Author Topic: Hey Guys - New Collector  (Read 9124 times)

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
  • Same same, but different.
Hey Guys - New Collector
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
Hey everyone, been looking around at original posters for awhile, and just started to collect.

I ran into an issue with one of the first posters I bought and based on some brief research - figured out it wasn't likely what it was being sold as.

Anyways, while I was trying to figure it out, I realized it was difficult to find good resources and information on this kind of thing. So I was really glad to come across APF. Always great to find a supportive community that shares a passion for collecting and discovery; especially when such a community attracts so much dishonesty and confusion at the same time.

I will be bothering you with inquiries soon!

-Jay

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Hey Guys - New Collector
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »
welcome to the jungle

sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »
 welcome1, Jay and enjoy the forum. Glad you found it, as there are lots of good and helpful poster-folk here.

What poster did you buy that you later learned was questionable?

-Jeff

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
It was a Friday the 13th 27x40. http://ca.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-33978/Friday_The_13th.html

It was partially my fault for not realizing it said printed in 1982 - which is apparently a re-release according to the seller.

However, I could not find anything to back this up. The only information I found was relating to this size being a reprint, or a fan printed edition.

The picture also showed the NSS information at the bottom and when the poster came it didn't have this. For all I know it could be from a re-release, but I was looking for original release and there just seemed to be too much other speculation about this piece to feel comfortable with it.

The seller was great to deal with and was fine with it being returned. I also purchased an Aliens daybill from the same site and love it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »
Good to hear it all worked out, Jay.  thumbsup.gif

It looks like all these later RR that emp have sold have the NSS info on them, as well as measuring 27x41, and Not 40 inches long.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/FRIDAY%2520THE%252013TH%2520%2528%252780%2529/tag/extra%253Areissue/style/UF/archive.html

That yours didnt certainly would be one to wonder about.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:44:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
Welcome!  And yes, that F13 1-sheet is a particularly tricky one!

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »
Welcome!  And yes, that F13 1-sheet is a particularly tricky one!

You're tellin me! Here I was thinking I could just buy something that said original and have just that. Oops.

I'm still looking for this - Is Cinemasterpieces recommended typically? Any other sites that are good to keep an eye on?

Love the idea of looking on eMovie to look at the versions that were identified and sold as reprints. Then comparing.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
You're tellin me! Here I was thinking I could just buy something that said original and have just that. Oops.

I'm still looking for this - Is Cinemasterpieces recommended typically? Any other sites that are good to keep an eye on?

Love the idea of looking on eMovie to look at the versions that were identified and sold as reprints. Then comparing.

You should have no authenticity concerns at Cinemasterpieces -- Dave only sells 100% legit posters.  You might check my website too :)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »
Hi Jay and welcome. Yes, definitely a reprint. Poster size is the best indicator of originality and original early 1980s one sheets are with very few exceptions 27" x 41".

Mark

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 03:53:32 PM »
You should have no authenticity concerns at Cinemasterpieces -- Dave only sells 100% legit posters.  You might check my website too :)

I did have a look! Love the stuff you have. Once I have grabbed the main ones on my list I am definitely wanting to look at some Japanese Bond releases.

Thanks everyone else for confirming and making me feel like less of a crazy person. On top of everything else it just seemed way too clean and strange that they had numerous rolled copies. I don't think movieposters.com is a bad site at all. Maybe just slightly misguided. Had I known a little bit more I wouldn't have bought it. However, I also don't think it should be marked as an original even if it was studio printed for a re-release.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
And the fact that the size is wrong --it only being 40", rather than 41 inches long, would suggest it's a repro, and not a later, legit, RR one sheet.

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
Ooo! Another new face. Welcome, welcome, WELCOME! We are always happy to see new ones here. Unlike a lot of others, I've only been here about 2 years now...and I have felt at home from Day #1. I'm sure you will, too. Explore, look about, ask questions, but most of all...have fun.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 01:08:42 AM »

Keep an eye, too, on Heritage's weekly, Sunday auctions, MoviePosterBid.com and emp.

All 3 have auctioned this poster before, and likely will again.

-Jeff

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
Keep an eye, too, on Heritage's weekly, Sunday auctions, MoviePosterBid.com and emp.

All 3 have auctioned this poster before, and likely will again.

Thanks Jeff. Are the auction sites usually your best bet? I've been looking and seeing some legit stuff going for much less than the online stores.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
Like anything, stores = retail prices (generally)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Are the auction sites usually your best bet? I've been looking and seeing some legit stuff going for much less than the online stores.

Like Vick mentioned, online stores may have things priced at retail levels. Where have you been looking and seeing things for less?

And you can get awesome deals on the auction sites but certainly remember that you are bidding with an unknown number of others who could push a price skyward, if it's really wanted by 2 or 3 folks.

-Jeff

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »
Thanks again!

Sorry, I meant the auction sites seem to sell for quite a lot less than some of the stores. However, as you mentioned - the risk is obvious and you can see a few that spiraled out of control haha.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
Thanks again!

Sorry, I meant the auction sites seem to sell for quite a lot less than some of the stores. However, as you mentioned - the risk is obvious and you can see a few that spiraled out of control haha.

Gotcha.  ;)

I think these numbers can vary to quite a degree, with folks often getting a great deal on something that might slip under the radar, or there are times that one will pay more from an auction site. But in that case, it's the bidders that are driving up and setting the final sale price, not the shopkeeper.

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »
Welcome to APF Jay.
As a longtime collector, I'd recommend the auction sites for the best bang for your buck.
I am always finding deals this way and getting far more posters for a fraction of the price.
Looking forward to seeing your posters when you are ready to show them.

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Brude. Looking forward to finding some deals!

On a further note - Movieposter.com (This is where I purchased the 27x40 F13 one sheet) has now posted a 27x41 F13 one sheet as an original. However the image they're displaying shows the GCIU logo. Maybe they just used a stock photo, and will actually be shipping the original? For $625 you'd think a little more effort would go into presenting it properly. Either way, there seems to be a lot of questionable finds on this site, so just wanted to give anyone a heads up. I don't think I'll be dealing with them again. I don't know if it's intentional, or maybe just a lack of knowledge/effort?

Anyways, here is the one I'm talking about.
http://ca.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-33978/Friday_The_13th.html

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 03:07:13 PM »
They sell a mix of reprints and originals. I dont think they are out to intentionally deceive anyone. So it could be carelessness on their part (not that Im excusing that).

If it's a 27x41, then I'd think there's a good chance it's the real mccoy.

-Jeff

Offline RayStensen

• Beginner
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
They sell a mix of reprints and originals. I dont think they are out to intentionally deceive anyone. So it could be carelessness on their part (not that Im excusing that).

If it's a 27x41, then I'd think there's a good chance it's the real mccoy.

It's tricky since all the re-releases seem to be 27x41 as well though. And if they are selling the one in the picture then it is definitely not an original theatrical release. If it was a re-release I know it would technically still count as "original", I just wish there was more clarification provided.

Also, can someone clear up the deal with the R in front of the NSS number? If a poster is printed for a theatrical re-release I've seen the R printed in front of the number. Sometimes posters are marked as re-releases, yet they don't have this?