Author Topic: To Linen Back or NOT to Linen Back?  (Read 9244 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: To Linen Back or NOT to Linen Back?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
I have this poster in my small collection, mine is also folded, I'm 100% in the "leave it as it is" camp on this one, I have had mine up and framed in the past and while I would have loved to have had a rolled copy of this great! poster I think it still looks pretty good framed even with the folds.

As for those asking about price, when I've looked recently a folded one is usually around £400-500 if you buy through a dealer, as for a rolled one I've not seen one for sale in rolled condition since I've been collecting posters over the last year or two, but, my "guess" would be a dealer would probably be asking £800 or more for one in rolled condition.

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
Looks very nice as is in that frame.  thumbup

I'd leave it alone.

Nah, I would get it linen backed but someone correct me if Im wrong. But isnt that poster the one that has a glossy layer on top or a satin? I heard those are very difficult if not impossible to hide or touch up those lines, where it almost makes it pointless.

Plus Im becoming a big fan of linenbacking as of lately, so Im all for it when necessary.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »
Nah, I would get it linen backed but someone correct me if Im wrong. But isnt that poster the one that has a glossy layer on top or a satin? I heard those are very difficult if not impossible to hide or touch up those lines, where it almost makes it pointless.

Plus Im becoming a big fan of linenbacking as of lately, so Im all for it when necessary.

what is necessary about linenbacking the poster in question?
it doesn't seem to have any condition issues

to anyone who thinks linenbacking a nice condition poster is the 'right way'.

Heritage just sold a linenbacked Casablanca for $38,200.00

last time they sold an unbacked copy, 16 months ago, they got $77,675.00

an unbacked copy sold for more than double the backed copy.

That should tell us exactly where the value lay. The 'right way' (especially in this case), is not to back.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »

How much does Linen backing actually cost for 1sh or B2? I was thinking about doing it not for value, but for preservation. 

What are peoples views on Museum Quality framing? UV or conservation glass? Japanese archival paper backing?

From what I understand the papers/card used in older posters have acids which cause them to deteriorate and become brittle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KBjL4F9ZTk&list=PL038A83E0321F817F).

Cheers,

- Calvin
Duck you sucker!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »
Calvin.. imo, Id stay away from using any kind of glass in your framing. UV plexi is the way to go, due to heat retention, possible moisture retaining (if the environment is prone to more humidity) etc.

And backing prices can vary, from restorer to restorer. Best to check around and get a quote.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »
From what I understand the papers/card used in older posters have acids which cause them to deteriorate and become brittle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KBjL4F9ZTk&list=PL038A83E0321F817F).

what period of time are you talking about?

I have posters I've owned for 40 years that look as good today as they did then

if you're framing, don't use glass, use plexi. Glass will kill paper

if you're hanging framed stuff, keep it out of the sunlit areas and rotate what you have up as any light does fade posters over time

for preservation, just make sure the environmental issues are dealt with, and the paper will be just fine
no sun, heat or moisture.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
And as Sue from Hollywood Poster Frames wrote (from her website), regarding glass and plexi:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3320.msg55515.html#msg55515

-Jeff

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »
And as Sue from Hollywood Poster Frames wrote (from her website), regarding glass and plexi:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3320.msg55515.html#msg55515

Cheers, this is very interesting. I have some other antiques (non-movie posters) which I also need to frame (antique flags, some yosegaki etc), but I am going to seek a quality framer for those.
Duck you sucker!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 03:52:28 PM »
Cheers, this is very interesting. I have some other antiques (non-movie posters) which I also need to frame (antique flags, some yosegaki etc), but I am going to seek a quality framer for those.

By 'quality framer' I assume you are discussing someone other than the big box stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc).  Those stores have considerably less experience and knowledge.  I believe Sue will still do your framing when you send her the material.  Give her a call, as everything I have had her do was first rate, and generally cost effective.
-Jay-

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
By 'quality framer' I assume you are discussing someone other than the big box stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc).  Those stores have considerably less experience and knowledge.  I believe Sue will still do your framing when you send her the material.  Give her a call, as everything I have had her do was first rate, and generally cost effective.

Is she UK based? ;-) I will most likely try to find a decent framer in central London, that is basically where I'm based.
Duck you sucker!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
She's US based.

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »
what is necessary about linenbacking the poster in question?
it doesn't seem to have any condition issues

to anyone who thinks linenbacking a nice condition poster is the 'right way'.

Heritage just sold a linenbacked Casablanca for $38,200.00

last time they sold an unbacked copy, 16 months ago, they got $77,675.00

an unbacked copy sold for more than double the backed copy.

That should tell us exactly where the value lay. The 'right way' (especially in this case), is not to back.

For the most part, I agree with you all the way.  But I was just speaking myself personally, I sometimes like to see things touched up and done better then its current state of decent looking, just me though.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »
For the most part, I agree with you all the way.  But I was just speaking myself personally, I sometimes like to see things touched up and done better then its current state of decent looking, just me though.

to each his own of course.. but your sacrilegious ways will be addressed when you are at the pearly gates!!

;D

-------

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 11:03:35 AM »
Hahahahahaha, oh man I'm in trouble aren't I.

devil 2

to each his own of course.. but your sacrilegious ways will be addressed when you are at the pearly gates!!

;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »
Hahahahahaha, oh man I'm in trouble aren't I.

devil 2

cheers

-------