Author Topic: Gremlins One Sheet  (Read 2422 times)

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
  • Same same, but different.
Gremlins One Sheet
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
Does anyone know the difference between the different Gremlins prints? These are the 3 different ones I've seen for sale. I'm assuming there's the NSS and then a studio print or two? All of them are 27x41. A store in Toronto here has the original rolled one sheet with the info at the bottom left and right (nothing in the middle) for $350 Canadian. Which seems pretty expensive as they seem to go pretty cheap on the auction sites (under $100). Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Gremlins One Sheet
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
The middle one is the advance poster.  A rare case where they didn't have different artwork for the advance.  You can tell because the hands are lighter and "advance" is written in center bottom border.

I'd guess NSS and International on the other 2.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
Though, if the one were an international style, it wouldnt have the ratings box, would it?

Both the top and bottom copies each have a ratings box.

And what's interesting is that the middle poster has no ratings box.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
The advance posters in Bruce's database don't show a ratings box.

I guess I was wrong on top and bottom.  One is definitely the regular 1 sheet, but the images are too small for my aging eyes to pick out the differences.

The bottom one seems to have the normal "property of NSS" disclaimer.  The interesting thing is that this doesn't appear on any of the posters in Bruce's database.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:16:43 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
  • Same same, but different.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:05:26 PM »
Though, if the one were an international style, it wouldnt have the ratings box, would it?

Both the top and bottom copies each have a ratings box.

And what's interesting is that the middle poster has no ratings box.

It doesn't seem like the advance posters usually have the MPAA rating. An international version wouldn't typically have it either I don't think, as most countries have their own rating standards.

I was kind of confused that an advance wouldn't have a release date though? Would the one without the rating box be international?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »
It doesn't seem like the advance posters usually have the MPAA rating. An international version wouldn't typically have it either I don't think, as most countries have their own rating standards.

I was kind of confused that an advance wouldn't have a release date though? Would the one without the rating box be international?

Some do, some dont. Some say "Coming Soon" etc. That it has no ratings box is curious, as I cant imagine that by the time the posters were printed, it hadnt been assigned a rating, yet, especially with it being PG -- Unless maybe there was some bouncing back and forth with a possible R rating at the time the advances were produced. 

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 04:59:49 PM »
Some do, some dont. Some say "Coming Soon" etc. That it has no ratings box is curious, as I cant imagine that by the time the posters were printed, it hadnt been assigned a rating, yet, especially with it being PG -- Unless maybe there was some bouncing back and forth with a possible R rating at the time the advances were produced.

This was also right at the time that MPAA adopted the new PG-13 rating.  But clearly at the time the advanced was printed, they were still negotiating.

I was also surprised that none of the posters Bruce shows has the nss information.  Makes me wonder if the bottom one is a second printing that added the NSS disclaimer.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 05:14:28 PM »
This was also right at the time that MPAA adopted the new PG-13 rating.  But clearly at the time the advanced was printed, they were still negotiating.

I was also surprised that none of the posters Bruce shows has the nss information.  Makes me wonder if the bottom one is a second printing that added the NSS disclaimer.

Jay the bottom one has the NSS info and a ratings box, so i thought this was for the theatrical release.

It's the middle copy that has no ratings box but what looks like an NSS number in the lower right corner. And when I zoom in, the info gets too fuzzy to know for certain.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:20:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »
Jay the bottom one has the NSS info and a ratings box, so i thought this was for the theatrical release.

It's the middle copy that has no ratings box but what looks like an NSS number in the lower right corner. And when I zoom in, the info gets too fuzzy to know for certain.

What I was referring to on the middle one was the block in the middle bottom of the middle one.  If you look in Bruce's archive, like this one
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5355227.html
Take a look at the large image and zoom in on the bottom.  It says ADVANCE ONE SHEET.

The bottom one definitely has the NSS disclaimer (Property of the National Screen Service...).  Bruce has 158 one sheets in his archive.  After a bunch of searching, I found one that had the markings, sold back in 2010
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/11331741.html

He does have an international, and it is lighter still with more detail in the pants.  It does not have any markings on the bottom at all.

I do have a 1 sheet, but not worth the bother to find it.  My 1 sheets are still pretty disorganized.

This is all I know, and I will shut up now.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »
All cool info, jay. Trying to solve a mystery is a great part of this hobby.

-Jeff