when he saw the film, cabled Peckinpah, praising the latter's film as "the best war film he had seen about the ordinary enlisted man since 'All Quiet on the Western Front'." Ian Johnston, reviewing the film's release on Blu-ray in June 2011, praised the film, saying Cross of Iron bears all the hallmarks of a real classic, which ranks with Peckinpah's finest work. As a poignant reminder of the sheer brutal obscenity of war, it has rarely been equalled."

At the time of its release, the film did poorly at the box-office in the US and received mixed reviews, its bleak, anti-war tone unable to get noticed amidst the hype of the release of the mega-popular Star Wars in the same year. However, it performed very well in Germany, earning the best box-office takings of any film released there since The Sound of Music and audiences and critics across Europe responded well to the film.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
 Likey.jpg

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »
Terry, I think you and Adrian should compare original art notes sometime. Very cool that you and he are both into collecting originals like this.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2017, 08:22:41 PM »
Terry, I think you and Adrian should compare original art notes sometime. Very cool that you and he are both into collecting originals like this.  thumbsup.gif

Sorry, Erik, missed your post until now.

Remind me who Adrian is?

I should have a few more paintings reaching me next week, one of which is totally freakin' awesome (to my way of thinking).  Stay tuned!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
He's the member who started this thread:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11992.0.html

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2017, 07:51:16 AM »
Ah, seen, thanks.  Some great stuff! 

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »
New in today . . . Tom Chantrell's original movie poster painting for SHALAKO.

SHALAKO was a British 1968 Western movie directed by Edward Dmytryk, starring Sean Connery and Brigitte Bardot.  It was filmed in Almería, Spain.

The cast also included Stephen Boyd, Jack Hawkins, and Honor Blackman, Connery's co-star from GOLDFINGER. It was based on a novel by Louis L'Amour.

Producer Euan Lloyd was introduced to Louis L'Amour, author of numerous Western adventure novels, by his actor friend Alan Ladd. Over the years as Lloyd dreamed of becoming an independent producer, he kept in touch with L'Amour.  He wanted to film his 1962 novel SHALAKO.

At one time Lloyd had lined up Henry Fonda and Senta Berger to star in the film, planning to shoot it in Mexico.  Lloyd recounted that, at the time, many film distributors were reluctant to back a film starring Fonda, and increases in the cost of filming in Mexico made it impossible to pursue.

During a meeting with L'Amour, Lloyd recounted long lines at the cinemas in New York for the latest James Bond adventure film.  L'Amour remarked that Sean Connery, who starred in the role, would certainly "look tall in the saddle".  When Lloyd met Sean Connery and discussed the work with him, he learned that Connery was a Western fan since childhood. He was also keen to do the film as he had been promised $1.2 million and 30% of the profits out of the $5 million budget.  Connery was available, as he had turned down playing Bond in ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE.

Lloyd obtained the film's planned original co-star Brigitte Bardot, Bond cinematographer Ted Moore, and Bond stuntman and action scene arranger Bob Simmons.

Bardot was paid $400,000 plus 12.5% of the profits.

Once Lloyd had Connery on board, many European and other film distributors were keen to finance the film.  Distributors in 35 different countries agreed to provide promissory notes worth $5 million payable on delivery of the film. This enabled Lloyd to raise the $3 million necessary to start production and to sign Connery and Bardot.  $1,455,000 came from ABC in the USA, with $2 million from elsewhere.  Dimitri de Grunwald became involved in helping finance.

The film was shot in Almería, Spain. Whilst scouting locations when planning to film in the United States, Lloyd had noticed that many Native Americans were overweight. He did not think they looked menacing enough.  Simmons recruited a "war party" of lean and mean Romani people (gypsies), whom he trained to ride and act like war-bent Apaches.

Simmons talked Connery into shaving off the droopy moustache which he had grown for the historic period. The investors perhaps remembered Gregory Peck's moustache in THE GUNFIGHTER, which was believed to have discouraged some of the public from attending. They feared the same might happen with SHALAKO.

Almería province was a favoured location for filming spaghetti Westerns.  But, when SHALAKO was in production, Harry Saltzman's Second World War film, PLAY DIRTY, set in the Libyan Desert, was being filmed on the same locations. One film crew had to wipe out the tyre tracks in the sand before filming the Old West, whilst the other had to pick up the horse droppings before shooting the Second World War battles.  Once the gypsy Apaches, mounted on horseback, rode by mistake headlong into an attack on a Long Range Desert Group!
Lloyd gathered a strong international cast, including Connery's former co-star Honor Blackman from GOLDFINGER, as well as Jack Hawkins, Stephen Boyd, Woody Strode, Peter van Eyck, Alexander Knox, Eric Sykes and Don Barry.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2017, 09:46:35 AM »
Hmm, if I had newly acquired a text only James Bond poster that was one-of-a-kind and never seen for sale before, had it linen backed and hung on a wall, would I have popped it up in all six forums?

Difficult one.  But, thanks for the covering of all bases...  :P  ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:56:17 AM by Simes »

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »
Hmm, if I had newly acquired a text only James Bond poster that was one-of-a-kind and never seen for sale before, had it linen backed and hung on a wall, would I have popped it up in all six forums?

Difficult one.  But, thanks for the covering of all bases...  :P  ;)

Why not, the more the merrier, eh?!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »
Guess so.  But what for some might be industrious, for others might be spamming.

Dunno.  Someone around here will have a Rule for all this stuff.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
You have some nice one-off pieces Terry but my vote would be to post an image just once under the most appropriate heading. If there is further discussion it will all then be in one place and easily found in a subsequent search.

Mark

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
Fair comment.

One post repeated two more times on very similar threads.  Seemed appropriate to me and certainly no intention of spamming on my behalf (only sharing).  Didn't seem to be a great deal of activity on any of those three threads, so it's not as if it was getting in the way of anything else?

No worries, I'm outta here, adios.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
Nice one, there, Terry.

Interesting to see how the final poster printing made Ms Bardot more tan than in the original piece. Cool to see things like this and the progression from start to finish.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Mr Trent

• Hobbyist
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2017, 07:07:25 AM »
Just to tie-up any loose-ends, if anyone here wants to keep updated on new additions to my slowly-growing movie poster original paintings collection, you're best bet is to follow my Comic Art Fans galleries at:

Latest addition to my collection is Vic Fair's prototype painting for the UK quad poster campaign of the 1981 movie, FORT APACHE, THE BRONX.

Fair painted two versions of the movie's star, Paul Newman, with a revised portrait being present on an acetate overlay (my CAF entry showcases both versions of the character).

That's me done, here, thanks for listening.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2017, 12:52:08 PM »
Very much enjoyed seeing these - please continue to post them here! Amused to see good old Billy Fury pop up - he was indeed very keen on horses - but it's a toss up between 'Under the Doctor' and the 'Rasputin' for my favourite. Those eyes are quite splendid.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline mrmovieprop

• Beginner
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »
Now this is an interesting collecting field to go after.  Rough draft paintings, finalized paintings, prototype design paintings for posters make it interesting but with its own authentication challenges even if you get it from reliable source. Have to figure exactly what  each item is

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2018, 08:41:42 PM »
I have a dozen or more pieces of original artwork. I think the main difficulty for a collector is how these can be displayed, given they can have multiple overlays and mounts.

Mark